DC to NYC - Amtrak $$ worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My H's college age daughter will be visiting during the holidays and we are trying to decide whether to take her to NYC for the day. She is from the west coast and has never been so it would be an adventure, but here's the thing... we would only go for a day. We can take the Amtrak from DC on the moring of the 20th and get in before lunch and then catch the last train home at 11:05 pm that night. I know we could have a fun day, but the tickets would cost $600 ($200 each)! Is this worth it in your view? I don't think driving would be any fun - though if we did drive we could stay over night for the same price as taking the train. Thoughts, please...thanks!!
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 05:48 AM

I don't think it is worth the money to go up for one day.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 05:57 AM
LN

I have gone to NYC for the day by both Amtrak and by bus. If Amtrak wants $200 a person I think I'd check with the bus companies BOLT and MEGA Bus. They sell on the tickets online and the buses are clean - tickets aare about $25 a person. Check their online sites.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 05:57 AM

You could also fly; Delta is showing a roundtrip fare of $169 for a flight departing out of WAS at 6:30 and returning from JFK at 9:30.

Not saying that I would do this---but just in case you wanted to consider all of your options.

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 06:07 AM

How about the adventure of taking the bus ($50 round trip) and staying over night: http://www.dc2ny.com/home.aspxhttp:/....com/home.aspx

HTTY

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 06:44 AM

For a single-day trip, Amtrak is absolutely not worth it. But if you don't choose either Bolt Bus or MegaBus, I think you should still consider driving.

What you do is park in NJ and ride the PATH or NJ Transit into the city. The Washington Post Travel section has had several articles on this subject (recommending good park-and-ride lots for people coming up from DC), so search their site for some specific recs.

Parking and riding adds to your cost but wouldn't be anywhere near the cost of Amtrak. And you could still head back fairly late and miss the traffic.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Another for "not worth it". I used to have this debate with myself when I lived in closer Baltimore and opted for Philadelphia instead if I were really craving a "New Yorkish" experience for a day trip. New York was too much wear-and-tear and I reserved a trip there for when I had a full weekend free. Came to really love Philly that way over about 10 trips.

If you want a train adventure (no driving) plus city, you might consider Baltimore (or pricing Philadelphia). Nothing like New York for sure, but an urban experience unto itself with some charming neighbourhoods, quite different from DC and certainly unlike anything west coast.

DANIEL
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Unfortunately, the train really isn't a cost-effective option to driving, especially for three people (and especially since gas prices have dropped).

If you really hate driving, particularly for the return trip, the bus is probably a better option, as others have noted. You could fly, but then you're going to to get hit with a $50 cab fare each way to get into and out of the city. BTW, if you drive, there are plenty of midtown lots where you can park for $40 or less all day.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I am starting to think driving is the thing to do. If my H drives there and I drive back that will split the task. Now I need to figure out where to park! We are city drivers and we would be arriving mid morning on a Saturday, so I'm not too worried about parking in the city if there is a convenient lot in the $40 or under range. Or if you have experience with this and would recommend parking in NJ I am open to that too. Maybe we could take a ferry across to Manhattan - that would be fun. Thoughts?
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM

I like using Icon's parking site to estimate costs. It lets you look up prices by date and time.
www.iconparking.com

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Long drive for a day trip.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM

I would agree with Katie and use iconparking.com near wherever you plan to enter Manhattan.

Another option is to drive to Jersey City near a PATH station (like a subway). Exchange Place and Pavonia are both convenient and I think both have lots of garage options. Here's the PATH map that should have parking info if you click on the station name.
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave.../html/map.html

I wouldn't rule out the bus option though if the location is near enough to where you live. Both megabus.com and boltbus.com get good reviews, have new buses and it's nice to be driven.

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Another post suggesting to reconsider the bus.

The DC to NY express busses are clean, easy, and cheap. There is much more room than an airline seat. The time is only 30 more than the train. Most of them drop you off right near Times Square. Megabus and Boltbus are not the only options. Greyhound and others have lowered fares on their nonstop DC-NY routes to compete.

Try it - you'll never drive, train, or fly to NY again.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Okay - I have to admit it, I'm a bus snob. I have heard about the buses and people saying they are great, but I keep coming back to what a downer riding on a bus after a great day in NYC would be. It seems so 'high school'. It woudl make sense to take the bus there though adn then teain back (the buses don;t come back alte enough to make it worth a day trip). I guess I should get over my bus aversion!!
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM

I've taken that train as I live in DC, and it never used to be that much. It never was cheap compared to trains in Europe, but I thought it was more around $100 a person. Anyway, I'd never spend that for a day trip, and flying is no better and wastes way too much time.

I really would consider the bus if I were you, there are several express buses doing that route which are pretty cheap.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM

The good thing about the bus is that you can rest on the way home; if it's a full day (which it most certainly will be!) neither of you may want to be in the mood to drive. You can chat about the day and maybe sleep!
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
LN

If you really want the train here's slight savings.

Sale Fares That Make You Jingle All the Way, But Only For a Few More Days

Getting an extra 15% off during the Northeast Regional Winter Sale is a great reason to ride. The online-only sale ends on Friday, December 12, 2008, and is valid for travel on the Northeast Regional and Empire Service trains, from December 9, 2008 to February 28, 2009. Act now and save.

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Unfortunately, the date OP is talking about going is a blackout date for that discount. Even if it were available, at $122/person x 3roundtrip vs. a total of maximum $160 for all 3 of you by bus (and probably less) I think you could get over the snob issue of the bus. You probably can't drive yourselves for that amount given gas, tolls and parking.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM

My friend in Baltimore drives to Metropark in New Jersey, parks in the parking inexpensive garage across from the train station, and takes the train from there. While Amtrak stops there, you can also take the New jersey transit train which is probably cheaper.

However, I like the idea of not having to make the long drive home after a full day--the bus might be a good option.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Definitely consider the bus. Amtrak is worth it if you can get some of the lower fares, but at $600 for 3 it's too much for a day, IMO.

I've driven up and back many times from Ellicott City (about 3.5 hrs), but it is a haul, and fairly tiring. And on the 20th the traffic could be pretty heavy.

There are some pretty nice bus lines that are very comfortable, and have reserved seating, express trips, movies on the way home, a rest room, etc. One that goes from Baltimore, Superior tours, even includes a bagel, orange juice, and fruit in the morning. They charge $55 per person round trip - you could save yourself $435 at that rate!