Maui--most scenic area to stay?

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Julie

Maui--most scenic area to stay?

We're thinking about a week in Maui next fall and we're looking for the ideal area in which to stay. Preferrably we'd like someplace that's quiet and uncrowded, but still centrally located to activities, restaurants, etc. We definitely want an area that is lush and green with mountain views. We really dislike high-rises, strip-malls, etc. The ideal spot would have a true hawaiian feel. Which part of the island would you recommend (aside from Hana, which is a little too remote)?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Roy

So a SEARCH for 'Jon's Maui' web site. It has all kinds of information on Maui. It certianly is a beautiful island. The prices are high, too!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 05:35 AM
gina

We loved staying in Kapalua, about 15 minutes north of Lahaina/Kaanapali. It gets a bit more rain than other parts of the island and as a result seems lusher and much more quiet than more populated areas like Kaanapali and Lahaina. We got a great rate through United Mileage Plus certificates at Kapalua Bay ($215 for ocean view) and loved the resort, the beach, the pool, etc. And we were really happy that we were usually only about 20 minutes away from the great restaurants in Lahaina. Our week was certainly very quiet and relaxing but we had plenty to do if we wanted to take the Jeep off the grounds.

Wailea is absolutely gorgeous too, but we could not afford it this time around - we are thinking maybe for a honeymoon next fall we'll splurge! Sounds like much higher-level accommodations and service at Four Seasons, etc.

Have fun!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Hawaii

The Napili area on the west coast is also very nice.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Judy

Julie --

I would not recommend the Wailea area for you. Although it has wonderful beaches, the entire resort area is artifical (I saw them planting fully grown palm trees along the golf courses) and very commercial. Not at all lush. Kaanapali is very developed and crowded. I would recommend Kapalua. It's somewhat out of the way, but within striking distance of Lahaina.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Kevin

Kapalua Bay (the hotel) definitely has that "old Hawaii" feel to it. Too realistic for me as the hotel feels just plain old. Very quiet and scenic area. Colder and rainier weather than Kaanapali or Wailea.
The Ritz Kapalua is definitely a nicer hotel but the beach (and pool) leave something to be desired because of the distance to the rough beach and usually windy pool.
Wailea is the best combination of top resorts, good weather, quiet surroundings (if you select the right resort) and beautiful beaches/scenery.
Our first visit to Maui, we stayed in Kapalua and the cold and rainy weather forced us to drive all the way down to Wailea for some nice weather. We haven't been back up north since, and have never regretted it during several stays in Wailea.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Allice

I would stay in the Kaanipali area. It has great beacjes and is very clos to the main town of Lahina. Also it is easy to travel to other parts of the island such as Kihei and Wailea, Wailuku, and KAhalui. The other parts of the island are quieter but it takes awhile to travel to other parts of the island. So defineltely stay in the KAanipali/ LAhina area. A good hotel is the Enbassy Suties Vaction Resort on Kaaniplai. However, whatever you do DO NOT STAY AT THE ROYAL LAHINA!!!!!!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Carol

Alice:
Julie asked for "quiet and uncrowded".
The Embassy Suites Timeshare is about as loud and bustling a hotel as you'll find on Maui, just below the Grand Wailea for noise.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Haley

I can't say enough good things about the Four Seasons. It is one of the smaller resorts (around 400 rooms compared with 1000+ at other resorts) and it is beautiful. Very quiet when we were there. Loved it!!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Kim

I would second Kapalua. We just got back (trip report is on this site somewhere!) and we stayed at the Kapalua Bay condos - went through Sullivan Properties and paid $170/nite for oceanview - condo was great!! What we liked is that we were only 10-15 minutes away from hustle and bustle but it was quiet where we stayed. It is windy but you get use to it. Only rained 2 days that we were there - but it was rainy all over.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Leslie

Check out the Napili Kai Beach Club..It is low rise, smallish, very Hawaiian, perfect beach and snorkeling. It's an older place with a loyal clientele who return year after year...not cheap, nor does it have the huge swimming pools of the newer hotels but sounds alot like what you seek.

I don't care for high rises either and find Kaanapali a little too developed. Also, Wailea feels very artificial to me. It's not a lush area at all except for the resort's own planted gardens...

The fact is that in the islands lush/green usually equals more rain. There is no such thing as a central location on Maui except for Kahului or Wailuki and you wouldn't want to stay there.

Some people book a night at Hana and do the drive out (as far as Seven Sacred Pools) in one day and the drive back the second which is more relaxing. I personally really enjoyed that excursion, picnicing and swimming along the way.