Maui or Kauai

Mar 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Maui or Kauai

My husband and I are headed to Hawaii for the first time. We are going to be there for 7 days and cannot decide between Maui or Kauai. Due to time and money, we cannot go to both. Is there anyone who has been to both that could offer some suggestions as to which to go to? Everyone who we have talked to has only be to one or the other. We are in our 20s but are not big on partying.

Any opinions or suggestions???
Mar 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
dmlove

The main question is, what DO you want to do on your vacation? Maui is somewhat more developed -- it has areas that are devoted to hotels, condos, beachwalks, golf and the like. It has more of everything - more hotels, more condos, more nightlife, more great restaurants. Kauai, on the other hand, is physically phenomenally lush and gorgeous, with great hiking, Waimea canyon, the Napili coast etc. Not to say Maui doesn't have beauty, too (road to Hana, Haleakala, etc.), just that Kauai is particularly an outdoor paradise.

Mar 29th, 2008, 04:43 AM

Two other questions come to mind they are when you are going and what kind of a budget?
Mar 29th, 2008, 06:03 AM

We've done both of them and loved both of them, but they definitely have different feels to them. If you want sheer natural beauty, go to Kauai for the gorgeous beaches and the Na Pali Coast; our helicopter tour there is probably our best vacation memory ever. If you want a few more activities to do like watching the sunrise at Haleakala, luaus, road to Hana, snorkeling at Molokini, etc. then go with Maui. We found Maui to more more expensive, and more sophisticated in terms of dining than the other islands. Both good, just offer different experiences, and it all depends upon your personality and what you're looking for I think.
Mar 29th, 2008, 06:58 AM

I would recommend Kauai. I stayed recently in Hanalei and adored it. I can recommend the Hanalei Surfboard House as a great place to stay, just a block from the beach. It was great to take my cup of coffee to sit on the picnic tables and watch the early morning surfers.
Lots of really good restaurants in Hanalei, Na Pali coast just around the corner, lots of great beaches. Oh, now I really want to go back.
Mar 29th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

We are students and definitely on a budget. On Expedia, the plane, hotel, and car are cheaper in Maui.
Mar 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM

We ended up getting a good deal on Maui because our hotel was in the Entertainment coupon book; it ended up saving us 50%, which was about $1,600.
Mar 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM

What a wonderful dilemma. Maui or Kauai? You'll have a great time on Maui, Michelle.
Mar 30th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Packages can be a good deal at times often during off peak seasons however if you have a little time to shop around sometimes you find better.
We try to use what is available like here and/or tripadvisors and average out reviews.
Ita software and kayak are good for searching airfare and don't charge you a fee like expedia or orbitz.
Mar 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Maui makes a good first time Hawaii destination even though I prefer Kauai over Maui.

The deal on expedia you mentioned...what hotel or condo are you looking at?

I've never been a fan of expedia, travelocity and the like as it seems like I can do better $$ wise by doing it on my own. More fun that way too!
Mar 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM

Lots of decently priced condos on Maui:
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

Our first trip we stayed at Noelani north of Kaanapali, just a random choice off the web at that time, knowing nothing ! It was great.

Kauai is lovely but much quieter. One condo agency we've used is Suite Paradise http://www.suite-paradise.com/ , their online rates are excellent. Poipu Beach is good for swimming & snorkelling. Hiking up in Waimea/Kokee State Park if you're into that..

You don't say your timetable, if time go to www.gohawaii.com and order the free planners for each island