Search

Maui Condo near Whalers Village

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Condo near Whalers Village

Hi.

I have searched the forums and thought I had narrowed our condo search to two: The Whaler or Ka'anapali Alii (becuase of location). I went to VRBO, but found that the condos for these two places were either out of our price range ($200 or less/night) or already booked (we are going to be in Maui June 22nd - July 2nd for our one year anniversary).

Does anyone have any other suggestions if I tell you specifically what I am looking for in a condo? (please and thank you)

Ocean view from lanai
Two people - so a studio is fine
A/C
Full kitchen
Located on a good beach
Walking distance to other resorts and shopping
$200/night or Less

Thank you so much for your help, trying to find a condo has been very overwhelming.

-Suzanne
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Might be hard finding something in Kaanapali for that price. Look at Maui Eldorado perhaps, but they are quite far from the ocean. Kaanapali Royal are on the golf course at Kaanapali so they might not hve the views you are looking for. Maybe the Kaanapali Shores?

Look in the Kahana, Honokawai, or Napili areas for more reasonable condos.

-Bill
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM

The Maui Kai meets all but your requirement of walking distance to shopping. You will need a car. It is not linked to the boardwalk of Kaanapali.

There is a small shopping center that you could walk to (we did), but not real shopping there - grocery, and small strip mall type.

The Maui Kai is somewhat aged, but has some newly renovated rooms and we found them to be just what we needed.

Search my name for a trip report and link to pictures of the place.

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 05:07 PM

Aloha travlinteach,

You are welcome to Email me for a list of Whaler Studio owners who rent their units privately. My list has 30 owners and their phone numbers on it.

This list was just updated last week.

Please write to:
[email protected]
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:52 PM

We always stay at the Wailea Ekahi Villages condominiums. They are so perfectly located, the beach is the best in Maui etc... Worth looking into.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM

HumuHumu, about renting directly from owners at the Whaler: I was told that front desk charges on rentals directly from the owner are going way up, and parking charges are also going way up? Do you know if this is true?

Also, there is a rumor that The Rusty Harpoon near the Whaler is shutting down and will be replaced by a Cheesecake Factory. Tell me it ain't so !!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM

Aloha Rusty,

You are correct about Whaler rates going up. As of April 1, 2007, all guests renting via private owner will be charged even more than at present, by the ResortQuest "front desk."

The current $35 fee charged at check-in to all non-RQ guests will rise to $50. In addition, RQ also intends to charge an ADDITIONAL $5/day fee to all non-RQ guests (after that first day of check-in), ostensibly to provide "front desk services."

Just so you will all know: The non-ResortQuest guests will include every GUEST who rents directly from a private owner, as well as those who rent via Whalers Realty and Monte Fitts Realty companies.

Of course, the obvious intent of these additional fees is to try and force the private rentals (and the two realty firms) out of business...and into having to turn their units over to ResortQuest for future rentals...at their fixed rates.

Qualification of the ABOVE info: A sizeable number of Whaler owners do intend to petition the Board to rescind the increased rental fees, at the next Board meeting in one week. Stay tuned for an update!

You are also correct about parking fees. As of this January 1, ALL Whaler guests are being charged $12 per day for parking on site. Although it is unfortunate that The Whaler Board has increased this fee (from $5/day), this money is intended to help fund the repairs to the existing leaky garage.

As to your third rumor, about the Rusty Harpoon being replaced, I have no knowledge.

Rusty, keep those rumors coming!

One last note: I have had the pleasure of sending my personal lists of Whaler owners who rent privately...to at least 3 persons in the past week, since my earlier post.

I invite all Fodor forum readers to write me if they wish a list of EITHER Studios OR 1-2 Bedrooms, for rent by private owner. Each list is up to date as of the end of December.

I make these lists available solely because I enjoy helping others to enjoy a stay in Paradise!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM

HumuHumu, I assume that the parking fee applies to all guests at The Whaler, not just those renting directly from owners. An increase in parking fees to $12 per day is exorbitant, considering that the parking garage is falling apart and signs are posted warning people that pieces of concrete from the crumbling infrastructure may fall on their cars. Also the garage is very wet because water is seeping up through the floor. The poor condition of the parking garage alone is enough to discourage people from staying at The Whaler. Doubling the parking fee to park in such dangerous conditions will only further discourage people from staying at the Whaler.

The Board of Directors would be well advised to reconsider this decision, although I assume that they are acting on the advise of the management company, Resort Quest.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help. I actually found an available condo within our price range at the Whaler .. Unit 601 rented through http://www.alohacondos.com/. I am sure I will be back soon with more questions.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM

Humuhumu,

Please keep us posted on this upcoming board meeting in regards to the parking fee at the Whaler. $12 a day? I agree that's ridiculous for a soggy garage with falling peices of concrete or else a small lot a long walk for many or even a lot in the facility next door when previously mentioned 2 lots are full. And, the $5 daily add on for "front desk" perks. I've never heard of a resort doing that. We've stayed at many properties, renting from owners and have never been subjected to all these add on fees. Shame on these greedy resorts!!!!!
Kalena
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Aloha to "[email protected]"

I invite the person with the Email address of "[email protected]" to RESEND to me their request for a list of Whaler 1-2 Bedroom Owners: The above address has failed twice (as "Returned Mail," via "[email protected]"

I need a different Email address for you.