Apartment accommodation in New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a visit end February and am very keen to stay in a small apartment or suite hotel so that I have access to kitchen facilities, as I'll be on my own and want to be able to cater for myself. Even a microwave would be OK. Can anyone recommend anywhere - I've never been to NY and really want to be near Central Park. Also are laundromattes plentiful?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 03:00 AM

Almost all short-term apartment rentals are illegal in NYC and many listed places are scams - so this is not really something you want to do.

Instead look at a hotel suite for more room and kitchen facilities. Feb prices should be dirt cheap. On the upper west side have a look at the Bacon hotel (you may have to call them about a suite) for a pleasant hotel at reasonable prices. It's 2 blocks from the Park in a great neighborhood.

This is primarily a residential area so there shoujd be a launderette nearby.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 04:56 AM

I think nytraveler meant the Beacon Hotel.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 05:44 AM

In addition to laundromats, most dry cleaners in NYC (which are particularly plentiful) will take laundry and do it for you for a per-pound rate. A lot of New Yorkers do this. Most laundromats also do washing for you, particularly in Manhattan. This service is usually next-day or at most two days.

I think the Beacon hotel will work. Most of the Affinia hotels have so-called "studios" (i.e., hotel rooms with a little kithenette of a microwave and mini-fridge). Radio City Apartments has full-fledged units with real kitchens, as does Staybridge Suites.

But I'd also caution you against VRBO, Air BnB, and Craigslist in NYC particularly. You'll find lots of apartments listed, but almost all of them are illegal, not a problem when things go right (you won't be arrested ... it's illegal to rent out most apartments in NYC for less than 30 days but not illegal to rent one yourself) but a disaster when things go wrong since you'll be on the street and have no legal recourse but to stay in an expensive hotel. Also Craigslist in particular is full of scams in NYC.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 06:06 AM

Yes - my typing that early is esp bad.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! I checked the Beacon Hotel website and it looks ideal. I also checked www.oyster.com and there are lots of photos of the hotel facilities which include a huge laundry room! So I'll be making a booking there I think ...

Thanks again!
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM

Chatswood:

You might also like the Milburn hotel in the same area as the Beacon http://www.milburnhotel.com - stayed there some years ago and it was nice. They now serve a continental breakfast which is a added plus. See reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com

Sandy
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Salisbury Hotel-57th St.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Chatswood, SandyBrit put me on to the Milburn a couple of years ago ( hi Sandy ) and I stayed there when I travelled also as a sole traveller. I had a studio room with its own kitchenette and a free breakfast. I was very happy there. It is in the same lovely area as the Beacon which gets great reviews on here . If you don't go ahead with the Beacon, I recommend you consider the Milburn. Enjoy that fabulous city!
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 11:00 PM

Forgot to say the Milburn has a laundry which you are at liberty to use and also there is a laundromat almost next door to the hotel.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 06:39 AM

Marriott Residence Inn in the middle of Manhattan has equipped kitchens with microwaves, coffeemaker, dishes and dishwashers, plus a fairly spacious room. Washers and dryers in the basement. Other amenities (wi-fi, free breakfast you can take back to your room). Great service.