Medical Coverage for Europe/France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in France longer than 4 months. I've been purchasing insurance with airlines to cover medical problems while in Europe. It is very affordable with excellent protection. Our concern is if we stay longer than 4 months. Maximum with airlines is only 4 months and one must return to homeland before you are able to buy insurance on another flight. What company provides health insurance for retirees or anyone for that matter. We are US citizens. 65years old.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 08:24 AM

(probably needs to be moved to Europe forum)
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM

I don't know but I agee with JJ495 - post on the Europe board to see what local Europeans can add.

From personal experience in France. My husband got an intestinal virus and we walked into a doctor's office and paid $25. out of pocket which included all meds. My daughter did the same while traveling in the north of France. Again her med bill for an office visit and meds was very low. It's almost cheaper than paying yearly premiums. Our monthly medical premiums are around $550/yr.

I would check with an expert on the French medical system and try to find out how easy is it for tourist to access. You can also check with Medicare to see if you can pay for services in France if need be and then get reimbursed.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM

make that $550/month
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM

{This IS also posted on Europe board}
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 10:13 AM

Do you qualify - have visas to stay in France for that long? A US tourist visa won;t allow it. And obviously Medicare won;t cover you ex-US. If this is coverage you are buying to qualify you to stay in France for a longer time I would think you should look at insurance companies in France. Otherwise check out travel insurance with medical included - just make sure you qualify for everything.

And agree that you will get more info on the europe board - from people who have done this.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Perhaps your supplemental ( to Medicare) covers you while abroad. Mine dies. Look at www.accessamerica.com too for their trip insurance which includes emergency medical and dental coverage.. they have links to their medical evacaution coverage too.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:14 AM

PLEASE READ NYTRAVELER'S POST!

Now, I have stopped shouting.

You cannot legally stay in France for more than 90 days with a tourist visa. In the good old days, you could enter and leave France without getting your passport stamped so no one knew how long you were there. It was especially easy when the Chunnel train left from Waterloo. You sort of flashed your passport before boarding the train and walked away happily at Gare du Nord. Malheureusement, that is no longer the case.

If you are trying to buy insurance to qualify for a long term visa or if you are EU nationals, excuse me.

Otherwis, you should ask at the French consulate for the names of companies in France that will provide the insurance you need. It is their job to promote the commercial interests of France.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Visa requirements aside, the one reason you may want to have good supplemental travel insurance is for the possibility of the need for a medical evacuation and interruption of the trip to repay any prepaid expenses.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Visa requirements aside, the one reason you may want to have good supplemental travel insurance is for the possibility of the need for a medical evacuation and interruption of the trip to repay any prepaid expenses.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 05:15 AM

The OP posted on her/his thread on the Europe Forum that they have or are obtaining a long term visa. So there is no reason to discuss that subject on this thread.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 05:18 AM

insuremytrip.com quotewright.com

always do my own cost effective package

with quality providers Amex Global Travel Shield

or Patriot 2 of my favs from less than $1/da per person

You can only stay in Schengen for 90 days

so make a new plan after that.

shoestring backpacker insurance with www.columbusdirect.com

not great but cheap.

Insurance provided by airlines etc scammy covers little

costs more one of the biggest rip offs going cancel that.

Happy Hunting,
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 05:21 AM

of course IF you have a visa you will be ok

stasying longer...