Reload this Page >

Medical Facilities in Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 08:39 PM
Noah

How does the quality of the medical facilities in Hawaii compare with those in the major mainland cities?

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 10:56 PM
Melinda

I have never used them. I do know my brother lives there and just had lots of work done at Trippler in Oahu. All the locals call it The Crippler. Sorry I can only offer a chuckle.

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 11:07 PM
dmd808

Tripler Hospital is for military only, so I don't have any direct experiences with them, but have heard the same as Melinda has.

There are other major hospitals here, Kaiser, Queen's, Kapiolani, Castle, Straub, St. Francis... all of which are very much comparable to the mainland cities. The facilities are large, well staffed, and up to date with the latest medical technology.

Aloha

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 11:13 PM
kalena

Honolulu has state-of-the art medical facilities: Queens Hospital, Kapiolani Hospital and Straub and Kaiser clinics. Outer island hospitals can handle garden-variety situations quite ably. Major trauma patients are usually airlifted to Honolulu.

Trippler is a military hospital, and only active military, dependents, or veterans are eligible for services there. It doesn't have a great reputation, but it also doesn't serve the civilian population.

All counties have excellent paramedics, outstanding 911 operators, and rapid response teams...and of course, the world's best lifeguards.

Hoping you never have to use any of these services...
Aloha,
-k

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 12:36 AM
Noah

Thank you to all who have replied and to all who will reply.