Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mass/Boston-How best to orient myself/E/W/S/N?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 10:26 AM
KarenAnn

when I'm in boston and the cape, i NEVER know which way is E/W/N/S..short of carrying a compass, what is the best way to better orient myself please? I'm in florida and it's easy for me to do, as in: ocean is east, sun sets west, towards palm beach is north and towards key west is south. help please. thanks

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 11:17 AM
Dick

Interesting dilemma, KarenAnn. Things are really pretty simple in Boston. As in Florida, the ocean is east and the sun sets in the west. If you look around and see Italian restaurants, that's North. If you see Irish pubs, that's South. 8^)

The Cape is a lot tougher, and having spent much of my life there hasn't made it any easier for me, so I can't help you with that. But I can point out a few things that might get you more confused. First, old-timers like to use the terms "Upper Cape" and "Lower Cape" - one is the area toward Provincetown and the other is the area toward the canal, not necessarily in that order - I have never been able to remember which is which. Second, one way to be recognized as a newcomer (or even, gasp, a tourist) is to insist that the "real" Cape starts at the Canal - much of area landward of the Canal (e.g., Wareham, Plymouth) is geologically part of Cape Cod, and the Canal is a relatively recent man-made division. Real old-timers know the Cape starts just south of Duxbury.

Finally, most people think the Canal runs north/south and therefore has a northern end and a southern end. In fact, the Canal runs east/west, so has an east end at Cape Cod Bay and a west end at Buzzards Bay.

The best advice I can give you when on the Cape on a sunny day is to go by the sun, which you already know how to do. On a cloudy day, your best bet is to head for South Boston.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 11:47 AM
Charles

Be aware that some of what Dick said was a joke. And a funny one at that.

May I add that if the planes are close overhead its east, and if you are around a bunch of characterless apartment buidings it's west.

THe simplest thing is to carry a cheap compass, or orient yourself with a map until it starts to sink in.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Dick

OK, Charles, I can't resist one more:

If you find yourself in an interminably long traffic jam due to construction, that's east.

If you find youself in an interminably long traffic jam due to a baseball game, that's west.

If you find yourself in an interminably long traffic jam due to an antiquated bridge, that's north.

If you find yourself in an interminably long traffic jam due to everyone trying to get to the Cape on Friday afternoon, that's south.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Charles

Laughed out loud at this one.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Donna

Dick's comments are right on!

Karen Ann, you may want to get yourself a compass. I find mine invaluable when out and about. I got it at the Rand McNally store in Boston. It's small (about 3/4 inch square) and slides right onto your watch strap. Awesome!

Be advised that on Cape Cod, the route signs are positively not the direction you're really going. For example, when traveling north on Route 6 toward Provincetown, the signs read "Route 6 South". No kidding. And, there's a stretch of highway going to Boston from Norwood where there's a "95S" sign right above a "93N" sign, or maybe it's the other way around... Elsewhere, you'll find all sorts of routes marked "east" that are really north or south, etc.

A compass is your best bet.

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 05:48 AM
KarenAnn

What a hilarious thread. Thanks. Now I'm even more confused. I'll have to go to a place like Sharper Image to check out a compass. I've no clue where they sell them or even in what department they'd sell it in dept. stores. Geez, i can't even find the COMPASS. LOL LOL

sounds like I'm going to need one. Maybe I will stare at the compass and not the road. LOL

Thanks for making me laugh so much!

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Donna

The compass I found at the Rand McNally Store is also available at www.randmcnally.com

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 03:48 PM
KarenAnn

Donna, thanks will check it out.

How's the traffic going towards and away from the city at night..say after 7 or 8 pm on a weekday?

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 04:23 PM
KarenAnn

Donna, the compass I might buy is the following. How does it "attach" to the dashboard? This will be a rental car I have and I don't want to damage it in any way. does it have glue or velcro under it? Thanks again. It says:
==================
You've used Rand McNally's maps to choose your routes. Now use the Rand McNally Auto Compass to make sure you're headed in the right direction! This low profile auto compass attaches easily to your dashboard so it's there when you need it most--after that wrong turn! And don't worry if you're one to travel through the night, this compass comes complete with a light.

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 08:07 PM
Charles

Karen,

After 7 Boston traffic is usually no bad, with the exception of the central artery (goes through the center of Boston) Because of the big dig the central artery is randomly backed up 24/7. Solution - don't go on it. For the most part you don't have, to, and the locals don't. Of course, the tough part is explaining what we do do...

By the way, if you are in Miami or Ft Lauderdale, as your posts seems to indicate, you will find the drivers in Boston to be generally much nicer. You will find the roads to be a 1000% more confusing. To reiterate our general advice, don't drive in Boston unless you have to. Park at a T (subway) stop and take the train in.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 05:37 AM
John

Boston is a Hub. If you use that analogy and consider the Harbor/Waterfront as the center, then:
The major highways and rivers extend out as spokes. Southeastexpressway/I-93 is South; I-93 N is North; Rt 1 is Northeast; Mass pike is West; Charles River and River roads(Memorial Dr, Starrow Dr, Soldiers Field Rd) are West.
Rt 128 (aka I-95) is an inner Beltway connecting the spokes and I-495 is the outer Beltway (also the way to avoid Boston is going from CT or Ny to Me or NH).
Most of the places you will go in Boston will be within the sector between the different spokes. You will get to the area by traveling along one of the spokes.
The subway system also uses this analogy. Most lines run from the periphery to the center and stops are labelled "in-bound" or "out-bound". There are no lines that connect outer margin to outer margins, you have to go to the center to get from one peripheral point to the next.
I have found understanding Boston this way to make it easier, although it is still next to impossible to get around by car. I might add, most Bostonians carry a copy of city maps in their cars to find places and get out of trouble when getting lost. I have been here 20 yrs and still get lost and take wrong turns.
If you look on it as an adventure, it will help.