Maui - Haleakala Lunch Plans

Apr 7th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Maui - Haleakala Lunch Plans

Just changed our travel plans from Oahu to Maui. Trip is in June. Now scrambling to get our activities planned on Maui. Think we are doing horseback ride on Haleakala Ranch (the shorter ride, have done the longer ride into crater previously). I know that I've read about a restaurant a lot of people stop to visit after sunrise. We're thinking we'll be done at lunch time and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for restaurant for lunch. I've been focusing my research on Oahu for past six months, and appreciate any help you can give me.
Apr 8th, 2006, 04:22 AM

Kula Lodge? We stopped there for lunch on the way down from Haleakala and liked it a lot. Great views, too, if it is a clear day. You might think about making reservations - it filled up very fast.
Apr 8th, 2006, 04:41 AM

We stopped at the Kula Lodge on the way up and liked it a lot as well.
Apr 8th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I wasn't sure of the name. Can anyone tell me if Mama's Fish House is in the vicinity. Sorry for my lack of logistical expertise, but can anyone tell me if its logical to try to go to Mama's Fish House after Haleakala???
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:30 AM
trippinkpj

Mama's Fish House I think (not sure), is another 40 minutes past Kula Lodge to the coast. I personnally would choose Kula Lodge over Mama's. Great setting, but overpriced for what you get. Next time, I may just go to Mama's for a drink.

Apr 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Highly recommend Mama's for a drink...we did just that before heading off to dinner elsewhere. We each had 2 drinks and shared a Coconut Ono appetizer -- absolutely fabulous. The appetizer was expensive (about $20), but huge and perfect for 2 to share. We were also surprised when they brought out the complimentary soup tastings (little cups) and loaf of fresh baked bread...suddenly the $20 appetizer seemed more reasonable!
Apr 8th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Hi
As long as you are up that way, and assuming you're staying down at one of the beaches and don't want to backtrack or spend your whole trip on the road, we liked the little towns in upcountry. Makawao, something like that, had a few choices, including a great organic cafe hidden down an alley. Forget the name, but we'd been hoping for "clean" food on the island and stumbled upon it.
It wasn't dramatic or touristy, just nice to chat with locals in the informal courtyard setting.
Peterman
Apr 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM
trippinkpj

I liked Makawao, Polli's for Mexican. I don't reacall the organic cafe but it sounds great.

Apr 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like Kula Lodge is our best choice.