Maui or Big Island

Aug 22nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Maui or Big Island

We are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks....Going to Kauai for sure but deciding between Big Island and Maui. We like beaches and history and nature trails.
Tranquility rather than craziness. We are 60+
Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM

< Tranquility >>

The Big Island is not the island for idyllic beaches, since it's the newest island and the beaches haven't had time yet. There are some, however. There's a beach at Kona Village Resort which is small but fine, and the smallness is an advantage for the snorkeling. However KVR can't be beat for tranquility and a sense of history. I go there a lot, and am so much a fan that I created a website that describes it in abundant detail: www.davidskvr.net . It won't suit everybody's taste, but the return rate is a very impressive 66%. Take a look and see if it's something you'd like.
David
Aug 25th, 2010, 01:31 AM

I haven't been to Maui so I can't compare them. But we loved the Big Island.

The Big Island is fantastic and very diverse in its landscapes. Well worth exploring. It is said that is has 10/12 climatic types of the world from desrt to high alpine. We spent 10 days there last year and it is now in the top three places in the world for us.

The two great experiences were the Volcano. We spent three days there but could have doubled it easily with all the walks on offer, as well as guided walks and talks.

Night snorkelling with the manta rays was unbelievable. They range in size from 3-6 yards across. It was very well run and they took great care with those who hadn't snorkelled before. You do one dive in the afternoon then another when it is dark.
http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/cha...mantanight.htm

Great Coffee at Greenwells. It is the coffee equivilent of Single Malt Scotch.
http://www.greenwellfarms.com/

The green sand beach is remarkable. But it is a longish (1.5-2hr) walk over rough tracks.Be sure to take lots of water.

If you go to the petroglyphs near the marina be sure to look out for the one of Captain Cook's ship. It is near the first tree on your right as you come out of the marina or last tree on the left coming the other way. It is about 10-15 yards off the main track. there are a couple of other ones hidden there as well.

Go to this thread for more ideas.
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ere-to-eat.cfm
Aug 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM

I haven't been to the Big Island, but here are some thoughts on Maui.

Maui has excellent beaches. You could go to a different beach every day of your trip if you wanted to and they are all gorgeous.

For history, take a look at the historic walking trails in Lahaina. Lahaina was one of the first capitals of Hawaii (back in the day when it was a kingdom) and there are a lot of historical buildings and museums.

For nature, there is plenty along the Road to Hana, just driving on the island (past the resort areas) and up Haleakala, which also has hiking trails. We loved the view from the top of Haleakala and found it incredibly relaxing.
Aug 25th, 2010, 08:09 AM

We have returned to the Big Island several times, because of its diversity of geography and its more laid-back style.
Aug 25th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Just for your info, here's a quote from the Kona Village Resort web site.

"The serenity and keen sense of place at Kona Village Resort is achieved in part by our lack of radios, telephones and televisions."

I would have trouble with that. Others would not.
Aug 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM

dbdurand, I am interested, I hope you forgive my forwardness, but which do you have trouble going without, radios or television? Since most people have cell phones, I didn't include it. Mahalo.
Aug 25th, 2010, 09:35 AM

I've been to both islands. My order of love is Hawaii, Kauai, Maui, Oahu. However, everybody is different. Maui has beautiful beaches, crummy traffic, much better food than the big island. Probably better entertainment too. There are some nice trails and Haleakala is fantasic.

Hawaii is much less populated. It does not have as many ugly condo projects. It has much better snorkeling than the other islands. It is a huge island with diverse climates. It has a noticably slower pace. Hiking is very good. It has many national parks and national historic parks starting with Volcanoes and Place of Refuge. There are many hitorically relevant places. I've been to Hawaii the last nine years and I will go back next year.

Kauai and Hawaii and the least populated of the major islands and have a much slower more relaxed pace.

Everyone falls in love with a different island. They all have their own unique beauty. I will continue to visit the other island but most of the time will be on Hawaii
Aug 25th, 2010, 10:20 AM

We really loved both the Big Island and Maui. If you have your heart set on seeing the volcano, go to the Big Island. The Hapuna Beach Prince is a nice place to stay on a beautiful beach. Maui seemed more sophisticated to us and had better dining options. If you like tranquility, check out the Wailea area - really beautiful.
Aug 25th, 2010, 10:58 AM

db, I confess I take a very small radio and get just a dab of news in the morning (volume WAY down). I also take my cell phone (for very rare use in my hale only). For the web, there are two computers, including one Mac, available 24/7 in the concierge office, and this time I'll have my 3G iPad (to use in my hale only). The one thing you'll really, really not have is TV, and since all windows and doors are always open, I'm grateful not to have the sounds of other TVs wafting through the village. Actually, I'm amazed at how little I watch TV after I get home.
David