Driving from Door County to Mackinaw City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any suggestions on what to see and do between Door County, WI and Mackinaw City, MI- I've read about the falls and the point on Lake Superior- how about the Soo Locks-any long delays in crossing into Canada there?
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Any of those places you mention can be visited on the way from Door County to MC, though all are a bit out of the way.

If I was making that loop, I would also visit Point Iroquois Lighthouse, just west of Bay Mills in the Hiawatha National Forest.

The delays at the Sault tend to be entering the US and depend on the day and time of day. When I crossed on a Saturday afternoon in April, it was only about 10 minutes. But I have seen the line go all the way back to the other side of the bridge.

Keith
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:35 AM

We just took a week long driving trip from the Milwaukee, WI area. We stopped in Marinette for a night since we left after work and didn't want to drive 5+ hours to Munising right after work. The next day we drove up to Munising/Pictured Rocks area for one night. The next day we headed to Whitefish Point which has Taquahmenon Falls along the way and a nice shipwreck museum at the point. The same day we drove down to Mackinaw City. The drive was not bad at all. We spent three days at Mackinaw City (I highly recommend the Brigadoon B&B there). We took a day trip up to the Soo Locks. We took a boat trip there which takes you thru the locks. The captain of the boat said that delays getting back into the US from Canada are as much as 2 hours on most days. The day we were there, it was 45 minutes to get back in, so we opted to stay in the states.
The highlights of our trip were the
Pictured Rocks in Munising...we did a shipwreck glass-bottom boat cruise there, but I wish we would've had time to do the scenic cruise as well.
We also enjoyed the shipwreck museum and Taquahmenon Falls. There are many other smaller waterfalls in the area as well. We also enjoyed Mackinac Island and for the last leg of our trip we went to Traverse City and then drove down to Muskegon to take the Lake Express Ferry home. It was a great circle tour.