Matamorous or Progresso

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matamorous or Progresso

While we are staying at South Padre Island in a week or so we hope to go over to Mexico for some shopping. We have been told that Progresso is a better place to go then Matamourous (sp?). Any opinions on this? Thanks.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:03 PM

Well, Progreso is certainly a LOT smaller, quieter, less crowded, and less intimidating than Matamoros. On the other hand, there's not a lot there other than a few (fairly good) souvenir markets, a couple restaurants, a couple pharmacies, about 8 dentists, a few stray dogs, and about 38 businesses called "Arturo's (insert business type here)"

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Brenda,
If you are going to be staying in South Padre, you best bet is to just make it a trip to Matamoros since it's much closer than Progresso.

However, Progresso IS the favorite down here, but Matamoros is decent. If you do go to Matamoros, be sure to go to a very popular shopping center called GARCIA'S. They have a great restaurant, fantastic shopping store and more. They also have a parking garage that is stocked with security and very friendly people. They speak English and can show you around, as well. Also, if you want to eat, Matamoros has a great restaurant called "Mi Pueblito".

Most people just walk across the bridge from Brownsville to Matamoros. The cost is, I think, 50cents to cross and then 25 cents to cross back. To drive across is about $3.00 and then to cross back is a bit less, but I can't remember.

I live in Brownsville, so if you have any questions, feel free to email me at: [email protected]

You can also view my website at: www.spireviews.com

Have you booked your hotel yet? I have some suggestions. Either way, have fun!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 02:36 PM

I would strongly advise against driving across to Matamoros. If you are in a rented car, you will be violating the rental agreement by taking the car out of the USA, and if you are in your own car, your insurance will not be valid in Mexcio. Be safe and just walk across!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Good point Christie!

Just walk across.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:12 AM

I think we parked at the library in Brownsville and walked across. We took a cab into the Central Mkt. I can honestly say I wish we had skipped it and just stuck with Garcia's.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:20 AM

I've never been, but have asked others and none of them think that Matamoras is very good or safe. Definitely not at night.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM
jor

I'v been in several Mexican boarder towns and I did not like Matamourous. But then I have not been to Progresso. I really don't like any of the boarder towns because they are tourist traps for Americans. Oh well! I guesss I don't like shoping and Nuavo Larado (spelling) didn't have one shoe in any of the shoe stores that were big enough.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Yeah...I never have the need to visit Matamoros again. In fact my 11 yr old is on a class trip in that area right now and a couple of parents thought it would be "fun" to cross the border. I had to really voice my opinion, because I think it is a bit dangerous with the kidnapping, etc going on. Crossing into a border town is nothing like actually traveling "in" Mexico.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:57 PM

For your info:

Brownsville murders in 2003: 0
Brownsville murders in 2004: 1

Matamoros has a population of over 1 million people. There were about 75 murders in 2003.

If you ask me, that's a very safe area.