McNeil River bears

Old May 17th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Wanda

McNeil River bears

On Fordors Choice of things to see there is
listed the McNeil River bears. Where is the McNeil River?

Old May 17th, 2000, 06:07 AM
John

Hi Wanda,
It's in southwest Alaska, a couple of hours flying time (little planes) from Anchorage. You may have seen films of the brown bears fishing for the jumping salmon at a couple of rapids on the river - real National Geographic stuff. It's become a big tourist draw since it was popularized on TV. There are tours available from travel agents and some Anchorage air operators.

Old May 24th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Scott McMurren

McNeil River--It's tought to get there, since you have to have a winning lottery number. Closer and more accessible is the Redoubt Bay Lodge. 50-min. flight from Anchorage. GREAT bear viewing. Check with Carl & Kirsten Dixon at (907)274-2710. Or visit their website:
http://www.withinthewild.com

For a free subscription to the Alaska Travelgram, send an email to:
[email protected]
or visit the website:
http://TourSaver.com

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 12:58 PM
Tami

Hello Wanda -
Please be careful when booking a bear viewing trip. On advice received on this site, I booked a bear viewing trip for my husband and myself to Redoubt Bay, and it was a complete disaster! Not only did we not see any bears, but we spent time floating around in a boat that had run out of gas - our guide forgot to check it before we left the dock. During salmon feeding season you may need a permit to photograph/view bears at McNeil - check the the Department of the Interior for availability. I know some of the permits to visit McNeil are done on a lottery basis. Good luck and happy bear viewing! Tami

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 03:36 PM
Bob

Message: My wife and I would like to see and photograph the Alaskan brown bears. McNeil sounds wonderful but I've read that only 250 people win the lottery. Attainable without a lottery is Brooks Camp in Katmai N.P. but it sounds very expensive. I'd like to hear from people who have been there. What is it like? Are there cheaper ways to go than chartering a package from the Brooks Lodge out of Anchorage? How is the bear watching there in September?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------