Search

Maui

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:11 PM
Laurie

Maui

What area/resort is the best on Maui for a family of 5? Children ages 10, 8, 7.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:45 PM
Claudia

Better take out a loan! I love Maui and would give high ratings to the resorts in the Wialea area, in particular the condo set-ups near the beach. Kihea, while more resonably priced, is a little too touristy for me. There is a nice shopping area close in Wialea, but you are miles away from the hustle-bustle of Lahaina and other attractions, but under the shadow of the mountain...so all places have their ups and downs! Beach there is super, though. Mahalo!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:26 AM
Melanie

I was in Maui this past summer. We stayed at the Westin in Kaanapali. I really liked the area. I thought it would be perfect for families. In fact I plan on taking my two girls to Kaanapali in the next few years. This time we will stay in a condo, though. It will definitely help with cost of meals.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:12 AM
jennifer

i used to live on oahu and work on maui. definitely stay in kaanapali, on the western side of the island. the most resonable hotel rates (for maui, anyways), beaches are great, and not too far away from anything. enjoy!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:41 AM
Laurie

Thank you for all the information. I think we've definitely decided on Kaanapali.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 03:34 PM
Chuck

Laurie,

The place to be with kids those age is the Grand Wailea. They will have an absolute blast on the waterslides. I am 30 and I had a blast! I hope you have money, because you will need it.

Have fun!

Chuck

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 04:33 PM
annemarie

I was actually thinking that the Kea Lani in Wailea might be your best bet. Take a room with a mountainview to lessen the cost. You will have a suite which will give you a little more space..so a bedroom with 2 double beds and a livingroom with a pullout double. You might even be able to pull off a king in the bedroom for the 2 of you with a rollaway for the extra child. You will have 2 tvs, a VCr with rentals available, a huge bathroom, a small sink, bar frig, micro, coffeemaker. The balcony is quite roomy with a table, chairs and loungers. The deli downstairs albeit pricey, is cheaper than a sit down restaurant...purchase yummy muffins, sandwiches, whatever...a drive into Kihei for some grocery basics. There were families there when we were there and it is a lovely property.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:09 PM
maui

Laurie,

Check out the Kanapali Ali condo complex (next door to the Westin). I think they have a website. We just returned from Maui & plan to stay there next visit. It is on the beach and a short walk to restaurants, shopping and many other outdoor activities.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:14 PM
HLecter

You should be able to get the little ones barbecued at the Holonkawonkamahu bar & grill for about $30. Don't forget the tip as these people have long memories....

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 10:28 PM
Dave

Laurie, it really depends on how much you want to spend. If money is no problem, I would agree with Chuck and suggest the Grand Wailea. The resort is world class and the kids will go crazy in the pool.

If you're more on a budget, then condo is the way to go. For a long time, the Kaanapali Alii condo resort was one of the best values on the island. It's located right between the Westin and the Marriott on a prime stretch of beach. The two bedrooms are really large and you can save money with a mountain/golf course view. I haven't been there for about 4 years, so you may want to get a more recent evaluation because beachfront properties need constant refurbishment and can get run down real fast.

The Kaanapali Alii is in the upper price range for condos mainly because of its prime location but there are many other more inexpensive condos in the area.

I've also stayed at the Aston Kaanapali Shores which is quite a distance from the Alii. It's cheaper but it's not nearly as nice and the beach is a lot lousier.

I hope this info helps you.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Celine

I was wondering, it was mentioned a couple of times to go to condos to save money, however the Kanaapali Alii seems to be as expensive as most hotels close by...other than the size of the rooms, why would I pay as much for a condo, when I can get better pools/restaurants, at a hotel?? Please let me know your opinions...

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:54 PM
just helping

Celine,
You may want to post a new message so you can get some responses to your questions. Most of those responding will read the original post and respond to that or they'll see it was dated last year and ignore it.