Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

maui-both renaissances will be closed... which marriott now: ocean club or wailea?

Search

maui-both renaissances will be closed... which marriott now: ocean club or wailea?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so i've been checking into all 4 of the Marriotts in Maui for my honeymoon next october 2006. Well it turns out that both of the Renaissances (kapalua renaissance & Renaissance Wailea Beach) will be closed by then. So that leaves... the Marriott Beach Ocean Club (in Lahaina) and the Wailea Marriott.

So which one is better? I can't decide. The Marriott Ocean Club will have construction going on during the time i'd be there (from 8am-5pm and some weekends). The Wailea Marriott will have finished all their renovations of their rooms and construction (they're putting in a pool, new restaurant, etc).

I want to pick the Wailea Marriott because i really don't want our relaxing time in Maui to be ruined by construction. But my fiance isn't sure because he thinks the Marriott Ocean Club looks nicer.

Can anyone help me out... what are the pro's and con's of the 2 remaining Marriotts?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 04:57 AM

A big PRO of the Wailea Marriott is WAILEA. Beautiful area - more upscale with better beaches than west Maui. Plus, I would always opt for an already renovated resort over one that's in the process. Look at the tripadvisor reviews also...
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:54 AM

We stayed at the Marriott in Wailea when it was the Outrigger. The hotel was nice with the beach off to either side. The beaches are certainly nicer in Wailea, however, if given a choice, we really did like the Marriott Ocean Club better. We stayed there last summer in a one bedroom time share unit. (we rented it). There was plenty of room, a small kitchenette area, fridge, dishwasher and microwave and the common areas are beautiful. We stayed there years ago when it was just a hotel and liked it then. Since then, it is no longer pink and the pool is outstanding. The location on Ka'anapali Beach is perfect. We liked being able to walk to the Whaler Shops (although they have the Wailea Shops near the Wailea Marriott) We liked the proximity of the Hula Grill and Lae Lani's and the proximity to Lahaina town. The construction wouldn't be an issue for me. 8 am in Hawaii is too late to sleep in and they are done by 5 pm.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Hi Aliwnec10,

Do you mind is I ask what you found out as to why the Renaissance hotels are being "closed". Is it due to renovation?

I wish I could answer your question, we loved the Renaissance Wailea out of the two we have stayed at there, so if that one is closed, I am afraid I am of little help.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

The Renaissance at Kapalua is being taken over by Starwood so they'll be closing indefinitely. from website... "The hotel will be closed for a complete repositioning of the resort, from April 7, 2006 until December 31, 2008"

The Wailea Renaissance is closing due to renovations for a while. I know they'll be closed in october 2006. That's all i know.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Thanks Aliwnec10, I appreciate it. Good luck with your planning and best wishes!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Please advise which website you saw it stated that the Marriott Renaissance will be closed from April 7th, 2006. We have reservations for April 17th, 2006. Yikes.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=JHMKB

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 03:23 PM

I would investigate further, we were told last year the Wailea Renaissance was switching to Sheraton and the renaissaince was moving to Kapalua. Wailea is a fabulous area, the Renaissance was right next door to the former Outrigger, now marriott.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM

It's the Renaissance in Wailea that has been taken over by Starwood and will be re-branded as a W Hotel.

The Renaissance at Kapalua Bay is scheduled to be razed and a new resort built in its place.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

There's not a Marriott in Kaanapali right?
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:54 AM

There's the Marriott Ocean Club in Kaanapali which used to be a Marriott resort but has now been converted to Marriott Vacation Club timeshare units. You can still redeem MR points for the property though.

Are you able to check availability yet? That may settle the decision for you. I've had difficulty redeeming my MR points at Vacation Club properties but no trouble with regular resort properties. You're traveling in low season which helps.

Have you considered another island or are you set on Maui?
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:58 AM

I see what may have led to your question. Marriott lists the Ocean Club property as being in Lahaina on their website. It's actually on Kaanapali beach which is close but not in Lahaina.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Patty... Yes we're staying a week in Maui and a week in Oahu at the JW Marriott. Have you heard anything about the JW?
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:04 PM

I haven't stayed at the JW but have driven out to Ko Olina. It's in a relatively isolated area and will take some extra driving time if you want to see other parts of the island besides the western/leeward side. Then again it may be exactly what you're looking for.

We'll be staying at the Waikiki Marriott and Renaissance Wailea in January. We debated between the Renaissance and Marriott in Wailea but the Ren seemed to get more votes here (I know it's not an option for you though).

Hope you have a great honeymoon wherever you end up deciding to stay!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:32 PM

A few other thoughts - you can use your MR points at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua. It will however cost you about twice(?) the number of points versus a category 6 Marriott property for 1 week, but it's another option if you're willing to part with the points. You could also consider splitting your stay between the RC in Kapalua and the Marriott in Wailea. That would give you a feel for two different areas of Maui. I think RC awards can be redeemed in 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 night increments.

I've been thinking some more about the JW Ihilani... are you really sure you want to stay here for a week? That seems like a long time for an out of the way location. Personally I'd get a little bored and I think you'd run out of dining options nearby.

I know you didn't mention the Big Island, but I've always thought that the Marriott Waikoloa would make a nice honeymoon destination. I haven't stayed there but have toured the property. The location is a good combination of being relatively quiet and relaxing, yet within close driving distance to many activities and good restaurants. Also I believe the property will finish renovations early next year.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

No we're definitely stayed at the JW Marriott in Oahu for a week. But don't worry, we're renting cars in both Maui and Oahu. I've heard many mixed reviews on waikiki and i really didn't want to risk it, which is why we chose the JW. That way, we get to be isolated (being on our honeymoon and all), but we also have the option of doing other things.
Thanks for the tip about the Ritz! I was aware of that idea, but i quickly found out how many points i'd need to use. So out the window that idea went.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:21 AM

We have stayed at the JW and it is a beautiful property with the best rooms of all Marriott resorts.

The location is a little out of the way but that did not bother us as we do not like Waikiki and wanted peace and quiet. The beach is lovely as is the pool and did I mention the rooms.....!!
If you have a car you are close enough to restarant choices in Pearl City and surrounding areas and Honolulu is about half an hour away.
To me you get the best of both worlds.

As for Maui. The Maui Ocean Club is expanding their Vacation Club and is building a new wing entirely as well as converting the hotel portion into condos. Not sure what the noise and inconvienience will be like.

Kapalua was once owned by Starwood and was bought by Marriott. It is being torn down to make a Renaiisance Resort in 2 years. ( starwood told us this the last time we stayed there)

Wailea is very nice, great shops and restarants but the hotel is not great.
Also, you are a long way from Lahaina which is a fun place to stroll at night and has a good choice of restarants

I would definately go with the Ritz if you have the points. The property is lovely and the location is spectacular , close to Kapalua bay and the best snorkeling around.

Be aware that the Ritz is not on a beach, to get to it you have a fairly long walk and the surf is usually quite rough. The pool is often quite cold but is one of the best on the island. I don't think you will be disappointed here.

Aloha
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM

Just to update my own post from October, the Renaissance in Wailea also appears to be scheduled for demolition with a new St Regis condo project built in its place. Ren Wailea seems to be bookable on the Marriott website through June 15, 2006.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Just to update again. The closure of the Renaissance Wailea must have been postponed because it's now bookable through the end of this year.