Maui - whale watching from land

Mar 12th, 2001, 10:58 AM
bill

Maui - whale watching from land

I will be in Maui / Wailea the first week of April. Any advice on where to see whales from land? (my wife gets really seasick). Any update on how the whale watching in general is this year, and will be in April would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 12th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Beth

Bill,

We were in Maui 2 years ago and stayed in Kihei right across the street from Kamaole Beach II and could sit right on the beach and watch the whales frolicking in the water right in front of us. You could see them with the naked eye but binoculars where better. Also try going to Laperouse Bay, take Hwy 31 south past Wailea. We saw dolphins and whales.

Mar 12th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Paige

We were in Maui about this time last year and easily saw whales from shore. It was one of the most thrilling sites I have ever seen. We did take a couple of snorkel trips out and saw whales very close by - close enough that the captain had to turn the boat's motor off. We even saw a mom and her calf who breached time after time, sometimes in tandem. We were all cheering like mad from the boat. We also coasted among pods of spinner dolphins. I'll never forget it!

Mar 12th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Tammy

I was in Maui two weeks ago and also saw many whales from the land. We did do a whale watch trip and it was neat but we really saw the whales very well from either our balcony or walking on the beach. I was near Kapalua but probably the whales are everywhere of the coast of Maui. I have also heard they like the harbor area in the Malea (sp?) area. Binoculars are great but the naked eye worked fine also. have fun!

Mar 12th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Vicki

We were on Maui about two weeks ago, and especially from the area offshore from Kihea/Maaleaa (sp?), the whales were jumping like "popcorn", it was awesome. With a good set of binocs, you wouldn't need a boat trip to have a good view of the whales. Enjoy.

Mar 13th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Anna

We were just on Maui from Feb 10-17 and saw many whales from land. Last year, we were there in mid April and saw only a few blow holes. Definitely bring a pair of binoculars for looking.

Mar 17th, 2001, 11:40 AM
carol

Just got bac from Maui last night!!! Saw tons of whales from shore off the beaches of Kaanapali. Drove up to the Kapula Bay Hotel area (gorgeous) for sunset and saw whales doing the ole pectoral slap thing at each other!!! McGregor point is a good spot...saw 5 whales together there. Went on a Trilogy Day Sail (talk your wife into getting a patch) and saw four whales "breeching"...jumping out...wow!!!!