Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui Honeymoon - 4-5 nights in Kapalua or Hana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:38 AM
gina

We are busy planning our September honeymoon, and have decided what we want to do for the first and last parts of our trip - we are starting with 3-4 nights on Lanai at the Lodge at Koele and ending with 5 nights at the Four Seasons Wailea on Maui.

We think it might be too much to try to hit another island for just four nights (we've already done the Big Island and it sounds like 4 nights is not enough in Kauai) so we're thinking of spending them on Maui in a different location.

We loved the Kapalua Bay Hotel (quiet, beautiful views and beach) and are seriously thinking about heading back there for a few nights. But I've also heard great things about the Hotel Hana Maui in Hana and would consider staying there instead. I know there is not much to do in Hana, but let's face it - this is a honeymoon! - so I think if the hotel and grounds are beautiful and relaxing a lack of city to explore and stuff to do won't hurt us on this particular trip. We're pretty happy ordering late breakfast room service, reading by the pool and sipping drinks in a quiet environment, which is actually why we liked Kapalua Bay so much.

Which of the two would you pick for a honeymoon? Or is there someplace else you would consider? We don't want to be in the heart of Kaanapali because that's just a little too busy for our taste and for this trip.

(By the way, if we could afford to stay at the Four Seasons the whole time, we would - but we can't! That's why we are staying there last - so everything else does not pale in comparison.) Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Mike G.

Decisions, decisions...

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Maui--5 nights at Ritz in Kapalua and 6 nights at the Hyatt in Kauai. If I were you, I'd hit Hana. The hotel seeems so quiet and peaceful, a perfect setting for the honeymoon. Hamoa Beach, where the hotel has its beach club may be the finest beach in the entire country--pure paradise and totally secluded. And while the beach at Kapalua Bay is also incredible, you can always head there for the day from Wailea. Either way you won't go wrong--good luck.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:45 AM
KT

Gina:

Hana, Hana, Hana!!!! It is a great place to stay, especially for a honeymoon. My last trip to Hawaii was almost what you are planning - Lanai (Manele Bay) to Hotel Hana Maui to Four Seasons (the only difference was we added 2 nights in Lahaina). I loved that trip. You will have a great time.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 09:49 PM
A.

Aloha! Because I prefer a little bit of social interaction and culinary adventure (Kapalua boasts excellent food at reasonable prices), Kapalua would be my choice even though I love Hana so much. It really does depend on you--If you want your honeymoon experience to be spent in a modern setting with mild nightlife and mouthwatering food at 4 or 5 star restaurants, Kapalua Bay Hotel is it. If you decide to stay in Hana, you will have the natural waterfalls, tropical flowers, the red sand beach down the road, one grocery store, no cafes, lots of rain, and Hotel Hana Maui as the only fine dining location there.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Linda

I hate to burst your bubble as far as the Hotel Hana Maui is concerned but I stayed there last fall and while the service was wonderful the cottage was in definite need of a face-lift.