Maui & Kauai: Questions about Lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some questions about loding on Maui & Kauai. 6 days on Maui and 5 on Kauai.

1) On Maui or Kauai, do we need to move from place to place while staying on one island -- more convenient for sightseeing? When we were on BI, we stayed at 4 different places over 8 nights, and we thought that was convenient for our sightseeing because we didn't have to drive long distance to/from hotel. But Maui and Kauai are much smaller, so it might not be necessary to change hotels?

2) If so, which area would you recommend for us? On Maui, I'm thinking of 1st night near the airport, 2nd night in Hana, 3rd night in Upcountry near the crater, 2 nights in a resort in West Maui. Haven't done any research on Kauai, so I welcome your suggestions.

3) Maui: Sheraton vs Westin? Which one is better? We like to snorkel and boogieboard. Is the Westin far away from the beach?

4) Other than the beach resorts, please recommend any clean, safe, convenient lodging in the other areas that are not too expensive -- under $100.

5) How to look for condo rental on Maui and Kauai? Lodging seems quite expensive.

Lots of questions here. Appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:25 AM

You did 4 hotels in 8 days on the BI? Wow. My opinion for Maui or Kauai? Dont switch resorts that often or at all. The islands are small enough to get around & back in one day. Many hotels are offering deals like 'stay 3 nights get a night free', or condos will give you a better value for longer stays.
Of the top of my head, a condo resort in Kihei for Maui and an Aston in Kauai should give you the access, activities and prices you are looking for.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM

No. 3 - do you mean the Westin Kaanapali? If so, it's on the beach. There's also a Westin timeshare resort just north of Black Rock. It's also on the beach, but it's not on the main part of Kaanapali.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your replies!

FrankS, thanks for the suggestions. What part of Kauai is the Aston?

sf7307, yes, I meant the Westin hotel, not the timeshare. Is it better than the Sheraton? Guidebooks tend to rate the Sheraton better. Is it because it's right at Black Rock? It costs us the same either one.

Thanks!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Stay in one place on each island. You don't have enough time on either to be wasting checking in/packing/unpacking, etc.

Under $100 is not going to give you much on either island.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM

The Westin and the Sheraton are very different. The Westin is more "glitzy" (the pool is a fancy resort pool, with roman columns and the like). The Sheraton is very low-key --- the grounds are very nice, it has a nice pool (no swim-up bar here), the hotel itself is "plain jane" like all Sheratons. The Sheraton has the advantage of being right at Black Rock, the Westin has the advantage of being slightly closer to Whaler Village. Neither of those is a big advantage or disadvantage, though, because the walk to/from either is easy on a paved beach path.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Can't help with Maui, been too long since I was there (10 years) but agree to stay in one place, both islands are much smaller than the Big Island.

Agree that $100 is not going to get you much, check VRBO.com and also cross-post on Trip Advisor in the Maui and Kauai forums, lots of active posters there.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM

JC,
I know United Vacations had Aston Kauai Aloha Bch rooms for $700/wk for lots of dates, and the higher rated Astons are not much more. Its a bargain hunters paradise in Hawaii these days.