Maui - DINING ON BEACH

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui - DINING ON BEACH

My DH and I will be celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary in Maui ... I wanted to make arrangements for dining directly on the beach.

Has anyone tried a good service worth recommending?

Was it romatic or just cheesy and a waste of money?

Thanks!

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM

The book Maui Revealed had a recommended company to provide dining on the beach. I found the book's suggestions to be excellent overall.

I requested a menu from the company and wanted to do it but my husband decided against it.

Unfortunately, I have lent my book out so i cannot look up the name of the company for you.

Best of luck!

Lisa
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM

If you decide to stay at Kea Lani, Nicks Fishmarket is very good and has a good "view" of the beach and sunsets. They might (although I really don't remember) offer dining on the beach. It's worth a call to ask.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM

My husband I got married in Maui in 2000 and had our wedding dinner at Pacific O in Lahaina. Our wedding coordinator booked the reservation and we had a lovely table practically on the beach... bordering the sand. It was as close to the beach as you could get and the meal was fabulous. You may want to call and see if they still offer that. I think you have to specifically request seating near the beach.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Mama's fishhouse or a luau--right on the beach (maui)
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:48 PM
ssm

My wife and I also had dinner at Pacific O's. We have never been closer to the beach than that for dinner. We were just about on the sand.

As far as I can see, the only difference was that we did not have a personal waiter for only us and there were other people around us. But I have to tell you, we did not notice the outside distractions. Without question, it was the best and most romantic meal we ever had.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM

We attended the Feast at LeLe for our 30th wedding anniversary in 2001. The table we were sitting at was very close to the beach. It was expensive but it was spectacular.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Per the first REPLY in this thread, "Maui Revealed's" recommendation for catered dining on the beach is:
Tableside Chefs
808 875-8985

I do not know if this recommendation in Edition 2 is still current, but the firm was described as offering to prepare 3,4, or 5 course meals = $260 per couple.

...and courtesy of Google, it can be found on the web at:
http://www.tablesidechefs.com/

That site contains menus, new prices, etc., beginning at $300 per couple.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Pacific O sounds wonderful ~ Are all of the tables situated close to the beach? When you made your reservation would they guarantee a beachside table? I guess I'm looking for a for sure thing and don't want to be disappointed with a table next to the door LOL ...

Humu ~ Thank you for posting the info from Maui Revealed. I actually just bought the book before posting. I saw the recommendation, but was curious if anyone had actually tried it. Much appreciated!

Feast at LeLe - Where is this located?

Sounds like Mama's Fish House is a must ... so we will indulge there =)
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Ag3046

All the restaurants and luaus mentioned are very good, but you will still be in a busy commercial dining situation with many other people, noise, etc.

If you really want a special, on-the-sand dinner in front of the ocean,I would suggest looking for one of the Tableside Chefs sorts of things (I've never used them, btw). I think there would be a vast difference in ambience between the two options.

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM

feast at lele--lahaina
check out their website--i think it's feastatlele.com----great food and atmoshpere---reserve early! there was a professional photographer there who took our picture with the sun setting behind us--a nice touch!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Ag3046 - True about the commercial feel. We're looking to have a quiet, romantic, special dinner ~ unique and memorable ...

2006Italy - THANKS for posting the Lele's link. I watched the online video clip, which was great. The food seems carefully done in a "homey" kind of way (very nice). The show looks fabulous. I'm wondering if the dancing/show takes over the dining experience, though ... are you watching the show while eating? Is there applause in between each dance routine?

We once did a winemaker's event on the California coast where the food, views and wine was outstanding EXCEPT we had to eat and small talk with our table mates as well as the staff - there were 20 other guests. The presentation and discussion of the wine was a bit obtrusive as well. Needless to say, it was not a romantic dinner as we had expected.

We would like to partake in a well done commercial-type show/dinner AND have one intimate, unique dinner a la Tableside Chefs.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:01 AM

hello! you are welcome!
we did the feast at lele and reserved early so that we had a table up front and sat just the 2 of us.....you are watching the show and eating at the same time but i remember still enjoying the food-the show didn't take away from me enjoying time w/my DH and the food!--each course that came out was from a different pacific island and they did a dance related to that island---i was able to enjoy the food and the show at the same time! great staff too!
the old lahaina luau is much bigger and we sat with random people (who were very nice and we had fun with them!) but i think if you reserve early, you may be able to get a table alone---but it is definitely not as intimate as the feast at lele! the feast had a much smaller crowd and good food.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:05 AM

PS-I just reread my post and i wanted to add that the old lahaina had good food too (i thought my post kinda sounded like the feast only had good food-but they both did!!) also bubba gumps always was crowded (lahaina) we couldn't get in-you have to make reservations early----that would be more of fun dinner!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

2006Italy ~ Your post was VERY helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share the details of Lele and others. I think we will definitely consider making reservations there ... though I still need to check out Pacific O.

I know for sure we won't be trying out the Old Lahaina Luau, as you mentioned being seated with random, though nice, people ... that won't be for us.

Many thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
ssm

Picklepeach,

FYI, the Feast at Lele is held, literally next door to Pacific O. From where we were sitting, we could see the entire show taking place. It looked like a very nice experience.

As for the seating at Pacific O's, when I made the reservation I specifically asked for the beach seating and they came through. It seems like they are able to accomodate couples for these seats as opposed to larger parties.

Finally, we also went to the Old Lahaina Luau. It is hard to believe this is the same group that puts on the Feast at Lele. I know I am in the minority but I thought the OLL was over rated. The food was marginal, IMHO and the "random seating" is really not the best. We made reservations months ahead (one of the first for that night, or so I was told). Although we had front row seating (behind the people sitting on the pillows), we were on the side of the stage and were the very last group to the buffet (the first group was finshing their dessert when we walked up). I guess it was one of the experiences I can say I did but I think my money would have been better spent at a very nice restaurant.