MASSACHUSETTS IN THE FALL

May 7th, 2001, 09:33 AM
TINA ROBINSON

MASSACHUSETTS IN THE FALL

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE THINKING OF TRAVELING TO SALEM MARBLEHEAD AND BOSTON THIS OCTOBER. WE HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD AND WE MIGHT HAVE A 14 YEAR COME ALONG ALSO-RIGHT NOW WE ARE BOOKED AT THE SALEM INN IN SALEM IN A FAMILY SUITE AT $235 P/NT BUT HAVE AN OPTION TO STAY IN PEABODY AT THE HAWTHORN SUITES FOR $84.50 P/NT-WE WANT THE MOST CONVIENT LOCATION BECAUSE WE ALSO WANT TO GO TO BOSTON BUT THE RATES ARE TOO HIGH TO STAY THERE.ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER THOUGHTS ON WHAT TO SEE OR DO AND IF THIS IS A GOOD TIME TO TRAVEL.

May 7th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Beth

Tina,
Check out the Marriott in Peabody. I think the location, price, and comfort will provide the best deal all around. Great time of year to visit! In Salem, visit the Witch Museum, House of 7 Gables, and Peabody Essex Museum. Good restaurants at The Lyceum and Grapevine. In Marblehead, stop in at the town Hall to see the original "Spirit of 76" painting and eat at Maddie's Sail Loft. Also visit Gloucester and the Hammond Castle Museum. Have fun!

May 7th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Penny

Tina,

I guess I differ with the previous poster--although the rate might be better in Peabody, you're not right on a train line to Boston there. And even though I've lived in the area for years, I still wouldn't choose to drive into Boston for sightseeing.

Cap'n Jack's in Swampscott, http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/bbc/p602877.asp, might be a choice. Swampscott is between both Salem and Marblehead. It is right on the commuter train line, and buses go right by the hotel on their way to the city. It would be easy to drive there from Salem. I don't know if the rates will be any better than at the Salem Inn, however.

It's a great time to travel to this part of New England. If it's near Halloween, however, Salem will be jammed with tourists. In fact, if it's anywhere near Halloween, you may not want to stay in Salem at all.

With a three-year-old, you might want to do different things than you would w/a 14-year-old. House of Seven Gables, for instance, is way above a three-year-old's interests, though he or she might be young enough to take along w/o complaint. A 14-year-old might find it interesting, though. The various witch-related sights in Salem might be too frightening for a three-year-old. My son, however, loved the Pirate Museum when he was about four--though there are some scary things there.

The Peabody Essex Museum is great, and probably everyone can find something there. Yes, see Spirit of 76 in Marblehead, and walk around Marblehead's Old Town, making sure to make your way out to Fort Sewell. And I agree with Hammond Castle in Gloucester/Magnolia.

I agree with the Lyceum and the Grapevine for restaurants in Salem--both are expensive. Personally I wouldn't choose Maddie's Sail Loft, but plenty of people like it. With kids, you might try a more family-oriented place like Jacob Marley's in Marblehead.

In Boston, all of you, including your three-year-old, might like to take the Duck Tours: the "ducks" are land/amphibious vehicles that give you a tour of Boston's streets and waterways. The Children's Museum is very good, but I'd definitely recommend the Science Museum, which is excellent (and has a great IMAX theater), and the New England Aquarium. Walk around the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Markeplace area. Walk through Boston Common and the Public Gardens, and down Newbury Street. Visit the Christian Science Center, where kids like the Mapparium, a stained-glass globe that you can walk through.

From the Aquarium, you could catch the part of the Freedom Trail that takes you to the North End of Boston, home of Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church. This is also Boston's "Little Italy," so you should definitely eat there.

If I think of more stuff, I'll post it. Meanwhile, I hope this helps.

Sep 20th, 2004, 01:57 PM

I was searching for Salem, MA Pirate Museum, and all I was able to pull up is this old post. My question is - is the museum for children only?

I will be on a tour of New England, and the schedule gives a couple of hours to explore Salem. I guess I'll have enough information from the tour guide to skip the Witch Museum.

There is also a trolley running till October 31, so this is a good back-up option for a rainy weather, right?
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:03 PM

The Pirate Museum I think is kinda cheesy. I was through it maybe 6yrs. ago so I don't remember much but there were a lot of kids. The Witch Museum is the best attraction in town IMO as far as witch attractions go. The Trolley Tour is very good and very informative and isn't only about the witch trials.
Sep 20th, 2004, 06:30 PM

If you want to take in the Duck tour, you should book ahead of time. I arrived at noon on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend to find it was all sold out for the entire rest of the day. I live around Boston, and I agree with the previous poster about what to see. Our IMAX theatre in the Museum of Science is larger than others I've seen and curves around you. Again, to not be disappointed you should book tickets ahead of time for that, too. They both have web sites.
Sep 20th, 2004, 06:51 PM

To eat, the children will like the "Barking Crab,"on the waterfront.
Sep 20th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Faina,
I don't know about the Pirate Museum, but if you have a couple hours to explore Salem before your tour moves on, you could try:
Peabody Essex Museum - lots of whaling artifacts and art
House of Seven Gables - pretty cool historic home with fantastic views from the courtyard
Witch Museum - for low-tech historical dramatization of the trials
"Haunted Houses" - people in scary costumes jumping out with "BOO!"
Psychic Fairs - There will be tons of fortune tellers about!

Faina,
If you need more info, I'd start a new post. I think a lot of people are answering the original from almost 5 years ago, and not reading through to get to your question.

Do you need lodging/restaurants? Are you traveling by bus on a regular tour?
Do you have children with you?
Sep 21st, 2004, 08:54 AM

Thank you, all! Dreamer: I'm taking a bus tour, no children, and there is another post about possible get-together in Boston.

According to the tour schedule I will have a couple of hours to visit a museum or 2 in Salem. I will have to decide there whether to take a trolley tour (I may get tired of sitting on a moving vehicle by then) or visit a museum. Of course I searched all possible websites, but it's always better to hear from people who know, who visited, not from those who're trying to sell.

Shaker village is an optional on this tour, and I'm going. This will be something unique for me!

Search this Thread