Maui or the Big Island

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:54 PM
Lance

Maui or the Big Island

My future wife and I will be on our honeymoon in June to Hawaii. We can't decide b/w the Big Island or Maui. We want to lay out,drink, and relax on the beach the entire time. Should we stay at the Four Season in Mauai, the Big Island, or somwhere else? We will not be doing much traveling once we are there, so the resort in more important than the island. Which place is more set for the beach traveler? Closer?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:59 PM
M.s.

Lance, The Big Island is my favorite, but Maui has more beach.
Congrats!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:11 PM
congrats2u

BI=less kids, much more quiet and romantic

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:48 PM
Lance

thanks

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:08 AM
sue

Lance,

A helpful tool in deciding on which island for me was Hawaii for Dummies. It has a chart in it, asking you to rate the importance of a bunch of factors. Then it gives points to those factors for each island. Add up the points and see which island best fits your desires.

Have a great honeymoon!

Sue

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:30 AM
larry

Lance:

When in June do you plan to go? If you go before school is out, then I would say that Maui is more of a beach place, and that the Four Seasons Resort in Wailea would be a good choice. If you go later in the month, you will meet more families with young children and the resort is not as quiet. If that is the case, the Big Island would be a better choice, and the Four Seasons Resort at Hualalai would be a quieter place to be, although it lacks a good beach. For a great beach on the Big Island, try the Hapuna Beach Prince or the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:49 AM
Lance

we are going June10-16th. Does the FS on the Big Island offer an area to lay out on the beach? It seems that the FS on the Big Island is more spread out but the pictures don't clear up what kind of set up they have on the beach?.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:57 AM
Sarah

With One week I say Maui. Big Island is doable in that time and the volcano at night is romantic. Waipio valley has wild horses. Nevertheless, for one week go to Maui the island is more manageable. Beaches are more assessable than big island.

Would also look at Big Island and Maui Andrew Dougherty books. Quick process just check them out for a few hours, see what pulls you. This is what I do the decisions never go away even if you go frequently.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:00 AM
Sarah

books mentioned can be found at this website

http://www.wizardpub.com/

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:13 AM
larry

Lance:

The above posts are helpful. If you go to the website or look at the Big Island Revealed, there are aerial photos of the resorts, including the Four Seasons on the Big Island. There are covered beach chairs there on their (artificial) beach, but in my view, they are not nearly as nice as the beach setups at the Four Seasons on Maui, or that available on some of the other Big Island resorts.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
Tina in MI

We'be been to both and I agree with most of the others. For one week Maui is really a better choice. Things are more concentrated and you really wouldn't have time to cover the big island and still enjoy your "honeymoon". Maui offers a wide varity of beaches and you can always manage to find one that has little or sometimes no people. Congrats & enjoy

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Don

The drive to Hana in Maui, stopping at the waterfalls and swimming, etc. on the way, is the most romantic thing you can do in my opinion!

Why not do both!!!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:46 AM
Frank

Lance: Since relaxing on the beach is of primary importance to you, you can safely rule out the Four Seasons on the Big Island....it has great pools overlooking the ocean, but no real beach.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
xxx3

Frank's right, there's much les beach on the BI -- it's still volcanic, the newest island in the chain. The farther north you go, the older the islands are and the more chance they've had to build up beaches. But there are beaches on the BI with black sand!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:55 AM
Suzie

We have fun in Maui, going there for the 4th time in the fall but the big island is great too. We stayed at the Royal Waikoloan now the Outrigger Waikoloan which is on an awesome stretch of beach. You can see this lovely bay on their web site. There were other nice beaches that we visited in the north also.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:57 PM
xxx

Don you didn’t want to throw up on that drive? If you have your curve legs you will be fine but something to consider if you are at all prone to car sickness, too curvy for me although truly beautiful. Love stopping off along the way to look at tropical flower patches, bamboo and waterfalls tucked away from sight. Tried to make other trips but just can’t handle the curves.