Hotels in Las Vegas

Feb 11th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Carla

Hotels in Las Vegas

Looking for hotel recommendations on The Strip. Family of 4, 2 kids (11 & 9).

Feb 11th, 2002, 12:54 PM
thereuare

Flamingo Hiton (NOT the LV Hilton).

Great location, excellent pool (real flamingos and penguins nearby for the kids to see), and they don't charge extra for children in the same room (as many LV hotels are beginning to do).

Mar 14th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Sister Jean

I just returned from a stay at Flamingo (it is no longer a Hilton, by the way). What a dump! The hotel is in SERIOUS need of an upgrade and I would strongly recommend people stay away until the hotel gets refurbished. You will most certainly regret staying there!

Mar 14th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Gary

Harrahs is great. The kids might also enjoy the Circus Circus although, I think that the Harrahs is a nicer hotel.

Mar 14th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Linda

YELLING NO TO CIRCUS CIRCUS
Took my kids there on stupid suggestion and they wanted to leave the day we arrived. It is full of screaming, uncontrolled kids, rude people, nasty staff and has the most awful food I have ever had anywhere. Don't let the 'circus acts" fool you. They had a few acts, only one at a time in a tiny area.The arcade for kids is just like a state fair except all crowded into one area- so loud it makes you crazy. People turn kids loose here so they can go gamble. I even saw some as young as 3-4 by themselves. This is the trashiest place I have ever seen in all my travels.

Mar 14th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Sister Jean

The general atmosphere is rundown. The elevators are incredibly beat up--filled with stains and graffiti. The two rooms I had (I had to change rooms because I was so grossed out by the first one) were an unprecedented assortment of stains, marks on the wall, dirty linen, soiled carpet, worn bedding and broken soda and ice machines. Frankly, I was shocked. I've stayed at the Flamingo for 20 years and this is the first time I've seen it in this condition. It was absolutely terrible, and I want to warn people that there's a reason you're paying $45 a night for a hotel that, until recently, commanded $80-$100 a night. I guess management is just moving as many bodies through as possible before the inevitable renovation. I'd STRONGLY encourage you to stay away for now.

Mar 14th, 2002, 03:30 PM
aMom

Carla, we are heading there for 3 nights at the mirage with our kids (continuing through AZ afterwards). i will give feedback when we return. Mandalay Bay also was recommended to me for families. Supposedly it has a great pool area (i hear mirage does too). Unfortunately for us, it will not be pool weather.

let me warn you, when you post here about bringing your kids to LV, be prepared for some major criticism (to put it mildly). So far you've been spared.

Mar 14th, 2002, 03:33 PM
alan

A couple of nights before New Year, we had a family room booked in the Emerald Tower at the MGM Grand for what I thought was a very reasonable price (for that week) of $64. When we got there they upgraded us to a suite in the Grand Tower, with spa and a view clear up the strip, and charged us not a penny extra.. they said it helped their servicing arrangements! Our two kids (aged 7 and 9) thought it was the best accommodation they'd ever seen. Even if you can't get a rate like that, they deserve a "plug" their great treatment of families -- they couldn't have been nicer.

Mar 14th, 2002, 03:59 PM
mt

Sister Jean,
I stayed at the Flamingo Hilton in August last year. I noticed they were doing some renovation.
I had a room facing the strip on the 20 something floor. It was nice, not nothing to write home about but I enjoyed my stay there. I think it was a Hilton at the time I was there. When did they no longer become a Hilton property?

Mar 14th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Linda

Hey Alan,
Sorry to repeat, but I have encouraged families to book MGM. They have a Rainforest Cafe there, plus a nice amusement park in the back complete with a cute,live pirate show. Vegas has had to change with the times as people started demanding family entertainment. You can now find plenty to do with children in and around Vegas. The food is cheap and abundant, which is great for families.

Mar 15th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Tricia

Regarding the MGM & children:
When I called to inquire, I was told that I would be charged an additional $25.00 per child, per night at MGM.
The Treasure Island charges $20.00 extra per kid, per night. The Mirage charges $30.00.
This was what made me decide on the Flamingo ~ that, and the pool area is supposed to be so nice.
Are you people now saying that you do not have to pay anything extra for kids at MGM? I would really be interested in a response to this question. Alan and/or Linda?? Thanks!

Mar 15th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Tricia

Hi again.
I just checked out the MGM website. They charge an additional $20.00 per person older than age 12. (I had thought it was $25.00)
Since my sons are 13 & 15, I would be charged an additional 40.00 per night, but the rate for 3 nights at the Emerald Towers only comes to $209.85. That's about $69. per night for MGM.
The Flamingo is $59.00 per night.
I was under the impression that the location of the Flamingo was better than MGM.
Just looking for some opinions out there.
Thereuare: you recommend the Flamingo for the "best value". What do you think of MGM?

Mar 15th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Alan

Tricia: Well, as an Australian who just happened to be doing Vegas as a "one-off" on our US holiday, I am not going to set myself up as an expert on the MGM Grand, or any of the other hotels! But when we booked -- on one of the net booking sites, I think the "main" one (which otherwise I didn't like much, as I could nearly always beat their prices on other sites), called www.hoteldiscounts.com,-- the offer there was for a room with two double beds. No one said anything about extra money for children, and I assumed that two double beds meant up to four people. When we arrived, MGM didn't bat an eye... they just offered us this fantastic suite and told us that we would be helping THEM. Maybe this extra for kids only applies to direct bookings, which, for all I know, may start at a cheaper base price than the net offerings. I dunno... is $64 a good price for a room at MGM?

Mar 15th, 2002, 05:14 AM
helen

Westward Ho is a good place to stay,doesn't have a theme,but its right next to Circus Circus and the staff are friendly,the food cheap and the rooms clean.

Mar 15th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Linda

Yes, 64 is a good price for MGM. Westward Ho is awfully far down the strip- away from the nicer hotels, shopping and attractions.Trying to take the trolley from there can be iffy- they get crowded. I really can't comment on the Flamingo-we didn't go there,but my girls were 7 and 10 when we went and they liked MGM best, Mirage second.

Mar 15th, 2002, 07:56 AM
thereuare

The location of the Flamingo is much better than the MGM (IMO).

Your rate for the MGM seems to be a good one, and as far at the kids go, i would just have them wait separately with one spouse while the other spouse(solo) goes to check in. I wouldn't tell them about the kids (it's worth a shot).

The thing i don't like about the MGM is that it's WAY TOO BIG (and i'm young and don't mind walking). Takes forever to get from one side of the hotel to the other. They also have so many rooms that check-in can take an excessively long time if you happen to show up when a lot of other people are checking-in as well (incidentally, if you slept in a different room at the MGM every nite, it would take you OVER 12 years to sleep in them all).

One plus about the MGM (based upon your kid's ages) is that it is right near WagerWorks which is a large arcade which also has a rock climbing wall (assuming your kids are into video games and the such, but don't know how much they'll be doing of that with all the things there are to see)

However, i'm sure i'd be more favorable on the MGM if i got upgraded to a suite, but i wouldn't count on that happening!

Here's a site that has user ratings of all the LV Strip Hotels (just be sure to click on the LEFT where it says View Ratings and Comments, and NOT the hotel name, as the latter will take you to the hotel's website):

http://www.ratelv.com/hotels/strip.html

From the above site, Flamingo has an overall better rating (and a higher percentage of people willing to stay there again), although both are fairly favorable.

Here's another site with the "webmaster's" review of each:

Flamingo: http://www.cheapovegas.com/flamingo.html

MGM: http://www.cheapovegas.com/mgmgrand.html
(this site recommends the GRAND Tower and NOT the Emerald Tower if u choose to stay here, which may cost more than what you were quoted)

I would still stick with the Flamingo, but that's just my opinion, i think you'll ultimately be happy at either (it's not like your comparing these to Circus Circus!).

Also, a "well known trick" in Vegas (if you're up for it and the hotel is slow) is to slip the check-in person $20 while checking in and asking for an upgrade. The REAL trick is knowing what kind of upgrade you're looking for, asking for that while exposing the money, but not having to give up the $20 if what your looking for can't be done. (if u want more info on this "trick" (which isn't such a trick anymore) let me know and i'll try to post some links which discuss it in more detail).

Lastly, if anybody reading this wants my list of "Cheap/Free Things to do with Kids in Vegas", post your email and i'll send it OR if there are a lot of people that want it i'll repost it.

Feel free to ask more as more questions arise.

Mar 15th, 2002, 10:57 AM
thereuare

Correction above:

The arcade is called GAMEworks and not wagerworks.

Mar 15th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Tricia

Thanks again thereuare!!
Once more, you have provided us all with great info.
I checked out cheapovegas, read their reviews on both The Flamingo and MGM. Also, the Flamingo is one of the Fodor's top picks.
Good enough for us! We're going to stay with the Flamingo. (I think I just got a bit nervous reading all of Sister Jean's posts...)
One more thing, I have never asked for an upgrade. How would I find out what upgrades may be available at the Flamingo?
I'm going now to check out the ratelv site. Thanks again!

Mar 15th, 2002, 01:02 PM
thereuare

The best way is to read reviews (like the links i posted above) and find out what rooms people liked/didn't like. You can also gain insight as to which rooms/wings have been recently renovated.

There are also A LOT of message boards soley about Las Vegas. I would post there and ask people what type of room to ask for. One mesage board i like is: http://pub50.ezboard.com/flasvegastalkfrm1
For example, the previous board showed you that the Emerald and Grand Towers are NOT equal.

I'm no expert at this, but above all be NICE, and it is best to ask for what you want (within reason... asking for the "high roller suite" isn't going to get you anything except laughed at). I think you'll have better success asking for "a corner/large room on a high floor overlooking the Bellagio fountains" than asking "any upgrades available." Adding "we're here for our anniversary/birthday/etc and we want it to be a special time" might help, as well as "it's out first time in Vegas." (the more you can work into the conversation the better)

How soon is your trip? I'll try to find some info in my "web surfing." Also, if you're flying in, DEFINATELY use the airport check-in (time saver, less supervistion if you want to try the $20 trick, more laid back atmosphere since not a lot of people in line).

Also, there is a decent site http://www.billhere.com/coupons-lists.htm that will send you coupons for a small handling fee (site can be confusing, you have to link for coupons A-F, G-N, then O-Z are listed below the links on the main page... you'll figure it out). Many of the coupons can be found easily once in Vegas, some are harder to find. I don't know how is fee works, but if you add A LOT of coupons it can add up quickly, so if you chose to get some stick to the "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" things (buffets, meals, etc) that have some REAL value rather than the "free deck of cards" (which are easier to find once in LV anyway).

Be sure to go to Paris for buffet brunch, i haven't been but i've heard it's AMAZING!! Also, if you're on a tighter budget... if the buffet serves lunch from 11am-4pm and then dinner from 4pm-11pm, you can enter the buffet at 3:50pm for the lunch price, and then just have a salad until after 4:00 when the dinner food comes out! (same can be done with the breakfast/lunch break). When my sister was in LV, she would enter at the end of breakfast, eat a big lunch, and then just have a light dinner at nite (saved a bunch of $$ for a family of 5)

Mar 15th, 2002, 01:13 PM
thereuare

Thread on the $20 trick:

http://www.lasvegastaxi.com/dcforum/...15/1200.html#0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO