Maui Boat excursion?

Search

Maui Boat excursion?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Boat excursion?

I've been confused on this one and therefore planned nothing. We are a family of 4, two college aged children, staying on Maui at the Sheraton on Kanaapali from Dec. 19th-25th. Read more bad about Molokini snorkeling than good, thought about Trilogy trip to Lanai, but wondering if the kids would be bored. Daughter likes to sunbathe, son, likes action and not laying around. And keep wondering about whale watching trips. Also which boat company Trilogy or Fairwinds II? We've done lots of snokeling in the Caribbean and I've snorkeled lots at the Big Island and that was the best ever for me. Do you really see whales on whale watch tours? My kids are afraid they will waste time boating and never see a whale. Or we could skip the boating idea and just hang out at beaches. We are driving 2 days around and spending the night at Hana. And then we have 4 days left at the Sheraton. Any ideas about boating excursions, especially which boating company, Trilogy or Fairwinds II would be appreciated. Thanks, Lisa

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Take them on a sunset dinner cruise (Maui Princess is nice), and keep the binocs handy the rest of the time. Sounds like the kids would rather be doing than watching!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Molokini snorkeling can be wonderful (though the scuba diving is even better) and what's the worst that happens if it isn't? Several hours on a catamaran enjoying beautiful views of the islands and the water...what's wrong with that? Of course if the sun isn't shining, I'd skip it for a hike inland. I've sent relatives in the Trilogy trip with great success and suspect that Fairwinds would be indistinguishable. From 6am to 1pm your sun will get plenty of activity, your daughter will get plenty of sun, and all of you will see Maui from an entirely new angle. With plenty of free time left in the afternoon and evening to try something else.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:32 AM

My older teens/young adults aren't big on snorkeling tours but on our last trip to Maui, we did a sail/snorkel on a mono hull boat. I think it was the Sea Mist but it is docked right in Lahaina near all of the others. We all loved it. There were only a couple of other guests on the boat although it could have accommodated a lot more. I think that the popularity of the Cats draw the passengers. That's fine with me. I love actually sailing on a monohull boat.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:33 AM

I've been on both. Trilogy with just me and DH and Four Winds with the kids. For that age kids I would do Trilogy to Lanai. It will be very nice. Daughter can lay on the trampoline and sunbathe while son enjoys the sailing and snorkeling aaspect. Food is delicious.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Pacific Whale Foundation has good whale watching cruises. It's almost 100% that you will see whales on any whale watching cruies from any company off the Maui coast. Maui has more whales than any of the other islands.

Also, whale watching from dry land:

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...060400838.html

This site lists some whale watching cruises. Also lists places to see them from land:

http://www.activity-hawaii-travel-gu...ng-hawaii.html

Also:

www.mauihawaii.org great Maui site.

www.visitmaui.com

Snorkeling:

www.snorlelbobs.com Scroll to the bottom and click on Map'nTips.

http://www.snorkeling-hawaii-insider...com/index.html

http://www.adigitaldreamer.com/snorkel/maps.htm

http://www.maui-vacation.net/snorkelmap.html
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pacific Whale Foundation does not dump their sewage at sea, ask the others what their policy is.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Trilogy is our favorite way to see the sea when we don't fly our own rugs. We like Trilogy captain who am resemble Jimmy Buffet and has crew that is capable in many areas of cooking on the island. Activities for snorkel, ranch tour, sun bath, BBQ, and thinly possible whale watching are done from sailboat with food that is not rocky to make people sickness. Two thumbs up, as we say in Chicago.

Do seek truth in all your travels and you will never be bored on island, invisible in snorkeling waters, and seasick on rug or boat.

AR
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Four Winds has one of the prettiest boats, small and fast (less chance of motion sickness according to my seasick-prone husband). Trilogy does a great job--considered the best in terms of food and service (real home made cinnamon buns!). Take Four Winds to Molokini for snorkeling, and Trilogy to Lanai where kids can get some beach time there.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice. My kids want a "fun" boat. Sort of like going on the Carnival vs Royal Caribbean cruise ships. One is more fun than the other and one has better service and better food. They just want fun. My son would really like one of those rafting type boats, but my daughter was in a bad accident with a severed hip and many surgeries, and the Ultimate Whale Watch company did not get back to me or answer my questions about how rough and bumpy those raft type faster boats are. So ha, I'm still a bit confused. Maybe I better toss a coin. All of my other plans are all made for a 2 week trip to Hawaii, that I am so excited about. Again, thanks for all advice.