Mclean Virginia weekend recommendations -

Jan 31st, 2012, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Mclean Virginia weekend recommendations -

Greetings,

My husband and I will be in Mclean Virginia this weekend - in Tyson corner. We will have a rental car - any recommendations for dining in the area?

We would consider going to DC for the day on Sat.

I will have the day to myself on Monday - toying with going into DC to see museums - I have only been to DC once several years ago... I would not want to drive the car - public transportation.. ?
Jan 31st, 2012, 06:33 AM

www.wmata.com is the website for Metro. It has a trip planner.

I believe the Fairfax Connector is the bus sytem in that area.

The hotel can probably tell you what bus to take, etc.
Jan 31st, 2012, 09:03 AM
ita

check to see if museums are open on Monday
Jan 31st, 2012, 09:13 AM

My kids both live near there - what kind of food do you like - there are lots of choices of restaurants with all sorts of cuisine. The Tysons Corner area is shops and offices with of course the huge mall. The areas surrounding it are mostly residential. With a car it would be easy to drive to a metro station and go into DC.
Jan 31st, 2012, 09:14 AM

The Phillips Collection is not open on Mondays, but most things are
Jan 31st, 2012, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

We love everything! Nothing too fancy - do not want to have a 300.00 dinner or the like, but we love sushi and am always up for good sushi, like a good wine by the glass place as odd as that might sound but I usually drink one glass maybe two and my husband might just have a beer...

I might just go back to the holocaust museum - I was with my daughter last time and felt a little rushed. (she would tell you I spent 5 hours there but not true!).
Jan 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM

For sushi, I highly recommend Tachibana in McLean or Sushi Yoshi in Vienna You won't be disappointed. If you are a fan of kabobs and Persian food -- I am -- try Rose Restaurant (Vienna) or Amoo's House of Kabobs (McLean). Both are excellent. That part of the world doesn't suffer from a lack of middling to high end chains like McCormick & Schmidt or the Palm. Clyde's is a local "chain" and is pretty good American fare.
Jan 31st, 2012, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

That part of the world doesn't suffer from a lack of middling to high end chains like McCormick & Schmidt or the Palm. Clyde's is a local "chain" and is pretty good American fare.>

We would prefer to stay away from chains - depending on the other options of course.

I will check out both the sushi suggestions and actually I am a huge fan of Persian food!
Jan 31st, 2012, 09:54 AM

If you and your DH are headed into DC on Saturday you can drive/park to catch the metro at West Falls Church, Dunn Loring, or even Vienna depending on where your hotel is located. Monday will be a different issue regarding parking unless you want to fight the commuters for a spot. What does your hotel offer for shuttle service?

You shouldn't have trouble getting at will entry to the Holocaust Museum on a February Monday.

Hope you both enjoy your visit.
Jan 31st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

We are staying at Tyson Corner.

My husband said he might want to go to DC on Sat - I am really letting him make the call as he has been working so much. He might just want to hang low - I am sure Sunday he will want to watch the Superbowl.

I think on Monday I will try to use public transportation of some kind to avoid driving in DC - did it once and that was enough for me!
Jan 31st, 2012, 10:10 AM

Some area restaurant that we like:

Tyson's Corner -
Shamshiry Restaurant - Persian
Lebanese Taverna - in Tyson's Galleria

Falls Church
Sunflower - vegetarian
Mirage - Persian - particularly good for Persian sweets
last but not least Mynanmar - Burmese. If you haven't had Burmese cuisine, try it. It is authentic here and delish.
All of these place are $-$$

Avoid the sushi place in the Tyson's Corner mall - the one where the sushi comes around on a conveyer belt. Feh!

If you are in DC's Chinatown Try Chinatown Express. Super cheap, super good. Best homemade noodles anywhere. You can recognize it by the line waiting to get in. I have found the usual wait to be about 15 minutes. Best bargain in town.

If you are visiting the Smithsonian's and want some food, head over the food court at the American Indian Museum for something different. It features native dishes by region.
Jan 31st, 2012, 12:07 PM

I live in the area and second the rec for Tachibana for sushi.

Tachibana is not just any old sushi place. I once met up with two Asia fodorites, both of whom have traveled extensively in Japan (we are talking 15 or more trips apiece for them) and who are sushi fanatics, and this is the sushi place that was chosen for our GTG. The fish is so fresh and high quality, and they have some very hard to get fish. Great menu of non-sushi Japanese food also.

Incredibly good. Best sushi and sashimi I have had, hands down, ever, anywhere.
Jan 31st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Okay emd3 you sold me Now I want to know the two Asia Fodorites
Feb 1st, 2012, 06:24 AM

How about saving the Turkish place for lunch on Tuesday I've never had Turkish food!
Feb 1st, 2012, 06:31 AM

Turkish place???
Feb 1st, 2012, 06:33 AM

My apologies (I don't know where that came from...lol) Persian place
Feb 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

I read this this morning quickly and was like... Turkish? I must have missed it.... and now see I was not losing it. Did you mean the Persian place?
Feb 4th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to say thank you! We are here and had dinner last night at tachibana - it was excellent - within our price point. My husband gave it two thumbs up and said fodors has yet to fail!

Off to dc the day today!
Feb 4th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Feb 4th, 2012, 07:31 AM

mrwunrfl and kuranosuke. It was a memorable meal.

So glad you got to Tachibana. Have fun w/the rest of the weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO