Search

Maui-sunscreen

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Helen

Maui-sunscreen

I have so many stories about getting sunburned in Maui. What are everyones favorite reliable sunscreen? Non greasy type preferred, since we run and sweat alot.
Thanks!!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:03 AM
xxx

We have used our Coppertone sun-and-sport SPF-30 on our past 2 trips to Hawaii and it worked well.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Laurie

We also used coppertone sport SPF 30-label says it is sweatproof and waterproof. For this years trip I also bought Banana Boat hair and scalp protector-SPF 15. It was recommended by someone else on this board and seemed like a great idea-I've burned my scalp more than once-esp need extra caution if you will be driving a convertible!!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Suzie

The pool waitress on Maui said that she and the other waitresses found that Coppertone Water Babies sunblock lotion SPF 45 worked the best for all day sun and staying power. I really like this as it doesn't feel thick and greasy. Kids like the Bullfrog for kids with the watermelon smell. That's good for them because they hate to stop to reapply. They never get sunburned when they wear this as long as it wasn't out of last years supply. I find that once sunscreen is opened you should plan to use it during that season. It loses its effectiveness by the next season.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:16 AM
kal

Helen,
My skin cancer doctor....I mean the dermatologist recs a "minimum" SPF30 with Parasol 1789 anywhere there is sun! 2 layers, too usually applied around 15-30 mins before going out.

And since I have about a 5"x1" scar across my chest due to lack of sunscreen as a kid while on the beaches of San Diego and the quarries of NoCal and then the beaches of Hawaii, I know a bit of what I type.

We used some gel type sunscreen a few weeks ago but I still prefer the "greasy" Coppertones. Plus, when we smell it here on the mainland, it sends us right back to Kauai. Sad, I know...but it gets us thru the year!
Safe tanning mahalos to you.
Kal

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:22 AM
kal

Suuuuuuuz,
hahahahaha...I need the DSL...or for my business phone to quit ringing!
Looks like we'll need A LOT of SScreen the rest of the week in NoCal!
Kal

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Suzie

Oh that coppertone smell! Sorry it brings back every summer spent at Tahoe and always will! Sea and Ski in the green oddly shaped bottle is a memory too!

Then the years as a teen in So cal at the beach it was baby oil! Oh how healthy for us. Darn we looked good!

Now I run from the sun, afraid the wrinkles will find me! There's a disco song for the current weather, Burn baby burn......oh but it's a dry heat.....ahhh I feel much cooler now.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Keith

I'm another person who almost paid with my life because of malignant melanoma caused by all those years of sun worshipping as a teen and 20s. I have a huge surgery scar, spent thousands on it, and now Always use at least SPF 30 (I love coppertone waterproof, smells like summer!). Unlike you, some people won't use sunscreen but will pay for it in one way or another down the road.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Helen

Thank you everyone for your help and stories, I wish you all happy traveling!!
Helen

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:00 PM
MJ

I've gotten lazy in my middle age and now often throw on a rashguard, a rather sporty little lycra top that not only makes me think that I still look a little bit hip at 42 but also is sph100. My kids also wear them although theirs have little ruffles on the fannies. Beats reapplying sunscreen. They are available at Costco and at surf shops in Hawaii and on line. Great investmest if you plan on spending much time in the sun or on the water.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:46 AM
gail

Most people do not apply enough sunblock to get the SPF rating on thew bottle - it takes an ounce or 2 to cover a person. Also, white t-shirts have an SPF of about 6 or 7, so just putting one on won't substitute.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:22 PM
May

I made the mistake of wearing only a SPF15 sunscreen. Even though I was ok for the first hour or so, I started to burnt after that. Especially when you sweat (even though mine was water and sweatproof). Don't get me wrong, it worked really well but the sun is just too strong out in HI. Better be safe than sorry. I like Coppertone as well.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Susan

May, I'll echo that. I've gotten sunburned with the SPF 15 in Hawaii myself. I know most people want to come home with the glow of a suntan, but even with SPF 30 you will get a little color. That Hawaiian sun is strong!!!

Bring along some aloe vera too, just in case.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:49 AM
dave

Of course we all know it can vary from person to person. I have light skin and blue eyes and found the Banana Boat Oil Free SPF 15 excellent for facial application while wearing a hat and the SPF 15 spray for the scalp if I was planning to swim. I'll actually use an 8 if I don't plan to be out for too long, but always apply something. Saw many a teenager lobster red on our last trip telling mom and dad it will turn into a tan. Sure it will.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Sarah

Kal you crack me up. I took my swim wear out of storage yesterday and was trying to smell the Kauai Ocean. OH WHAT A PATHETIC GROUP ARE WE, KAUAI FORLORNED!

Helen I have always done well with K-Mart 45, works well in water and is cheap. I lived on Oahu and put it on every single day after shower. Just replace regular lotion gets you in the swing of putting on the screen.

For my face Shiseido number 50 is not greasy but $35 and made for the face only. I also use Keihl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer but this only has an SPF of 15. I would use that in winter on the mainland. You can buy this online their landmark store is in NYC and that is how I found it. I have a big problem with lotions and break outs.

Helen I lived on Oahu for 3 years and go back every year. I have one single story about sunburn on my first day ever on Honolulu. I almost live outdoors when I am there. What are you doing to have all of these stories? THIS IS YOUR MOTHER SPEAKING .

If you are not caring about a burn remember how old even a tan will make you look after it fades but the skin damage remains. I have a friend on Oahu that is 27 and my family has told me that she looks older than me, 41. They thought we were the same age but she just had not aged well. Same friend has told me that every memeber of her family has had some type of skin cancer burned off. Her family has been on Oahu for 5 generations but they hail from Scotland, Ireland, and Germany. So take care missy and stop burning up! A bit of care and you will not get burned again.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Sarah

P.S Kiehl's is $45 for 8 oz bottle but it lasts a long time even with daily use.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Melissa

If you plan to spend a lot of time on the beach in one period, wear at least SPF 30. Or if you can, get SPF 50. The sun is MUCH stronger here in Hawaii, and the sunburn you can get could be pretty serious. I got nasty burns (I think like 3rd degree) in spots that I missed w/sunscreen! So cover up!!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 07:11 PM
helen

Thanks Sarah and everyone for your tips. I meant to say I had heard many stories of being sunburned. I want to make extra sure I don't get burned. I'll try those products mentioned!!
Thanks again,
Helen