Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fodors, what have you done to my favorite travel discussion board? Ugh!

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 04:51 PM
Diane M

Why did you change a board that was already terrific? I want messages on Florida, not the rest of the states. This board is no longer user friendly.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:11 PM
mimi

I agree

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:37 PM
Triple-O

diane...

type "Florida" into the search engine. you'll get nothing but Florida posts, sorted by relevance (score). i got tons of them. you can sort by date to get the most recent ones--- your "Fodors, what..." came up first. seems like it's just as good as before. do you really think it's that bad or are you having trouble getting the hang of things?

ooo

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:40 PM
Jen

I agree! Bring back the old!

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:42 PM
CJ

I'M LOOKING FOR INFO ON HAWAII, NOT THE OTHER 49 STATES. WHERE DO I GO?

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:48 PM
Patrick

Anything new takes a bit of getting used to. But I used to try to do a search and would sit and wait forever to see if it brought up anything. I just typed in "Alaska" and within seconds got a huge list of threads. I realize that you actually now have to type in the word "Alaska" or "Florida" instead of scrolling and clicking, but that's a small price to pay to get quicker and more extensive results, in my opinion. I also like that each group of 50 continues in numbering, and you can easily click and get back to the previous group of 50, which never seemed to work well in the old format.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:48 PM
Triple-O

cj --

type the word Hawaii into the search engine. you'll get plenty of posts about hawaii, arranged by relevance (score). to get the most recent ones, click on "date." to get the ones with the most responses, click on "most active." you'll see...it works!

ooo

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 07:23 PM
Sam

Anybody else hate the 'new & improved'
font? Too small, too 'scrunchy'...

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 07:24 PM
J

If you type in the word "Hawaii", you only get the postings which actually have the word "Hawaii" in them! So you miss the ones that say only Honolulu or Kauai or Big Island! The board has been improved to a certain extent, but it should be fixed to allow you to select a certain state to browse in.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 07:32 PM
Daphne

I too liked the old forum better. I find the blue a bit jarring [especially when it's my e-mail address]. And I don't like my posts so "out in the open"! [Am an introvert, I guess].

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 09:23 PM
gmd

I find it more difficult to find the area I was looking for (New York). I DID type "New York" in the Search area but the results were a mess.

gmd

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 09:39 PM
Triple-O

gmd...

can you define "a mess"? i typed in New York with and without quotes and got what i think were some pretty good results, both by score and by date.
"most active" didn't return any results, which is definitely a flaw. i thought earlier this evening that "most active" only delivered threads with posts in the last 24 hours. but NY has had several (they're visible in the other sets of results). so this is wrong. but there were plenty of pertinent posts on the other two sorts.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 10:45 PM
Gary

It's fine--an improvement. More features. I especially like the following:

1. One can now return to the current threads in one step from beyond the "Next 50" page.
2. The click-points to "the top" and "most recent" postings.
3. The upgraded appearance of the page.

After the last two aborted attempts, I hope we can stick with this version--it looks great. Congratulations, software people.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 11:15 PM
cb

the reason the most recent messages aren't coming up is probably because they were erased during the changeover. hopefully this will not happen again and message posting will return to normal.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 05:42 AM
OliveOyl

I love the new format...find it much easier to navigate, to say nothing of the speed! The initial "reply" snafu was minor as snafus go when implementing a new system.

Someone mentioned "small scrunchy" fonts, but on travel talk anyway, the font is a good bit larger than before, making the posts far more readable.

This is "slick", and as someone else said, congratulations to the software engineers. *Good job!*

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 06:43 AM
Thom

One thing I REALLY like is being able to change forum without going back to the main travel-talk menu. And it's quicker, that's for sure. Thanks for those things.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 07:13 AM
Ron

Get with the program folks! I have been using the search tips box ever since using Fodors discussion topics for months now. I only want the keys & Key West. Just type in the search tips box for whatever you want! What is so hard!

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 08:08 AM
aimee

I'll tell you what they've done--they've fixed it!

In addition to all of the above, when you go past the first 50 messages, the numbers keep getting higher, not resetting to 1 each time you get to 50.

Nice work.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 10:03 AM
Kelly

I typed New York in the search field and got 0 (ZERO) results! That's not new and improved to me! I'm willing to be patient, but this is simply not useful if the search doesn't work.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 10:12 AM
Triple-O

i just got hundreds of threads typing in New York. are you sure you were in the U.S. forum when you did your search?

ooo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO