Maui or Kaui for small wedding?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this topic comes up at times, but i would love for anyone to share their thoughts. We are having a very small wedding with family only. I know that Maui and Kaui are both very beautiful and actually, my fiancee and I plan to island hop to one or the other after the wedding. But, I am wondering what will be the best choice for the family?
We will have one, possibly three kids aged 7 to 13. The only child that is confirmed is the 13 year old and she is 13 going on 40 (very mature). She will probably like snorkeling, poolside stuff, hiking and possibly a dolphin thing or something like that. Then, we have my fiancee's dad who loves deep sea fishing. My mom and sister will probably do a lot of walking on the beach and eating. We would also like to treat our guests to a luau instead of the traditional rehearsal dinner.
Even though our wedding will be small, i will still want someone to help me do my hair and have access to a good photographer. I am thinking that Maui might offer some more options as far as the wedding, but i am not sure. I would appreciate any thoughts! thank you!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 11:07 AM

I only have experience with our beach wedding on Kauai and can recommend our wedding coordinator if you're interested. We got married on the Beach in front of the Princeville Resort, under a flowering Banyan tree, with Hanalei Bay and the Bali Hai mountain range behind us. It made for excellent photos. As many as three people a day get married at this site, though we were the only ones there in Feb. 2002.

I am not aware of any dolphin interactions on Kauai or Maui, though they do exist on Oahu and the Big Island (see Hilton Waikoloa website).
The Princeville Hotel on Kauai has a luau and I think there is one also on the Coconut Coast, though I believe Maui is regarded as having the best luaus (Old Lahaina Luau, Feast at LeLe)

Congratulations on your wedding!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Can't help with your wedding, but, best wishes. Pacific Whale Foundation conducts a Lanai dolphin view/snorkel cruise you might investigate. La Perouse Bay, South Maui, is a dolphin watching (and snorkeling) hot spot.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Completely, absolutely, hands-down, no argument, AGREE with JohnD! This is the most beautiful spot in the world.

If you do opt for Maui, check out beaches in Kapalua. You can get married on the beach with the ocean and the incredible mountains of Molokai in the background. Really stunning, especially at sunset!

Congratulations.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 02:28 AM

I suggest a combo of the above since maui does offer the most options. Enjoy maui get married at kapalua then you two sneak off and honeymoon in princeville.