Maui trip report

Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:44 PM
Bud
Original Poster

Maui trip report

Planned our first trip to maui for 6 months. Maui Revealed was right on target. Read all your q's and answers here. Thanks, so much of it helped. Found though that lots of opinions depend on age, $ willing to spend, and what you want to do. We are early 50's, (going on 40!!). Wanted to see and do lots since it may be only time there. Booked everything through Pleasant Hawaiian tours. Great outcome. Stayed at Hyatt in Kaanapali. Absolutely the right choice. Beautiful. Ate at Leilani's, & Roys Nicolina. Both Super. Bubba Gump. Upbeat and fun but long wait. Played golf at Kapalua and Kaanapali. Both way overpriced, but you have to do it if you're a golfer. Took the Pony Express ride into Crater. Loved the views, and it was great, but wish it was about an hour shorter. Took a tour mini van on road to hana, because wanted to see it but didn't want to be bothered with the drive. Also great way to do it. Also did Maui princess dinner cruise which was nice, and Hyatt Luau which was like most any other luau. Don't know if this will help anyone else, but again, thanks for helping me. Any Q's??
Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:43 PM

Hi Bud, thanks for your enjoyable trip report. I hope to be headed to Maui in a few months and was wondering what your impression of the "Road to Hana" was as some have said the area is not receiving much rain. How were the waterfalls, flowers etc?
Jul 4th, 2003, 04:55 AM

More details on the Pony Express ride, please. We'll be taking the same ride in 3 weeks, so I'm curious to hear your opinion. Did you happen to catch the sunrise or sunset? Thanks!
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Bud
Original Poster

John,
Road to Hana was beautiful. While not much rain, waterfalls etc. were running aplenty. Certainly worth the trip, but like I said, soetimes the driver can't enjoy it as much for being concerned about the road itself, that's why we opted for the minibus. Bud
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Bud
Original Poster

Sheryl,
We skipped the sunrise. Was a 2 hour car ride from our Hotel. Got there at 9:15 as expected. Only two ways into the crater are hiking and horseback, and while I could have hiked down, I'm not in shape for hiking back up, although some younger true hikers were doing it. The ride itself is a slow walk down the narrow trail for two hours. Sandwich lunch at bottom, then 2 hours back up. Like riding into the Grand Canyon. Views were gorgeous. If you can be content with a slow walk and beautiful scenery, which we were, it's great. If you want the thrill of galloping horses, this isn't it, because the footing for the horses doesn't allow more than a walk. It got to be a bit long, but they can't really make it any shorter. We're glad we did it, and knowing what I know now I would do it if I hadn't done it yet, but having done it once, I wouldn't do it a second time. (does that make sense)?? Overall I think you'll be glad you did it. have a great time. Bud
Jul 8th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Topping for Nancy 03.