Help with planning for things to do in Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 04:56 PM
kwl

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to get some advice for my honeymoon this May. We are spending 2 weeks on Maui, Kauai and the Big Island. I know that I need to do a search on this board for recommendations for activities and places to dine, and will get to that soon.

What I would like to know is - what do I need to reserve for now? Or, can I review tour books on the long flight over and make reservations with the concierge once we arrive?

We are really strapped for time with last minute wedding plans, and can use any guidance we can get. And, if anyone wants to give us ideas, we would love to hear them.

Thanks.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:17 PM
N.R.

I think you should reduce it to only 2 islands, especially if you are including Big Island.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 10:00 PM
kalena

KWL:

It really depends on your interests and energy level whether you want to visit three or two islands during that time. Both options are doable. You should definitely pick up a few magazines (Conde Nast, Islands, whatever), or check the travel aisle at your nearest bookstore. On-line, start at the Hawaii Visitor's Bureau web site at gohawaii.com, and of course search this forum. Go for it, create a travel guide at fodor's portal. After all it IS your honeymoon.

IMHO a little time/emotional investment on your part will go a long way towards fulfilling your fantasies, and you'll have fun doing it. One thing I would NOT recommend is making your decisions on the flight over. Most top-end resorts and nice little B&B's are booked far in advance for the summer months.
aloha,
k

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:59 AM
kwl

I suppose I need to clarify. We already have made our hotel reservations on all 3 islands. It could be a little much to do all 3 in 2 weeks and we realize that.

What I am looking for is - what activities/restaurants do I need to reserve for now, before we leave? I don't want to lose out on some wonderful experiences b/c I don't have a lot of time to plan (I am a cpa and tax season does not end until 2 weeks b/f my wedding).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 08:54 AM
scigirl

kwl,

I was on Maui in November and we made reservations for the Haleakala bike ride and a luau after we arrived on island. I have no idea how busy things will be in May. There are many many tour operators and I would think that with a few days advance notice you should be able to book everything once you arrive. Most of the activities seemed to have same day openings in November. We had no problem with restaurants either.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your wedding. No matter how crazy the planning gets remember that you will be able to relax on the honeymoon!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Rob

Last novemebr I spent 3 weeks travelling around the island you are going to.

Take it easy - Hawaii is about relaxation -not rushing round.

Snorkel on Maui, then drink a Mai Tai as the sun sets, visit the volcano national park on Big Isand and take a West Coast hike on Kaui - with that - you will have more than enough memories and good times.

I wouldn't recommend a visit to the North East coast of Maui- it takes a long time to get there and it wasn't worth it for me.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Mike

Chances are anything you want to do in the way of activities, the hotel concierge can take care of after your arrival. I am not aware of any activity that requires more than a day or so advanced reservation, and the hotels can get you in to just about anything. You really don't want to lock yourself into a schedule, so don't commit yourself to anything until you absolutely have to.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 01:09 PM
annemarie

You might want to let the people on the board know where you are staying to better recommend dining places, etc.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Sharon

Old Lahaina Luau on Maui is not to be missed. It is the best luau in my opinion. It requires an advance reservation if you want traditional mat seating, which is Japanese style, close to the stage. Check out their website for details. It is awesome!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 07:39 AM
kwl

At Anne Marie's suggestion, I am posting where we are staying so that I can get some suggestions on where to dine.

On Maui, we are staying at the Rennaissance Wailea.

On Kauai, we are staying in a timeshare in Kapaa which is on the east coast. We are only in Kauai for 3 days, primarily to do the touristy things and see the waterfalls, rainbows, etc. We are always willing to drive for a nice dinner (we don't live near the city, and so typically drive at least 30 minutes when we do go out).

On the Big Island, we are staying at Kona Village, which is all-inclusive and covers our meals. So, unless there is a fabulous restaurant, we will dine on-site.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 07:39 AM
kwl

At Anne Marie's suggestion, I am posting where we are staying so that I can get some suggestions on where to dine.

On Maui, we are staying at the Rennaissance Wailea.

On Kauai, we are staying in a timeshare in Kapaa which is on the east coast. We are only in Kauai for 3 days, primarily to do the touristy things and see the waterfalls, rainbows, etc. We are always willing to drive for a nice dinner (we don't live near the city, and so typically drive at least 30 minutes when we do go out).

On the Big Island, we are staying at Kona Village, which is all-inclusive and covers our meals. So, unless there is a fabulous restaurant, we will dine on-site.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Beth

I would suggest waiting until you arrive and look over some books on your flight in to decide what you want to do. There are so many tour companies to choose from. We used Barefoot Discount Travel to do our bookings on Maui. They have many different tour operators that they work with and can do it all for you at the same time. My suggestions for Maui is the sunrise bike trip down Haleakala and the drive to Hana. We also took a helicopter flight around the island which was awesome! We spend last year on the Big Island and took a snorkel trip, a plane flight and a bike trip. This year we are going to Kauai and will be taking a two hour helicopter tour that lands at a waterfall and serves you lunch and you can swim. We are also going to kayak up the river. Have a great honeymoon.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 01:03 PM
kim

I've been to Hawaii twice, but on my own as more of an island hopping adventure trip. First piece of advice - take one of those disposable panoramic cameras with you. There are so many beatiful landscapes - especially on Kauai - that are far too expansive for a regular camera lense.

You should definitely take the suggestion below on a recommended luau. A luau on Hawaii is such a great experience. There are also sunset/champagne cruises everywhere. Just make sure to find one that only takes out one or very few couples. Volumes of people will kill the atmosphere of a sunset cruise.

Staying in Kona on the big island, you're kind of far from Volcano National Park. However, if you're feeling energetic, rent a car and do the drive. How often in your lifetime will you have the chance to see an erupting volcano? The lava vents pouring lava into the ocean and the huge white steam clouds against the blue, blue ocean were breathtakingly dramatic.

Also on the big island is the highest waterfall in Hawaii. It's near Hilo, again on the other side of the island from Kona. If you're in the area it's definitely worth the stop. You walk down an easy, paved trail through an amazing rain forest that all of a sudden opens up to a beautiful view of the waterfall. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the waterfall! Here's where that panoramic camera comes in handy - turn the camera so the view finder is vertical to get the whole waterfall in the shot.

Have a beautiful trip.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Laurie

I can offer a few things to consider re: Kona Village...Wednesday night is the Paniolo BBQ. The Hale Moana is available as an alternative but the Hale Samoa is closed. This is also the case on Friday evening, Luau night. Many activities will revolve around the Luau during the day on Friday. The Imu ceremony (around 2:30, I think) is interesting, as is the opening of the Imu just before dinner. The Luau food offerings are the same as most. You are seated at very long tables. The show is quite good. Because the tables run perpendicular to the stage, I suggest arriving as early as possible to get a good seat. If you have been to a Luau, you might want to pass on dinner. We generally reserve an early table at the Hale Moana, which is very quite because most everybody else is at the Luau, then walk to the Luau grounds by 7:30 or so and sit on the bridge near the stage to watch the show. It makes a lovely, far less touritsy, evening.

The Hale Samoa often fills in advance. If you want to try it, I suggest you reserve now so you can get your preferred time. The menu rotates every three days. When you arrive if you decide you'd rather eat at the Hale Moana it is easy to change your reservation. It can be difficult to do it the other way. I am assuming you know about the Hale Moana and Hale Somoa, if not let me know and I'll give you more info.

Three other tips...ask Bubba, Joel or Teoni at the beach shack to direct you to the black sand beach on the property.
Best access for snorkeling, very peaceful, usually private, romantic and beautiful...around 6 pm, as the sun is beginning to set, take a glass of wine and stroll to the beach a little past the Shipwreck (the guys will show you). The turtles make their nightly trek out of the ocean, the beach is empty and the sunsets are wonderful...if you are there on a Monday, try to see John Keawe at the Bora Bora. His music is wonderful. Request "Kona Sunset", I assure you it will be an enchanting memory from your honeymoon.

I can't think of anywhere in Wailea that would require a reservation from the mainland. Check out the better dining rooms at the nearby hotels, Grand, Four Seasons, etc. If one catches your eye you shouldn't have a problem making a reservation for the next one or two nights.

Kapaa is away from the two main resort areas of Kauai, although good restaurants are available.If you plan to visit Hanalei (Princeville) or Poipu, advance reservations shouldn't be necessary, just allow drive time. In any event, I encourage you to take a drive to Hanalei and beyond. Wonderful!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:03 PM
linda from NJ

KWL

My husband and I got married at Kona Village. It is a wonderful resort and the food is very good. You can take a helicopter ride right from the resort. Also they have a pretty good snorkeling trip that leaves from there. Don't forget to go for a massage. In the Big Island you can to the Shopping area of Kona which is fun also Volcanos National Park, Black Sand Beach, Waipio Valley is awesome and not that far. There is a great little town in the hills called Houlualoa.

In Kauai make sure to go to the North Shore it is absolutely beautiful. Kae Beach is nice. Also Captain Andy's has a half day boat tour around the Napoli Coast which is very remote.This leaves from south of Poipu. Many movies were made there. They have lunch on the boat and snorkeling. It is great. A helicopter ride over Kauai is great.

In Maui go on the Road to Hana, Lahaina for shopping,Haleakala (bike ride)and visit the many nice beaches. Wailea were you are staying has some nice beaches.

Make your reservations when you get there as there are many discounts you can get. Your concierge can make the reservations for you. I would however make your reservations before you go for Captain Andys Boat Tour in Kauai. They get booked.

Good Luck and have fun. You can E-mail if you have more questions. I have been to Hawaii twice and know the Island pretty well. We went to the same 3 that you are going to.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Robin

Hi KWL......

I went to Hawaii about 2 1/2 years ago in November for our anniversary and did 4 islands. Now I know most people would say to do the helicopter tour on Kauai but we did the helicopter tour the Big Island and I thought it was the highlight of our trip. We didn't book it in advance and frankly that wouldn't have mattered anyway since the weather was so louzy and they were canceling helicopter tours left and right. It was a view that you could only see via helicopter. I believe it's the only way you could get close enough to see the hot lava from the volcano which is something you can't do if you go by car into the park.

I also believe that you don't need to book any activities in advance except the Old Lahaina Luau.

Congratulations and have a wonderful time in Hawaii!!!

Robin

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Sandy

Actually, in January of this year you could see flowing lava from the end of the Chain of Craters road. The park had a telescope set up for viewing. Call the park before you leave Kona to see what the viewing is like for that day. The best time to really see the lava is about sunset or later.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Reagan

Hi! I've been to Hawaii 7 times (all 6 islands) over the past few years, and I think you're definitely trying to tackle a lot in a 2-week period. But that said, on Maui I wouldn't miss the drive to Hana (it's for the drive, not Hana itself). If you have time, go a little beyond Hana to Oheo Gulch. Take off EARLY in the day, so you get back before dark. Also, the Old Lahaina Luau is a MUST! Be sure to request mat-style seating. I've been to it 3 times and never tire of it. It's WAY better than the luau at Kona Village Resort on the Big Island. On Kauai, a boat tour along Napali Coast is a MUST. A helicopter tour is almost as good. (I did both in the same day, and I didn't think it was too much.) On the Big Island, you gotta go to the Hilo side, which is much more beatiful than the Kona side. Hapuna Beach is not far from where you're staying and one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, but other than that there's not much on the Kona side. (Hopefully, there's plenty to do at your resort, and besides you're on your honeymoon, so I assume you don't want every day action-packed.) But I must say even though Hilo is wetter, it's incredibly green and lush and just so eautiful, with lots of waterfalls to boost. Plus you're really close to the volcano! I'm headed there in a week myself (just the Big Island) and mainly going to be hiking around the volcano. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 11:46 AM
carol

Just got back from Maui last night...went there last year as well. Spring Break is a very busy time but May should be fine. I agree that the Lahaina Luau may need to be booked in advance, but I'd wait for anything else. The one thing that no one has mentioned is the Trilogy Cruise. We have done that the past two years and loved it. We went to the one off Kaanapali that leaves at 9:00am and went to two different snorkel spots, saw lots of whales and enjoyed a sail back. I'd definnitely do it...and I'd lay low on some of the activities mentioned just because I don't believe in getting up at 5:00am to do anything on vacation!!!!

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 01:06 PM
kalena

You have gotten some great advice here. If you enjoy hiking, you can walk up very close to the actual lava flow off of Chain of Craters Road. It's spectacular on a full-moon, but you have to be well prepared with flashlights, walking shoes. Take it easy, and remember the sunscreen! Best wishes on your marriage, k