Maui great despite the weather!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was lucky enough to spend week between Christmas and New Year's on Maui. Though the weather was a lot less than perfect (every day overcast and plenty of rain) we had a blast. We stayed at the Outrigger Wailea which gets an A+ in my book. A lovely place with very good service and beautiful views. We enjoyed an oceanside massage and treatments at the Mandara Spa, appetizers and cocktails at the Mele Mele lounge, and walking along that beautiful path each morning looking for turtles and spouting whales. We thought our Molokini snorkel/sail with Four Winds was fine, but were suprised at how few fish were actually out there. Our helicopter tour with Air Maui over Haleakala and Hana was cool and the rain made the waterfalls spectacular, especially the ones inland. I took a trail ride with Makena Stables that was memorable. I wanted to take my horse home with me! Enjoyed Pa'ia and the Iao Valley...we found a great restaurant in Kihei called the Pupu Lounge in the Kihei/Kalama Village.
Would return in a heartbeat!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Hi Stella,

We were in Maui Dec 18 thru Christmas day. The weather was awesome everyday. We saw two rainbows Christmas eve day...and it hadn't even rained. We switched over to Kuaui the 25th to the 1st. The last three days were on and off rain...with one full day pretty much a downpoor.

As you mentioned the waterfalls it brought out were amazing. Did not get to snorkel on Kauai with the rough waters. Even the south side was rough all week.

It has been raining in NY since we got home on the 2nd. Dreary, cold rain...I feel like I've been getting rained on for a week now.

I'd so much rather be getting rained on in Hawaii. Glad you had a great trip. Here's to looking forward to the next one!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:13 PM
gyppielou

You know when you have reached the true aloha spirit, that place inside each of us, that's tells us, the surf is too rough to swim in - let's watch it, it's cloudy let's enjoy or adapt. On our 5th trip, we have never experienced such weather and surf, and never felt more in the aloha place in our hearts....did that make sence? Mahalo!

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:09 PM

Did the construction site next door impact you as it did one of the other recent posters?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

gyppielou: i think i understand what you said: i felt that i was in a such a wonderful place that the weather really could not impact the experience. everything that i saw and everything i did had nothing to do with the weather being great or not so great. Maui (and Hawaii) is so much more than "a place to lie out in the sun and get a tan"..... and that's why i love these islands so much and happily travel 6000 miles to be there!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

crazy4hawaii:
the construction site did not affect us at all. if i hadn't seen it i would never have known it was there.
i enjoyed every aspect of the Outrigger!