Search

Maui Bike Tours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 07:45 PM
Adelle

Maui Bike Tours

We will be going to Maui in April and need suggestions/comments about which bike tour is the best.....we would like to go on the sunrise tour.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Cheryl

My husband and I did the sunrise bike tour last June and it was the highlight of our trip. DO NOT PASS UP THIS OPPORTUNITY! We rode with Mountain Riders Bike Tours and would have a hard time recommending them for one reason--they could have killed us on the way up the volcano. Apparently, there is competition at the top of the volcano among the various biking companies for the best parking spot. The tours leave at certain intervals-one group at a time-and the first ones up are the first ones down. If your tour is one of the last ones up, then you may have to wait an addition hour or two before you can ride down. With temperatures in the 30-40degree range and at 2-3:00 am time range, this could be uncomfortable. Our driver drove like a madman from our hotel to the place where they pick up the bikes. All 12 passengers on the van were scared half to death. When we questioned him about compromising our safety for a better parking space, he just fluffed us off. We thought our troubles were over when a different driver took us from the bike rental place to the top of the volcano--WRONG
this guy was falling asleep at the wheel.Again,all of the passengers up front who could see him were scared too death that we were going to drive off the mountain. Maybe we just hit upon some irresponsible drivers that night-maybe that is the nature of the beast. My suggestion would be to check with the hotel where you are staying. They should recommend the best companies. Maui DownHill came as a recommendation at the Hyatt but that was after the fact. If going up the volcano was a nightmare, the awesome view and spectacular sunrise more than made up for it. The ride down was a thrill of a lifetime. The scenery was breathtaking. You will ride through a Eucalyptus forest, pass through horse country, eat breakfast at a quaint restaurant, learn about pineapple and sugar cane....incredible experience. Go for it but check with your front desk for the best company. Email me if you want more info. Have fun. Cheryl

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Bebe

You know...you can do all of above yourself in a rental car. And still have time to stop and enjoy scenery. Also, be aware that sometimes sunrise is not the best time for viewing; clouds/fog sometimes get in the way. Check the weather for the morning. I've been up there mid-afternoon and the view was just as breathtaking.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 06:19 AM
Allison

If you don't do the bike trip, you will most assuredly miss one of the finest highlites that Maui has to offer. Also, you MUST stop for breakfast at Kula Lodge. The food and views are truly unforgettable. I used to live on Maui. Any questions, send me an email. Have a blast! I'm jealous.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 10:16 AM
Dick

My wife an I loved the Bike trip down Haleakala.

Best time to go is the first full day on the island...assuming you are cominig from the mainlaind your "body clock" will have you up early anyway.

Dress in layers...it starts out cold..but you can be down to shorts and t-shirt by the time you get to the base.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 11:41 AM
Lani

Regarding biking down Haleakala your first day - if it's the first day in the islands, would that be a good idea to do that when you would have to be jeglagged? Seriously, people have gotten killed doing this fun activity! So you do need to have your wits fully in hand. Just a thought!

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 02:40 PM
edie

my husband and i used mountain riders for the sunrise bike ride down the volcano, and the drivers were great, and we had breakfast with the tour at a chain rest. in a mall in kihei, so maybe i have the name wrong or the other poster does.
this is my honest opinion of the ride, and the time of day.
the ride was great, and i would love to do it again. BUT getting up at 1:30 in my cozy ritz-carlton room to get on the van at 2:15 SUCKED! and then you get to the top of the mountain around 5:45, and it is FREEZING! now, we had been warned, we had packed winter clothes, and we are from NY and MA, so we know what cold weather was like, and this was rough! AND we had jeans, fleeces, long sleeve shirts, in addition to the columbia wind suits the tour co. gave us. i actually took 2 jackets from the guide, and was still freezing. finally an hour and a half after sitting on top of the mountain freezing our hineys off,the sun rises. then we waited about 30 more minutes till our turn to ride down. the ride was great. then we get back to the hotel around 1:30, and were sooo tired from being up for 12 hours already, we went to sleep for 4 hours.
in short, i would advise you to do the ride during the day. yes you miss the sunrise, but after sooo much hype, i found the sunrise not so great. and you also miss freezing yourselves for 2 hours at an ungodly hour of the morning. and if you spend the day riding down the mountain, you won't feel like we did that we wasted the day sleeping. and unlucky for us, that was the one full day of sun that we had of five in maui. all the other days were mixed weather.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Julie

Edie, thanks for the info on the sunrise ride. I think you convinced me that we will do the ride, but during the day. I can't imagine having to get up at 1:30 am to see the sunrise at 5:45! I think there will be plenty of other times to see spectacular sunrises while we are there. I hope we have better weather than you did. We are going next month.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 03:21 PM
jc

We LOVED the bike ride down the mountain that we did with Aloha Bike Company! It was the best experience we had anywhere on Hawaii (and we had lots of great experiences). In my opinion, taking a car down in no way compares with the exhilaration of feeling the breeze in your face and the road under you.
The Aloha company is different from all the others because they don't compete for space at the top of the mountain. They meet you at a park at the base of the mtn around 7am, give you breakfast and a safety briefing, and then drive you up in a van to just outside of the state park. They don't leave until all the other bike companies and cars have gone down so you have the road almost to yourself. Plus they continue on into the countryside to a winery for lunch. Terrific!!! And very safe if you follow their precautions.
We did the sunrise on the mtn before this by ourselves and it was great! It was windy and chilly but the peacefulness of the mtn was great and seeing sunrise above the clouds is magical.

Old Jan 15th, 2000, 04:31 AM
Dick

Regarding the early pickup...

Not all companies pick up at the same time. It depends where you are staying...some are picked up more than an hour befor others and must endure a long van ride. Before booking, ask what the pick up time will be from your SPECIFIC hotel/condo.

It really is worth doing the first full day on the Island...if you are coming from the mainland.."jet lag" will have you up very early anyhow...it is later in the day when you will be tired. If you are going to do the sunrise trip you may as well use your "body clock" to your advantage.

My wife and I took a short nap after the bike ride and then hit Little Beach.
Adjusting to the time diffence after that was not a problem.