MAUI-Kea Lani vs. Four Seasons

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:20 AM
lori

MAUI-Kea Lani vs. Four Seasons

We are planning our honeymoon in mid-October and have tentatively set up 3 nights in Hawaii at The Orchid Hotel, 4 nights in Maui at The Four Seasons and 5 nights in Lanai at Manele Bay. All rooms are oceanview, but we were wondering which place on Maui everyone feels is better for honeymooners--Kea Lani or Four Seasons? Any rants/raves on any of the above is much appreciated!! Thanks

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:30 AM
sktraveler

I can't speak to any of those but the Kea Lani. My husband and I honeymooned there last September and loved it. The rooms are all suites (very nice sized!), but they aren't opulant--just nice. The property is wonderful--nice beach, a couple of large pools, nice restaurants, and great service. We didn't see very many kids there, so it was a nice, relaxing time. The spa was great and they have a great concierge desk that will help you plan out and make reservations for your whole trip. My biggest advice--check the weather before driving to the top of Mt. Haleakala for the sunrise--it was freezing and raining when we went up there at 5:00 a.m.! Also, book a luau early if you want to go--the best ones fill up quick. Lastly--go to Nick's Fish Market at the Kea Lani. It is VERY posh and it's a fun experience! Have fun!

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 12:28 PM
Greg

The Four Seasons Maui is the highest rated resort in the US in the new Zagat guide (tied with 2 other Hawaiian hotels).
While it didn't exist when we honeymooned in Maui, we've stayed there several times and that probably tells you how we feel about it.
It's not for everyone, though. If you're looking for glitz and activity and nightlife, check the Grand Wailea or go up to Kaanapali. If you just want a lot of space in your room, the Kea Lani's a good value.
The Four Seasons' strengths are understated elegance, privacy, lack of hubbub, outstanding service, and general refinement.

We stayed at the Orchid before it was sold (it was built by the Ritz group). Very nice place but, as with all Big Island resorts, it feels very cut off from civilization....which is great for a honeymoon. It does cater to quite a few conventions, unfortunately.

As you no doubt realize, Manele Bay will be extremely quiet as well. We've not visited it, but it is, of course, highly rated and frequently reviewed on this site. Rarely will you find negative comments.
Have a great time, Lori!

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 12:56 PM
lori

Thanks for the input so far...We are strongly considering staying at the Four Seasons on the big island as well. Looks like Four Seasons is the way to go, all around. (Except of course, on Lanai).

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:04 PM
Donna

Hi there: My family lives on Maui, so I've been many times. Four Seasons and Kea Lani are both fantastic as others have said. My husband and I prefer the Kea Lani since it is a 2 rm. suite, very roomy. Service is excellent and the grounds are beautiful. They also have an adult pool area in case the pool with the slide gets busy with the kiddos. Nicks Fish Mkt. is a must! And they have Cafe Ciao which is a deli/market/bakery and an outdoor rest. for lunch and dinner. You can get some delicious pastries and have a relaxing breakfast on your lanai.
The Four Seasons/Big Island is wonderful! Much better than the Orchid.
Have fun!

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 07:12 PM
linda fromNJ

We stayed at the Kea Lani on our honeymoon and loved it. The rooms are suites with a huge balcony. The grounds are beautiful. Great Service and you get alot for your money. I have heard however that the Four Seasons in Mau is very nice, Four Seasons on the big Island is beautiful but you can not swim in the Ocean there. We go next store to Kona Village. It is the most romantic resort I have ever been too although quiet. Have a great time.