Reload this Page >

Jamestown/Yorktown - Williamsburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:15 PM
JR

We're taking a week's vacation from mid-Illinois and trying to squeeze a whole lot into it (without making everyone crabby We'll be going through WV, Shenandoah & Charlottesville, Williamsburg, then on to DC. On the way back we'll stop at Gettysburg & maybe Hershey, PA. I wish we had time to tour Philly.

My question ...are Jamestown and Yorktown really worth visiting or are they more for children? I don't want to waste any time.

Also, has anyone ever stayed at the Best Western Colonial Capitol or Capitol Motel? Are they safe & clean? Not trying to be too particular, but we'd prefer 2 Queen beds & a refrigerator. Anyone know of a good place?

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 06:01 AM
mms

Yorktown and Jamestown are run by the US park service and I feel are actually alot more authentic than Williamsburg. The history of the United States first long term Settlement - Jamestown - is very interesting. Yorktown's history is about the very important Revolutionary battle there that changed the course of the war.

Williamsburg is also very interesting, however, I would say that it is actually more geared towards children than Jamestown or Yorktown. It is also quite expensive, while Jamestown and Yorktown are virtually free.

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Don in VA

Yorktown have two visitor centers; one run by the National Park Service ($2 per car), and a (much better) one run by the State called the Yorktown Victory Center. Go for the latter if you're short of time--last time I checked adult entry was $7, but well worth it. You can drive around Yorktown and see the earthwork battle embankments for free.

The Colonial Parkway connects Yorktown, Williamsburg, and Jamestown and can be somewhat scenic especially in Fall. This is the easiest and best way to navigate the Historic Triangle.

You can walk around Colonial Williamsburg for free, but entry and tours of the main buildings will require a pass (about $30). For a quick trip, you may want to pass on the, uh..., pass. Evening "Lantern Tours" are more reasonably priced. Jamestown Island is $7 per car; I'd give this one a couple of hours at most.

Not fitting with your history theme, but Busch Gardens is worth a visit, even if only for one evening (closed Nov-Mar). It is impeccably maintained, nice atmosphere for a theme park, and fun for both kids and adults.

You didn't mention Richmond, but the Virginia Historical Society Museum and adjacent Va. Museum of Fine Arts are excellent, as is the Museum of the Confederacy.

Shenandoah Valley is nice and relaxing. Lots of historical markers, great scenery. The Mennonite farmer markets outside of Harrisonburg are interesting (IMO).

Check www.roomsaver.com for rooms. The W'burg Best Western(s) aren't the most modern. The Days Inn Colonial is a star among an otherwise inconsistent hotel chain--I believe they advertise on Roomsaver. Enjoy VA (then PA)!

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 06:29 AM
ellen griswold

Sounds like a fun trip, JR! We loved all the places you mentioned, and depending on your children's ages and interest in history, I would certainly make stops at Yorktown and Jamestown. While you could conceivably spend a few days in Williamsburg, you can almost see both Yorktown and Jamestown in the same day.....JMHO, folks! Certainly if you have the time, you'll want to linger, but it sounds like you have an ambitious itinerary....and I too, would rather do all you've mentioned!

I'm not familiar with the two motels you listed, however I can heartily recommend the Ramada Inn Historic Area, on Merrimac Trail. While we are NOT fans of the Ramada Chain, this was formerly the George Washington Inn and has an olympic-sized INDOOR pool that our kids loved. And the price is right!

Have a great trip!

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 06:37 AM
Don in VA

Correction: there are 3 Days Inns in W'burg area. The only one I'd recommend is Days Inn Historic Area on Bypass Rd.

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 02:51 PM
Jeannie

Suggest the Embassy Suites in Willaimsburg. You can usually get a decent weekend rate (less than &150.) online. We stayed there the last weekend in October last year. Free cooked to order breakfast, free evening cocktails. However, not really within walking distance of Colonial Williamsburg.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 05:48 AM
Brian in Atlanta

If you do go to Yorktown, don't miss the Yorktown Pub - right next to the river.