Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Advice about car insurance in Ohio..paying way too much?

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reside in OH. I have insurance through progressive, my payments are about $230/month. I do finance my vehicle so it's necessary to have full coverage, I do have GAP insurance through my car dealership. OK. I have a ticket and 2 at fault accidents on my record (one really wasn't my fault) both under $500 claims... ANYWAYS, I know people who have DUI's that have lower car insurance than I do and I am a good driver, ugh. Is there any sugesstions on ways to lower my car insurance?
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 05:35 AM

You DO need to comparison shop, no doubt about it. But your rationale isn't necessarily correct. A lot goes into pricing car insurance on top of the insured's driving records. What is the year, make, and model of your car? How many miles do you drive daily to work? annually? do you use your car every day for business (delivery service)? where do you live? how safe is your neighborhood? Do you have one person on the policy (you?) or are there others? If so, what kind of driving record do they have? How old are you? Lots of factors. Believe it or not, if you are a college student with as many tickets as you shared and comparing yourself to a late middle age person with a DUI more than 3-5 years old, you just might be paying higher rates.

Comparison shop apples to apples and you will see differences.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 10:14 AM

A ticket and 2 at fault accidents don't make a good driver. Some companies won;t insure you under those circumstances.

It also depends on where you live (and the car theft rate), where you park (street or locked garage) and safety/security devices you have - as well as type of car.

I pay almost $200 per month, have a perfectly clean record and park in a manned garage at night - and don;t use the car for work - only weekends.

You should try other companies - but be sure you don;t pick one of those who always find areason not topay claims.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 07:23 AM

I pay 65 a month for Progressive in Ohio for two cars.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unbelievable
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Well - it all depends on what insurance you have. If you have no assets - or are willing to risk them - you can take the minimum policy.

We have significant assets and there are a lot of expensive cars here - so we're now carrying $500,000 each. (If you're carrying $25,000 and cause an accident with even a Porsche or Jaguar - how do you pay that off? Never mind injuries.)
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 09:19 AM

yes it's minimum insurance. we are young and drive a mazda 3 and subaru impreza, we have no assets.

I guess the main point to all of this though, is sure shop around, doesn't hurt to look.

Most of the people I know (average Ohio professionals) pay about $400-$500 per 6 months.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 09:21 AM

I also think the rates would be a lot less between Ohio and NY, just a guess!! Ps we have no tickets or accidents and have been with Progressive for 7 years.