Maui Hotel for Seniors

Old May 28th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Hotel for Seniors

I would be grateful for any advice regarding hotel suggestions for my aunt and her friend. Both are in their 80s, have never been to Hawaii and think it is time they visit! They are only planning on spending four days or so and would love a place with nice Hawaiian atmosphere. I believe they plan to mostly relax, read under palm trees, take short strolls, enjoy nice meals, etc. I am not sure of their budget, but would like to be able to give them several suggestions to help them decide. Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Where would they be flying from? 4 days can do quite a bit of wear and tear at that age. Although at that age, they should definately go for it!. Of course the 4Seasons would be great, but perhaps a more local feel of Napili Kai Beach Resort or the more affordable and accessible to other properties, the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Of course, if they'd like to get a glimpse of real hawaii, then splurge on the very private Hana Hotel in a town that has more cows then daytrippers.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi gyppielou,

They'd be flying from San Francisco (and, yes, I'm trying to talk them into staying longer!) I will look into your suggestions. Thanks! Anyone else?
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM

I do not like the Revealed Books for very good reason. However their airial views of lodging can be helpful.

wizardpub.com
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM

For an extremely peaceful and quiet resort away from all the hub-bub and noisy kids and teens, the Ritz Carlton in the Kapalua area of west Maui is ideal. For a resort closer to fun shopping and restaurants, the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali is a beautiful resort with lushly landscaped grounds and pools that will envelop them in a feeling that they are in tropical paradise.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM

I think something on Kaanapali Beach would be perfect (the Hyatt is the "high end" -- there are less-luxurious and less costly options too). First, there's a paved beach path that goes all the way from the Hyatt to the Sheraton (about 8 or 9 properties) which is great all times of day - early morning stroll, afternoon walk, evening stroll - everybody's out and about. Second, there's a shuttle from Kaanapali to Lahaina, which is a wonderful little former whaling village (now restaurants and shops, of course). Third, there's Whaler's Village which is a shopping center and sort of "town center". It certainly isn't "old Hawaii" but if they're looking for a resort atmosphere, Kaanapali Beach would be great.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:49 AM

It's really going to depend on budget, I think. If they're down for a pricey option, I would definitely go with West Maui. There are a number of gorgeous resorts (note that the Four Seasons is decadent and lovely but lacks the Hawaiiana feel) that are connected by a beachside pathway. It's quieter and lovely. Closest shopping is more upscale. It's probably 30 minutes by car to Lahaina town.

If they're trying to conserve somewhat, I'd probably go with one of the hotels on Kaanapali beach. As SF7307 says, there are all sorts of budget options there (it's a bit of a hotel row, but in a nice way). I stayed at the Hyatt a few years ago with my mom (who is in her early 70s) and she loved it -- lots of boutiques on the hotel property, multiple restaurants (and seriously to-do for sushi at the outdoor hotel bar), walking distance to other resorts, close to Lahaina town. It is on the higher end but we got a great package through United vacations.

If they really want to chill, I agree with the Hotel Hana Maui. I don't know if they even have phones. Gorgeous, luxurious and wonderful. Very small town. Need to either take a helicopter up or drive the Hana Highway to get there. Few restaurant options, although the hotel restaurant is yummy.

You really can't go wrong in any of these places.

Wait, why did we assume Maui? Lol. I actually think Maui is the place for the gals but let us know if you want advice for other islands.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Wait, why did we assume Maui? Lol

ummmm, because the title of the thread is "Maui Hotel for Seniors"?
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Oh, this is very helpful already. Melissa, for some reason they decided on Maui (which I put in the title of my question but forgot to put in the message.) I think they would like a quieter property. They are not big shoppers or spa goers and certainly won't use a gym (probably won't even hop in a pool) but would love beautiful landscaping and lovely places to stroll and sit. They would like a comfortable room but it does not have to be deluxe. I would imagine their big splurge might be attending a luau.

My aunt is fairly active but her friend, who will be 90 in September, has limited energy. I'm not quite sure what they are thinking of budget-wise as they do have limited incomes but realize this will probably be their only trip to the islands.

I think Hana (which sounds great to me) is probably a little too remote as the drive sounds long and the helicopter would be too intimidating.

These are great suggestions which I will share with them and I'm sure these ideas will help them focus in on what they really want. If anyone else has opinions, I'd be delighted to pass them along. Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM

It will be important to find a property that is not too large and spread out, which would rule out places like the Hyatt, Sheraton, Marriott, etc. It would need to have a restaurant, though, and perhaps some on-site entertainment. They should pay extra for an ocean view since they probably won't be renting a car or swimming in the ocean. Places I think would be a good fit are:
MANA KAI in So. Kihei. Condo-style units, but hotel ammenities including the excellent Five Palms restaurant.
NAPILI KAI
KAANAPALI BEACH CLUB
KAANAPALI BEACH HOTEL
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:46 AM

I just returned from the Hyatt and would strongly recommend it, even if it is a bit on the large side. I would recommend requesting a room in the atrium tower if possible to minimize the distance that they have to walk. The atrium tower has the parrots, penguins, and lots of little boutiques in it. Dining is also a short stroll (both to Cascades for wonderful sushi/Japanese) or to Son'z (for breakfast or a nice but pricey dinner). There are some nice comfy chairs near Cascades that stay in the shade all day, and you can see the ocean from them. Or, they can go down to the pool...but shaded chairs are way more easier to find in the early a.m. and again in the late p.m. versus mid afternoon.

The stroll to Whaler's Village was about 13 minutes for me...would think it would be longer (and probably too long) for your aunt's friend without a wheel chair. It's also a bit of a steamy walk. I would recommend instead walking down to the traffic circle at the Hyatt and taking the free trolley to Whaler's Village. Do note, though, that it's still a little bit of a walk from the front door down to the traffic circle....super easy for able bodied folks, but might be a little more difficult for those that are older (without a wheelchair...as they will have a little bit of a hill to walk up when coming back to the Hyatt).

The Hyatt is on 40 acres and is gorgeous and well taken care of.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Haha, that's what I get for posting while jetlagged. The title is Maui!! Ah well, at least someone was paying attention. Well, I hope the rest of my post was helpful. And I have to agree with Beanweb. Enjoyed the Hyatt a lot.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:39 PM

Napili Kai is very Hawaiian and very senior friendly.
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

These ideas are great - thank you so much. I will check out all of these excellent suggestions.
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:10 PM

What do people think about the Nona Lani Cottages in Kihei?

http://www.nonalanicottages.com/

We spent a couple of nights there (and a couple at Hotel Hana), but it's been a few years.

We found it very warm and charming.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM

I have always loved the look of Nona Lani cottages. Probably not a good location for seniors without a car, though, since there are no shops or restaurants within easy walking distance.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Without a car, I really enjoyed staying in Lahaina. So there are places to stroll around (besides just being at your own resort/hotel). I know some people think it's "too touristy" but I found it charming, and a nice change from (what for me could be) too much peace & quiet!