Maximizing 4 days in Anchorage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - Can anyone please provide some "can't miss" day trips from Anchorage? I only have 4 days and want to maximize my time there. Thanks!!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Definitely make a day trip to Seward and Exit Glacier national park. It's an easy drive to and from ANC, and the scenery is just breathtaking! (I spent a month in ANC on business, and on my ONE day off, this was what we did!)
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I'd second the Seward trip. Take your time poking along down the road, and if possible, turn it into an overnight.

Add a day trip to Talkeetna for Denali flightseeing with a Hatcher Pass sidetrip.

If overnights are a possibility, you could do a three-day, two-night Anchorage to Seward (overnight) to Homer (overnight). Then return for Anchorage (night) and hit Talkeetna the next day.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Sorry, but I do not recommend Seward as a day trip. The key is to take advantage of all the great activies there. On a day trip you are looking at about 6 hours in transit, far better is at least 1 overnight. Especially recommended are the Kenai Fjords boat trips of at least 6 hours on the water. Plenty else to do too.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Obviously an overnight in Seward is far superior, but for someone seeking to get the most out of four day trips, it's worth considering.

The key here is the OP's word ``maximize.''

If you make multiple trips to AK or one long one, then a trip like this isn't worth it. But if this is likely your only trip to Southcentral, then it's worth a 14- to 18-hour day IMO.

For many folks, a trip to Seward is the highlight of the trip and few of the other available ``day trips,'' with Talkeetna flightseeing a noteably exception, come close.

Perhaps the OP could book some more expensive flightseeing trips, i.e. to Brooks Lodge or Katmai. For many travelers, however, multiple flightseeing becomes prohibitively expensive.

You can have a great time doing Hatcher Pass, the coastal trail, the Museum of History and Art, and the Native Heritage center, the ER nature center and downtown Anchorage, but a nice day in Seward is hands down better.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Here are some things we really enjoyed:
The Alaska Native Heritage Center (2 for 1 on with the Toursaver coupon),(once there be sure to wait of the guided tour - much more interesting that way), The History and Art Museum (and have lunch there - very interesting and delicious food), Spend an hour in the Botanical Gardens, (Use mosquito repellent wipes with DEET!!), and then drive up into the mountains, either the Eagle Ridge Area or the Hilltop Area, walk on some trails, look at the beautiful homes and views of the area.
If it is Saturday or Sunday go to the outdoor market downtown. Walk down the steps to the river and watch the salmon
Drive south along the Turnagain Arm Inlet towards Portage. We went there several times trying to spot Beluga Whales. We never saw the whales, but we saw the Dall Sheep on the cliffs, Mamma and baby Moose, wind surfers and lots of beautiful scenery. We pulled off at the Indian Meat something or other and that was an interesting stop. Drive on down to Girdwood (just 40 miles away) and check out the Alyeska Prince Resort. We enjoyed the tram ride and lunch at the top. Then just a few miles further to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. It is very interesting and you can easily spend an hour driving around and walking around looking at the animals. We then visited the Begich, Boggs Visitor Center beside Portage Lake. The short movie is excellent. We then took the 1 hour Portage Glacier Tour which goes out on the lake and up to the Portage Glacier. It was beautiful calm. It does get cold up by the glaciers, so you will want a sweater/jacket to layer. A hat helps a lot!! We ate lunch at the Portage Lodge....not spectacular food, but a good lunch at a fair price. Good pie! Then we walked up to the Byron Glacier. If you would rather take the longer Glacier tour and see lots more than just a lake and a couple of glaciers, go through the Whittier Tunnel and take the Prince William Sound (PWS) cruise 4 hour cruise. I hear it is great.
Day 5. We drove up to Talkeetna (left Anchorage at 10 a.m. for a 1 p.m. flight) and then took a twin engine 8 seater plane around the Summit of Mt. McKinley. (Use your flight Saver Coupons for a 2 for 1 deal on Aero Talkeetna.) We stopped at the Princess Denali Lodge just to enjoy the view and the restrooms. Ha. Then we drove back towards Anchorage, with a side trip on the Wasilla/Palmer Road up to Hatcher's Pass. it is a gorgeous, winding road. We wanted to sto at the Musk Ox Farm, but missed the turn so we just went on. We got back to Anchorage around 5 pm.
We asked the locals what they liked to do and here are some of their suggestions that we enjoyed: drive out on Spenard Rd. to Lake Hood and watch the sea/float planes take off and land, Drive down to Earthquake Park by the airport and view the skyline as well as see huge planes coming in from China, walk along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. We were there on a "First Friday" and so enjoyed going to many art gallaries, sampled snacks and saw wonderful art, rubbing shoulders with the locals.
There are so many things to do we really didn't get into more than a couple of shops...they all tend to carry the same things anyway. We also made 2 trips to WalMart for Bandaids for blisters, snacks, etc. We would not have had enough time to go to Seward and back to Anchorage in one day, we are too busy pulling over and enjoying the ride. You could do it, just make sure you have gas because there are NO gas stations between Girdwood and Seward. Have fun!!