Reload this Page >

maui marriott construction

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 03:47 PM
al

Hi all; We are going to hawaii in nov 2000 for 3 weeks 1 of which will be on maui & are booked at the maui marriott the 14-21st of nov & am hoping it will just be finnishing touches by then as they are scheduled to be done by dec 2000. We would appreciate any info about how the construction is coming along thanks

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 06:43 PM
CMcDaniel

You are booked 2 weeks prior to their scheduled opening? They must be scheduling openings of different wings at different times. Good luck...you know at least it'll be clean, and they really will be trying hard. All are geared for an "opening" and if they have a GM who can motivate them,(almost a given in an opening hotel) are working harder than they will at any other time! An opening is such a team effort, everyone gets in gear, and it's contagious. If they are on schedule, you are bound to be rewarded for having faith in them.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 06:48 PM
Jan

I'm also booked at the Maui Marriott for 7 days during the end of October. Oct. 21-27th.. I hope the main part of the construction will be completed also. We rec'd a very good rate at this hotel for an oceanview room.
jan

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 09:28 PM
HJS

Aloha,

I hate to rain on your plans, but I was just down at the Marriott last Sunday
evening and the palce is a huge mess.
It looks like they have just started on the pool area and the lobby has been cut in half and the shops are all gutted
out.Tey have a maze type of thing set up to get people from check in to there
rooms, which they are only using a small
portion of right now. Tonight Friday the 28th is the last night for the Makai
Bar, they are having a big party and then it will be time to distroy it to make room for the new restauant.
I spoke to a friend of mine that works in the vacaton timeshare office when they have been told it will be done, and
she said she was told the pool will be done in time for the Christmas Holidays
guests. Asfor the rest of the resort she did not have an idea. If they keep
at the pace they are going I doubt it will be ready before February. I must say that onec it is done it is really going to be something special. So think of it this way, Good Things Come To Those Who Wait.

HJS

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 05:59 PM
al

thanks for all your inputs any further info between now & oct 31 2000 is greatly appreciated

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Debbie

We returned last night from a 5 night stay at the Maui Marriott.

Whew!!! What a mess it is! Had I been paying for my room I would have taken one look and went elsewhere. We were using my husbands Marriott points so we had no out of pocket costs for our room.

The lobby is indeed cut in half while they lay stone. There was one shop open, a gift shop. To get to our room we had to go to the second floor, walk a half mile to the elevator and get off on our floor and walk the other half mile to our room. The long walk to our room I don't believe was due to the construction, I just think the design of the hotel requires this.

The pool area is in very early stages, since I have no construction experience I cannot say if it could be done by your visit. In order to use a pool you must catch a shuttle to I believe it was the Westin (we didn't go to the pool) the shuttle is on a first come first served basis and from what I understand (from the lady working the shuttle) it can get ugly as they are limited to only 100 Marriott guests at a time at the Westin. And there is no reserving seats on the shuttle.

The beach is a hike, not a huge hike, but a hike. We did enjoy the beach, but we enjoy any beach.

We were told that the room we were staying in had been redone already, I hope the person was misinformed. The room was done in a lime green color, not very attractive.

Upon check-in I had to call housekeeping to come and change the spread on our bed. They were very nice about it but had someone taken a closer look at it they would have discovered the same brown stains I saw. Needless to say that did not impress me very much.

I was very surprised at the number of rooms that were occupied. In the evening around 4 they delivered a USA Today paper and hung it on the door knobs of the occupied rooms. With the open breezeway you could see multiple floors and I would say that more than 75% of the rooms in our area were occupied.

My opinion, and this is only an opinion. I wouldn't stay there if I were paying for my own room, go to a hotel that can offer all you expect from a hotel, after all you are on vacation.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip!!!

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Jan

Wow... Now I'm really nervous...Thanks for all the input... Debbie what hotel do you recommend... Maybe we might change from the Maui Marriott if it's going to be that bad. We are not going until October, but thats not that far away... I'm confused???
Jan

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 06:10 PM
al

jan don't worry to much yet I'm not half the battle with construction is setting up the job not necessarily the actual building of it we might be supprised just how fast things move once the building process starts if all else fails you can usually get great rates in hotels within the 30 days prior to arriving. I am going to hang in there til mid oct to see which is appx 30 days before we arrive in maui Al

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 08:19 PM
al

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 03:56 AM
Debbie

Jan, I'm sorry I didn't mean to confuse you. By the time you get there the hotel could be in good shape.

As for suggestions of another hotel, I don't have any. But if you are willing or can spend a few extra dollars may I suggest the Ka'anapali Ali'i. The Ali'i is a condo complex right next to the Marriott. We stayed in the Ali'i four years ago, wanted to stay there this trip but they were not accepting Marriott points anymore. Last stay we had a two bedroom corner oceanfront view condo. It was wonderful, all the comforts of home. Last trip we had our children with us and the kitchen and washer and dryer really helped. We saved a good bit of money by preparing a few of our own meals.

By all means if the Ali'i is in your budget I give it a big thumbs up.

I would continue to use the Marriotts 800 number and ask lots of questions about the construction process. It is in their best interests to be truthful with you.

Good Luck
Debbie

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 06:17 PM
al

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 01:44 PM
Jan

Thanks Al and Debbie

I'll hang in there for a little while. Give the Marriott a call around the end of August to see how things are going..

Thanks
jan

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 01:11 AM
Allen

I live in Kaanapali and a friend of mine works at the Marriott. I was there yesterday and it still a total mess. I really don't see how it can be a problem if you spend most of your day outside of the hotel. Who cares of the lobby is messed up, and you can't swim in the pools? You can swim in a pool at home in Ohio or Texas, if you're coming to Maui, GO TO THE BEACH!! Also, it is not a "hike" to the beach as a previous poster said. It is beachfront, just like all of the other hotels in Kaanapali. Lastly, I assume you are paying a highly discounted rate for the room to make up for the inconvenience. Bottom line, if you don't spend all day in your room, the money you save will allow you to participate in many more activities while you are here. If a lobby with a torn up floor, or being unable to swin in a pool really bothers you, then spend an extra $150 a night and stay at the Hyatt, Westin, or the Sheraton, they are all very nice. However, the fact that the hotel is above 75% occupancy right now says it all! Have a nice trip!

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 09:05 AM
al

thanks I did get a good const rate of appx 100 per night ovw & waiting to see how const comes along, my daughter, neice, & wife's cousin are staying at ka'annapali beach hotel the same week 11/14-11/21 2000 thanks again Al

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:41 PM
Debbie

Allen, I'm the one that said the beach is a hike, and it is a hike. Yes the Marriott is oceanfront, but you cannot access the beach from the hotel, you must make the mile walk from your room to the lobby, out by the valet parking down the steps, thru the roped off construction area down a sidewalk by the tennis courts and than you are on the beach. Yes, once you get there you have the beautiful Pacific in front of you, but in this girls opinion when I am on vacation I do like a nice hotel with a pool should I desire to use it.
But, hey each must decide for theirselves what they wish on vacation. Good Luck all!!!!!!!!