Search

Maui Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2001, 10:43 AM
Cindy

Maui Trip Report

Yesterday I typed a detailed and lengthy trip report and then lost the post. So I'll do this in pieces.
ATA flight on time both ways, nice surprise. Pleasant flight except for lots of crying babies.
Everything was smooth with Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays. Stayed at Kaanapali Shores, loved it. One bedroom oceanview, perfect. Got $200 beach club dollars which took care of plenty of mai tais. The beach club is a good restaurant, had ona and filet mignon twice there.
First night, dinner at Leilani's -- Whaler's village, saw first rainbow. Had Opakapaka.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 10:48 AM
cindy

Definitely worth the extra for the convertible. Weather was great, but lots of clouds so no amazing sunsets but it was always beautiful.
Ate at Longhi's twice. Ordered lobster longhi last night, $80 for 2, $55 for 1. The platter for one was enough to feed 3. Pasta, lobster, seafood, etc. Huge.
ATe at Mama's fish once. Pretty restaurant but very very pricey. Dinner prices at lunch. Ok to do once.
Oh, at Longhi's they don't really have a menu except outside on the building.
The waitress SIT down at your table and explain everything, (except the prices, very smart of them)
Went to Hana and lucked out. No traffic either way. Been before but this was totally amazing. It rained a bit while we were in the rain forest. Very nice. We started out about 8am on Wed. My BF loved all the curves of the road.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:55 PM
Roxanne

Hi Cindy
Is this the same Cindy who wrote a few weeks ago asking about the boyfriend who cancelled on Maui then decided to go last minute? If yes, please tell, how did everything turn out? I've been waiting to hear how your trip went? Did boyfriend enjoy himself. Was it as romantic as you'd hope it would be? Hope you had a great time. Please tell more..

Old May 22nd, 2001, 03:59 PM
cindy

Yes, Roxanne, it's me. 99.5% was totally fabulous! We had a couple of very minor disagreements, like when we were on the beach at the hotel and I was going to bring mai tais, he wanted me to put shoes (platforms) on (because he likes shoes), I soon broke him of that. We were together 24/7 for 9 days and it was really great. Haven't ever spent so much time together. He finally relaxed. The weather was so good, in the 80's with cool trade winds. We had several very romantic dinners and bought excellent Ahi at the market, which we ate for breakfast or snacks. Loved the condo at the shores.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 04:04 PM
cindy

After losing my report yesterday I didn't want to make it too long, in case it happens again.
Last 2 days spent on beachs north of Kaanapali. Don't have the map and can't remember the names...but easy to find. Drive up to where the road narrows and watch for all the cars parked on the road. Great snorkeling.
First Beach is called W_______ State Beach, lots and lots of stairs. Very clear very blue water, lots of coral reefs great fish. Nice sandy beach.
The other beach is even prettier, there is a pathway that says keep out, but it doesn't matter everyone goes thru. You have to walk thru the most amazing jungle/forest type trees (Sooooo beautiful) to get to the beach. The name of the beach starts with an H. H_____ Bay. easy to find on map. So worth it! The cove is so calm it is like a lake!
Everyone was very nice in Maui, it was altogether heaven. Can't wait to go back. Might take a long weekend myself. Definitely use the Entertainment Card. Thanks for asking, Roxanne. We had a really wonderful time together and it was just what we needed, although we could have used two more days! Time goes so quickly.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 04:45 PM
Roxanne

Wow. That's wonderful! Sounds like you two had a great time after all!! I'm sure you are glad your boyfriend ended up going after all. I'm sure you would have been thinking about him if he didn't go. Sounds like a much needed vacation for the both of you. We also stayed at the Aston Kaanapali Shore. We love that place. We had an oceanview condo. Very nice and accomadating. Could you go there by yourself? I'm glad boyfriend did decide to go. He owes you that much for your happiness!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:11 PM
cindy

Thanks, Roxanne. Yes, we had the best time we've had in four years together. I guess we need more vacations just us. Preferably in Maui. Sure I would have missed him alot if I went alone this time, but I think I could definitely go for a long weekend alone. Soon. He won't be ready to go back until Oct, Nov or Dec. Maui is actually cheaper than going to Vegas for me. I'm a slot player so the money definitely goes farther in Maui. Although, I did win most of this trip for a friendly 50cent machine a couple of months ago.
I really love the Shores too, maybe we should stop talking about it or everyone will go and they won't have any vacancies when we come back (heheh).
Seriously, we saw the Hyatt and it WAS beautiful, but I prefer a more casual atmosphere for Maui.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:12 PM
cindy

Roxanne, check out my post on Maui soap. I found the best soaps, oils and lotions, they smell so great!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:24 PM
Dan

Cindy,

So glad to hear you and your BF had a wonderful time! I was hoping to get your report before I left for Maui on Thursday.

I want to hear about everything. Did you go to the Old Lahaina Luau? How was Leilani's? We have reservations there too.

Do you have any recommendations for my packing list? Any clothes you wish you had/hadn't brought?

I just bought my underwater camera. Can't wait for the first day of snorkeling!

Dan

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:44 PM
cindy

Dan!!! good to hear from you! Wow, you are leaving on Thurs! I can't wait to go back, it was paradise (I've said that already, huh?)
Went to the Hyatt Luau because we had a 2 for 1 from the package deal. We weren't really into it so much.
Leilani's was good. Longhi's was REALLY good. But be sure to check out the prices on the building outside the restaurant because when the waitress sits down at your table to tell you the menu, she doesn't mention them (heheh).
So great you have the underwater camera, you MUST go to the snorkeling places I mentioned before. Check the map, they are right next to each other.
1st the W__________ State Beach, then the H_________ Bay ( you've GOT to see this place, the trees are beyond belief!!!!)
Where are you staying?

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:49 PM
cindy

ps. Dan, my BF mentioned many times how he wished he had an underwater camera and how the fish were simply unbelievable.
Do take the Road to Hana (early on a weekday).
(Don't bother with Mama's Fish, just my opinion)
Oh, about the clothes. Yes, I have recommendations. Hardly take anything at all.
Surprisingly enough you can find beachwear there at half the price of LA.
My BF brought a ridiculous amount of shirts/clothes cuz he had no time to pack and couldn't decide. Take very little and you will be much happier. I packed really light and still didn't need some things. It did get chilly a couple of nights, but the last few nights were warm and sultry. God I miss it and we've only been back two days!!!!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:30 PM
Dan

Hi Cindy,

That's exactly what I wanted to hear about the clothes. I really want to pack light...and definitely will be purchasing some Hawaiian shirts in Maui!

I'll definitely try to get to Longhi's. We also have reservations at the Plantation House, Swan Court, and Roy's...but there are some open meals in there for Longhi's.

I'm very excited for the snorkeling. The H____Bay place sounds fantastic. Is that a little north of the Kapulua area? We're staying at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel.

I can't wait! And the weather forecast looks fabulous for the week!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 11:18 PM
Ted

Cindy, the beach I'm pretty sure you're referring to is called Honolua Bay, about 10 miles north of Kaanapali. When you walk down to this beach you see a lot of lush trees and hanging vines, so I'm sure this must be it. But the beach NEXT to it is actually called Mokule'ia Beach, so I don't undestand where the "W" comes from that you're referring to -- unless it's Windmills Beach which is not directly next to Honolua Bay like Mokule is!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:01 AM
cindy

Ted, I am pretty sure I read a sign on the first beach that said it was a state park, W something. It does show on the map but I don't have that with me. It's the beach right before the lush tree hanging vine beach (WOW was that gorgeous!!!)
Dan, for lunch try the Lahaina Fish Market (I think that's the name) they seemed reasonable, had really really good Ahi, and we liked the Mai Tais.)
Also, the retail stores are having a hard time, so you can find lots of sales on clothes.
We also went to Kimo's for lunch.
Dan, have you been to the K Beach before? How many days are you staying and who did you make the arrangements with?

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:33 PM
Dan

Hi Cindy,

We are going for 6 days (I wish it were more!)....but we will make the most of it. We actually booked the airfare, care and hotel separately, as it was cheaper than the packages we looked at.

I can't wait until tomorrow!

Dan

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:40 PM
cindy

Hey, Dan! I am soooooooo excited for you! Have the very best time ever-- it really is paradise. And you can't pack light enough, heheheh, trust me.
Check out the Aston Kaanapali Shores hotel while you are there. (maybe for your next trip...I love them!)
Take care, and watch out for crazy drivers....most people are nice but my BF narrowly avoided an accident when some truck pulled out right in the path of our ongoing convertible. They sell pot on the road here and there so who knows? For the most part, the other drivers were much better than CA.

Old May 24th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Roxanne

Thanks Cindy!! I will check out that thread in regards to the soaps and oils. We did buy some very nice smelling incents at Whalers Village in Maui. They smell wonderful!!
Boy, I'm ready to head back myself. Lucky you live in CA so you can go more often at a cheaper rate.

Old May 24th, 2001, 04:44 PM
cindy

I bought the Mango oil and use it in the bath and as a lotion. I want to order everything on their site but I have to eliminate a few items so I haven't done it yet.
I am concentrating on recognizing I am very lucky to be 4 hrs and 40 min away, so it doesn't have to be too far in the future to go back. Be sure to get the entertainment card for the hotels when you go -- Wow! Such a Big Saver!
I'm sorry for the East Coasters who have a 10 hr flight, but on the other hand I have always envied the NY'ers who can get to London and Paris in 5 or 6 hrs.

Old May 26th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Richard Sullivan

The beach with all the new concrete steps [before you used to have to risk your life getting down there] is indeed Mokuleia Marine Life Conservation District. There is no beach in the area that starts with a "W".
Mokuleia's sands come and go with the seasons, narrow in winter, wider in summer. Snorkeling and surfing are great at both Mokuleia and Honolua. Just past Honolua Bay, you can watch the surfers [or hike right down the cliffs to see them up close] from the pineapple filds at Lipoa Point. Just around the bend, [at the end of the dirt road where they've bulldozed piles of dirt to keep you from driving further] is a pretty pool at the edge of the sea which is nirvana on a calm day, and several secluded little bays. It does require a climb down, so forget the platform shoes and stick with sneakers or hiking boots with a good tread.
For more info and photos of everything I've written about, visit:
http://www.discoveringhawaii.com
After clicking "enter", click the red "guidebook updates" button in the left menu frame, then scroll down to see the Maui updates with these photos.

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:56 PM

To the Top...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -