Maui condo recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (me, husband and 8-year old daughter) are considering a trip to Maui in April. I was thinking a condo might be nicer than a hotel for us, but I am open to hotel suggestions as well. I like the idea of more space, but I want to be somewhere that isn't too far from some restaurants. I don't want to spend my whole vacation cooking. We would like to be able to walk to a beach and a pool as well. We plan to rent a car. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 12:03 PM

I would check vrbo for condos on Napili Bay. It's an area of low-rise condos on the most beautiful bay. It will be perfect for your daughter.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hale Pau Hana is on the beach in Kihei and a five minute walk from about eight restaurants.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 12:51 PM

Kamaole Sands
Hale Kamaole
Maui Kamaole
are 3 complexes in a row, north to south, just south of Kihei (relatively noise/traffic free). Across from the Kamaole I, II, III beach parks (a lovely stretch of sand). They all have two pools, nice BBQ areas, etc. They are also within a short drive of some terrific beaches, hotels, and of course the town of Kihei (supermarkets, restaurants, shopping)
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...ui/kihei/south
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 12:52 PM

We stayed in a three-bedroom condo at the Wailea Grand Champions in March. The location was perfect for our extended family. It has two pools and is a pretty easy walk to Ulua Beach. It's also close to a number of restaurants.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 01:25 PM

Lodging budget, please? Do you want a 2BR 2 bath condo(I'd prefer one to sharing a room and single bath with my child.) Are you coming over Spring Break? (Higher pricing during school holidays and when the whales are visiting Maui.)

I suggest you book your rental car now, while you look for condo or hotel.

This site has aerials, reviews and rates for almost everything in Hawaii: www.hawaiirevealed.com
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

We are fine with a one bedroom, as long as there is a pull out in the living room. I would like to stay under $300/night.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 09:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I liked Lahaina Shores a lot. The pool out back is beautiful set on a grass yard. The beach is narrow right at the hotel and nothing special. Units are different as they are individually owned. Convenient location walking distance to central Lahaina.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have friends who stay just north of Lahaina at Honokawai. The condo complex is Maui Sands, but their are tons in this area, oceanfront.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 01:09 PM

We like Napili Bay alot, the condos are great and the beach is beautiful, perfect for families.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 02:37 PM

I also recommend Napili Bay as it has great swimming and snorkeling. Honokowai is close to Napili and can be less expensive. We stayed in Hale Mahina in Honokowai which has a nice, small sandy beach in front of the condo. We were able to snorkel right off this small beach in August and saw lots of sea turtles.
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 12:24 AM

I use vrbo and stay at pohailani condos with our kids. Not expensive
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 11:49 PM

Some condos that are listed on VRBO are also on TripAdvisor and Expedia, so you can compare reviews. VRBO post only positive reviews.

Last year we stayed at Kaanapali beach hotel, it's right on the ocean, has 2 or 3 restaurants and kids' activities, free concerts each evening, beautiful place. We had a fridge, don't remember if there was a microwave.
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 05:58 AM

"VRBO post only positive reviews."

Not true. Owners have no control over bad reviews, except to challenge them in a set amount of time with VRBO. Negative reviews are posted.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 09:15 PM

staying in a condo does NOT mean you spend your time cooking. It does mean you have lots more room than an hotel for just about the same price. It is nice to have the option of cooking knowing you don't have to eat every single meal out. with a little one it is nice for snacks, breakfast, etc. Much prefer condos but the one thing I miss is not having someone clean up after me!
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 05:50 AM

Sylvia3, we rented a condo on Maui through VRBO in October. I posted the same review as on Fodor's, the owner didn't like it, sent an angry email, and VRBO took off my review per his request. He "edited" my review and emailed me telling me to post his version.

Yes, there are some negative reviews, maybe condos are timeshares, not privately owned like it was in our case.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 05:55 AM

Eastave, most places post a map, some of them post exact address or the name of the place, you can run them on Google to see if they are on the beach.

Keep in mind, all beaches are public, so there will be a few yards walk to the beach. We stayed first time in Kaanapali area, and I liked it more than Napili as closer to restaurants and nicer overall.

Would not stay in Lahaina if you want to be on a beach, but would definitely visit for a day, at least to see the Banyan Park.

Staying in a condo vs. hotel means you have a better refrigerator, but maybe no maid service, if this is important.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 06:38 PM

I'm another vote for Hale Pau Hana. I found this location on VRBO but the unit that was offered was taken the time we were going to be there so we ended up booking directly though the resort. BEAUTIFUL swimming pool in view of the beautiful sandy beach without having to cross the road.

Utahtea