Maui and Kaui or just Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just booked our plan tickest for our first trip to Hawaii. We are going fro 2 weeks next June. We had originally planed on spending a week on Maui and a week on Kauai. We will be flying into Maui and were planning on staying the first week there. But after reseacrhing a place to stay on Maui I am wondering if we should just stay in Maui for the entire 2 weeks. There seems like there is so much to do and see. We aso want to have some time to relax. Wjat are your thoughts. Any help would be greatluy appreciated?
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:39 AM

You ought to spend one of the weeks on Oahu. Lots to see and do there.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Frankly, I like the idea of a split between Maui and Kauai - not because there is not enough to see on Maui (there's plenty) but because well... Kauai is my favorite Hawaiian island. If you do choose to do that though be sure and stay on the north coast of Kauai and either West or South Maui (note my response to your other post). Don't stay on the south coast of Kauai and also in either South or West Maui as they just too similar. A combination of South (or West) Maui and the north coast of Kauai would be a good mixture. Weather would be more reliable on Maui (though June is apparently pretty good everywhere) whereas the north shore of Kauai will be far more scenic (spectacularly so).

A great mix in my opinion.

Ken
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Well of course it depends on your interests. I have to agree with dusty that Oahu should be on the list for the first timer. Pearl Harbor, the Arizona memorial, the Palace etc. But, there is so much to see and do on all the islands that it's really "to each his own". If you have never been, as far as I'm concerned, there is no way to go wrong with any choice and the next visit you try something new. I have finally made it to all the islands at least once and having done that I have my favorites, the places I will continue to return to. Some places having been there once, I don't need to go there again. So, pick your spots, you can't have a bad time, and have a great trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 11:41 AM

The Princeville/Hanalei area in Kauai is absolutely spectacular with lush mountains and plenty of hidden beaches (that should be reasonably safe in the summer compared to the big winter surf). But I would go stir crazy after 7 nights. Give yourself a more than generous 4-5 nights there and leave yourself a week-and-a-half to enjoy Maui.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Our first trip we visited Maui for 10 days and were very happy and busy.

Our second trip we spent 5 days on Maui and 9 days on Kauai and were very happy.

No matter what you decide, you will be happy.

Since you have 2 weeks, it would be nice to see Kauai. We fell in love with Kauai. The Napali coast is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. If you are a hiker, you will love Kauai---many more hiking opportunites on Kauai.

I am one of the people who love both ends of both islands and don't care which side we stay on. We will spend time on both ends of the islands no matter where we stay.

The northshore of Kauai does has spectacular scenery, but is quite a drive from Kokee where we love to hike.