Search

Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui?

Hi everyone. Would love some help!
Getting married in Sept and was thinking about going to Maui (versus the Carribean due to hurricane season) for our honeymoon.
We've done some research (vrbo.com) and I think we can get a good deal on a condo (hopefully right on the beach!).
So, what part of Maui would you recommend to stay on? We're into hiking, biking, water activities (snorkeling, etc).

Any other advice would be great. I was in Oahu a few years back, but have heard that every island is SO different.

Can't wait for feedback! Thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Congrats on your engagement! When we visited Maui we stayed at Wailea and loved it. We rented a condo at the Polo Beach Club which is located on a wonderful, quiet stretch of beach. We saw turtles every evening and beautiful sunsets. It's at the south end of the walkway that stretches about 1.5 miles each way past all the ritzy resorts. We walked it at least once a day. PBC has a an oceanside pool, gas grills and herb garden for guests. We drove to the end of the road and hiked along the lava fields to La Perouse Bay. We found a couple of blowholes that were active when the waves were up. Other things to do - bike ride down Haleakala, road to Hana and several waterfall hikes, drive around the north end of the island.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

That sounds so divine! I can't wait!

Can you recommend what part of the island to stay on? South? North? Etc?
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Haleakala is amazing, but we drove up mid-morning not the sunrise trek. it was still cold but magnificent.

Lahaina (town) is fun. A great afternoon for wandering around galleries, shops, lunch, etc. There's a good historical self-guided walking tour you can get a pamphlet for.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 11:31 PM

The eastern Pacific hurricane season runs from May 1 to November 15, with peak activity July through September. Many remember hurricane Iniki, which devastated Kaua`i in September 1992. The Atlantic hurricane season is 15 days shorter. I would not let the slight threat dictate where I spent my honeymoon.

Most people choose west (Ka`anapali) or south (Kihei/Wailea), the areas of the most development geared to tourism. You may want to look east to Hana and environs, if you prefer relative peace.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 05:18 AM

We just got back last night and stayed in a cottage in Makena. Loved that area. Close to fabulous beaches and very quiet. We spent the night at Hotel Hana Maui as well. I'd end the honeymoon there with 2 or 3 nights.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Hi! Where did you stay in Makena, jamq?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Aloha,
Maui is vastly different from Oahu, mainly in that it is less developed and far less crowded.
East side is wetter, West side drier. When you hear "West Maui" they are referring to NW, the Kaanapali & Lahaina area. South Maui refers to the SW section, Kihei & Wailea & Makena.
Paia and Hana are on the East side.

If you look at a map of Maui, you can see it as a womans head & bust. Kaanapali/Lahaina are up on her forehead, Kihei/Wailea/Makena are down on her chest. Paia is on the back of her neck, and Hana is on her back.

Paia is like Santa Cruz in California. Lots of young & old hippies, surfers, with natural food stores & casual restaurants. Small shops. You can see all of Paia in a half day.

Hana is the whole Road to Hana thing. There's a lot about that on other forums, so I'll just say locals avoid going with their visitors. That's because we get stuck in the back seat, and while you are ooohing & aahhhing at the scenery we are looking at the back of your heads. Also, when you get to Hana there isn't much to do there, for visitors. You need to take the trip with the mindset that it's the journey, not the destination. Enjoy the scenery, don't just try to motor over there fast. It's a full day, and you will be very tired when you get home. Most of my visitors want to take a nap.

K/L is very developed, a bit artificial, with lots of resorts, and good for those who like lots of developed activities. The resorts are along the beach in a row, so you can walk from restaurant to gift shop to bar to room. Lahaina is like San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf - lots of art galleries and gifts shops with restaurants (good & bad) sprinkled throughout. Locals only go there when they have visitors, or to eat at a specific restaurant, and usually we skip the trip if our visitors don't mind. If you are staying in South Maui, expect a drive of 45 minutes to 1.25 hours up to Lahaina, depending on traffic. It's a 2 lane coastal road, and if there are any problems you'll be delayed a while. Local advice - if you are trying to get there dinner reservations, allow at least an hour. If you are ealy, you can wander or have a beverage. If you are going for something vital like a wedding, leave 3 hours and be super safe. We hate to see the crazed Mother of the Brides in the cars all stressed out because a traffic accident is keeping them from their daughter's wedding.

Kihei has a lot of infrastructure, like grocery stores, shops, movie theatre, etc. Rentals here are condos or vacation rentals. Many condos are right on the main road with beach across the street, or on the beach. From several you can walk out, go to the beach, and also walk to restaurants. Most eating places in Kihei are more casual and less pricy. No real nightlife, just a few of places with music, but it isn't a party town.

Wailea has more condos, the resorts, is more upscale, and has a shopping center with the ritz stores like Coach, Tiffanys, and some finer restaurants.

Makena is mostly homes & condos, with one resort.

On the South side, the further south you go the more money and then very little development.

If you prefer to stay in one araa, like a lot of restaurants & shops and you don't mind the "staged" look of the area, go to West Maui. If you like nightlife, go to West Maui.

If you like a more neighborhood feel, want smaller restaurants and will tend to want to cook a few meals in a condo, stay in Kihei.

If you want resort and are willing to hop in your car for most trips, go to Wailea.

If you have money, try for Makena.

Realizing it's hard to describe it all, this is a brief "impressionist" description.

The upshot is that anywhere you stay you can drive to another part of the island, so you can't really lose out.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM

There are about 10 sites on this thread that are good for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564