LV With Family?

Dec 4th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Jill

LV With Family?

I've been to Las Vegas several times without my kids, stayed at the monte carlo, but this year my mother-in-law surprised me and my husband with round trip tickets and hotel at the Excalibur. She is going as well, but we never stayed there. Always stayed at monte carlo. I would have a better time without the kids but my hubby doesnt gamble much and mother-in-law is there to babysit. My kids are 9 and 11 yrs old. Anyways she booked us for Winter break in late february. I called and found out its pretty chilly then, and i know the trop, does inclose its pool area, where as the excalibur doesnt. I dont know about the rooms at the excalibur at all. But they did tell me no tubs just showers turns me off. We can switch are hotel but would cost extra. We would go with a garden room at the trop as that has a doorwall to outside, or a suite, dont like being cramped. Do you think we should just stay at excalibur, would my kids feel more comfortable there or switch to trop because of the pool to use. We are staying for one week and have planned trips to grand canyon staying at el tovar. Hoove dam, bonnie springs etc..but we will be in are room more since we have the kids this time. I wished she would of booked us for spring break weather would be a little better. But she gone and done it without us knowing. Suggestions please!

Dec 4th, 2001, 04:26 AM
WhatAGeat

Here's my suggestion: Say THANK YOU. You sound terribly ungrateful.

Dec 4th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Jill

Some people are rude, I am just asking for advic on hotel because of my kids. I want to plan it the best i can for them. And for all of us to have a good time. My mother-in-law didnt realize about swimming for the kids in Feb would be a no go. Besides the travel agent lady she booked with did not give her alot of advice. So if you think I didnt say thank you about this trip think again, you don't know me and the reason she did book this surprise family trip for us all. (Medical reasons) Not that i owe you any explanation at all!

Dec 4th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Jasmine

Sorry, but I too think you're not sounding very polite, Jill. Go and enjoy. The hotel may not be exactly the one you wanted but it's fine.

Dec 4th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Carol

Jill you did come across as whining a tad too much. Sorry about the health factor, but you owe no one an explanation. You did say you cann upgrade the hotel, at who's expense. If its yours than I would go with MIL's plans. If she wants not only her grandchildren and you and her son happy, then go back to the Monte Carlo. I only have one question, why do your kids care about the tub vs.shower stall? Stay healthy LOL, Carol

Dec 4th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Barbara

While the Excalibur is not as elegant as you are use to, the kids will probably love it. There are carnival games they will probably love and kids usually love buffet restaurants. There are plenty of other things to do besides swimming - movies, bowling alley, video games, go see the white tigers, etc. I would just go with what she has planned and not worry about not being able to swim.

Dec 4th, 2001, 06:42 AM
whiner

Try staying at Circus, Circus. They have bath tubs too. Maybe in the lobby, but there are some.

Dec 4th, 2001, 07:23 AM
x

We stayed at the Excalibur in a room with a bathtub. I don't know what you are talking about. The pool will be too cold but the arcade inside is great for kids. It's not elegant, it's hokey and the kids will love it. Enjoy, and PLEASE thank your mother in law. I think it was very sweet of her to take you.

Dec 4th, 2001, 07:52 AM
x

We stayed at the Excibular and had a bathtub in our room. Also the lower level of the hotel is a big game room with lots for kids to do. Also the New York and MGM are across the street so I think its a good location.

Dec 4th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Susan

You are lucky to have such a generous mother-in-law. Even willing to babysit for you while in Las Vegas! Can you send her my way?

Dec 4th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Rainy

The Excalibur is perfect for kids. If you don't mind spending some money definitely do their dinner show - it's one of those medieval things and a lot of fun! There is a fun arcade area for kids there - get a coupon book and there's some 2 for 1 games. Then be sure to get out of the hotel - take the kids to the Circus Circus amusement park for the day - loads of fun! And of course they will love the Pirate show at the Treasure Island, and the water show at the Bellagio (best of all both are free)! If you get to downtown the Freemont Street Experience is pretty cool for older kids (scared my 5-yr old to death!) I just took my 5-year old son to Las Vegas last month and we had a wonderful time - there is a lot to do with kids.

Dec 4th, 2001, 11:12 AM
tired.of.kids

I'm so tired of parents being concerned about not having enough to do with their kids while in Vegas. Get a clue - don't take them to sin city! It's an adult playground. Why can't adults have one place that we have to ourselves? Vegas used to be such a fun place, but now it's over-run with screaming kids and parents worried about finding a pool.

Dec 4th, 2001, 11:18 AM
x

Here we go again.

Dec 4th, 2001, 11:29 AM
ZZZ

Come on guys, read the post Ms Jill has a baby sitter, the mother-in-law from heaven, who made all these wonderful arrangements and now Jill needs to upgrade her hotel, so old Granny can sit with the kids and she and hubby can go about their own business like they have several times with a bath tub.

Dec 4th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Rob

Oh buzz off you complainers.
Jill didn't ask for your input about her motives, so shut your traps and get off the soapboxes. Answer her question or move on to the next post.

Personally, I think the Excalibur is one of the four worst hotels on the Strip, and if my MIL booked us there, I'd kick in a few dollars of my own and upgrade us somewhere else. And many 11 year olds have already outgrown the cheesy castle theme and regalia.
Excalibut is the cheapest hotel on the south strip for a reason. But you don't have to raise the stakes much higher to upgrade to someplace you'd enjoy more, Jill.
That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Dec 5th, 2001, 04:04 AM
Jill

Thanks Rob, for the decent reply.. It's nice to get a straight answer to my question on the hotel. We did book to another hotel according to your advice and of other travel site replys that said excalibur was nice to visit but not to stay. PS.. my husband said let the other folks no were gonna leave are kids with grandma the whole time!!!!are these people for real. chow.

Dec 5th, 2001, 04:26 AM
xxx

"Chow"???
Could this be Leone in Trailer Park drag?

Dec 5th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Emmy

I'm not a member of the grammar police but ". . .let the other folks no were gonna leave are kids with grandma. . ."?????

Maybe you should study your children's school books while in Vegas.

Dec 6th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Dave

You did the right thing, I would switch hotels Jill. I took my kids to LV last year and they can't wait to return. We also had someone who came with us to watch are kids while me and the wife had some time to ourselves. Stayed at MGM. A larger room and a swimming pool that you can use in Feb. is a good choice. Your gonna have a great time enjoy! Grand Canyon is spectacular.