Search

Maui dining

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 01:09 PM
e. poggi

Maui dining

My husband and I are planning a 10 day trip to Maui in Nov. We wondered if anyone has suggestions on places to eat including brunch. It can be in all price ranges. Thanks.

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 07:21 AM
Bart

We just returned from Maui on 2/28. I did a report that covered a lot but here is a summary of the dining.
Kaanapali area- Roy's in Kahana, The Plantation House(Good Bfst Buffet), Sam Choy's in Lahaina, . Avalon used to be good but recently changed ownership and needs to readjust. Lohngi's is a trap. David Pauls is OK - the above are better. Skip A Pacific Cafe just north of Kaanapali- Poor.
I don't have much experience in the WAilea area except for Joe's Bar & Grill . Good .
IMHO the best restaurant on Maui is the Hailemaile Gen'l Store. It's a bit of a drive but well worth it. Bev Gannon runs Hailemaile and her husband runs Joes but the Hailemaile wins.
Most of the big hotels have daily buffets.
Aloha,

Bart

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 09:44 AM
Anne

We had some of our best meals in Maui, there are many first rate restaurants. We were fortunate to have brunch daily at the Swan Court in the Hyatt, it was delicious. I definitely agree with the previous post, Roy's in Kahana was incredible and some of the best seafood we've ever eaten. Kimo's in Lahaina and Pacific O's were also great. We also had great lunches at the Hula Grill and Cheeseburger in Paradise. Have fun!

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 03:14 PM
Jon

I have to disagree with one of the above posts: the best four dinners we had in six weeks on Maui this recent January-February were all at A Pacific Cafe Honokowai. We also thought Avalon was still as great as ever, even with the new ownership. I do agree that Roy's (and the adjacent Nicolina) are always wonderful.
LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, sights, activities, hotels, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(notice it ends in org, not com)
Jon

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 08:18 AM
pthompson

Be sure to visit Swan Court at the Hyatt in Maui - absolutely romantic!

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 09:00 AM
Sandy

Try Charley P. Woffer's in Paia for breakfast if your on your way out tom Hanna. The food is great, but best of all my son met and got an autograph from Willie Nelson early one morning as he also was having breakfast there.

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 06:02 PM
charlie

Another great place,Mamma's Fish House. It's on the road to Hanna only 20 mins from town on the way to the "big surf" beaches on the North side. Great location right on the beach. More of a native type of recipes than Roy's but very very nice. Quite pricy too.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 07:49 PM
Teri

I'm so glad you asked! We just returned day before yesterday from a heavenly week on Maui. We stayed in the Wailea area, but ate also in Lahaina and on the North Shore at Mama's Fish House: yes, the best eating on the island but expect to pay $. A word of warning: Don't, repeat do NOT, bother with Carelli's On the Beach, S. Kihei. It is over-rated, overpriced, and way too full of itself. We were determined to dine there, because we'd missed out by not reserving soon enough on a previous visit - big mistake. First, be aware that "table seating" necessitates a $25/person min. charge, not applicable for booth diners (3 feet to the east). My "house pizza," at $16, measured 8" in diameter and was not served with my family's dinners. They were served, we waited, they dug in, I waited, and waited. Finally, as plates were cleared I suggested that my pizza be placed in a box, to go. Presented with the bill, I was floridly informed that there would be no charge for the pizza. Huzzah. My single glass of wine (I had requested a glass of merlot) was charged out at $18. The kids' ice-tea refills cost an add'l $4. Yes, there are photos on the walls of prior diners: Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Pat Riley, blah blah. With all the great restaurants on Maui, this one's not worth it. In the Kihei area, I suggest Stella Blues, a place where a family of 4 can get out for $30 (treat yourself to the fresh mahi mahi).