Reload this Page >

CAPE COD-to routes 2 and 7-how please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 05:57 AM
Patricia

How do I get from the Mid-Cape (Hyannis) Route 6A, for example, to scenic Route 2 and/or 7 please?

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 08:56 AM
Dick

I'm assuming you mean Route 2 headed out to northwestern Mass and Route 7 going north/south through the Berkshires. Here's one possible, probably the most direct, route:

Exit the Cape on Route 6 over the Sagamore Bridge and continue on Rt. 6 west along the canal toward the Bourne Bridge, picking up I-495 North. Continue for about another hour and you will see signs for Route 2. I'm assuming you will want to follow Route 2 west.

In about an hour you will cross I-91 - from approximately that point Route 2 west is referred to as the Mohawk Trail. You will intersect Route 7 just before leaving Massachusetts, after passing through North Adams. Follow it south toward Lenox, where (if you're planning on returning to the Cape) you will need to divert briefly onto Route 20 to get to the Mass Pike, which can be followed back east to I-495. This loop could be done in reverse, of course.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 11:45 AM
Patricia

thank you so much. I just came back from AAA and your directions seem MUCH more direct to Route 2 and 7 from Boston than the ones I was given. Thank you. Is really as "scenic" as they see...re: foliage? I didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't. thank you so very much again.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 11:47 AM
Theresa

Patricia, just wanted to warn you. If you do the whole trip, it's over 9 hours just one way. There are the same number of scenic routes on Route 2 as there are on 7..on Route 2 you are further west of Boston, you get closer to Hartford on Route 7. I don't know about loding on those routes, but if you take them, I'd try to find out from someone what lodging, if any, there is on the way there.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Boringroute2and7

Frankly, there isn't one thing to see on either of those routes. Why waste your time and gas? Gas is close to $2.00 around here. You'll be bored to tears on Routes 2 and 7. You'll be driving in circles around the middle of Massachusetts. For what?

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 12:21 PM
CMcDaniel

Patricia, Rte 2 from 91 west to 7 is a beautiful drive in the fall. Once at Rte 7 I would go into Williamstown, very picturesque town, then head south again. Williamstown has plenty of places to stay, but you should have reservations in advance.

The drive down 7 through the Berkshires is not as dramatic as the drive north on 7 through Pownal (VT) up to Manchester area. The mountains are smaller, more rolling hills, but it absolutely is worthwhile, despite the troll post above. Lenox or Stockbridge both make wonderful stops (overnight?) as well, but both will be quite crowded that time of year, and again, you will need reservations in advance. I grew up outside of Lenox and though in FL now, we head back to do the Rte 7 drive most every autumn. Never realized how gorgeous that area was until I moved away! Perhaps that's Boring's problem...never left, doesn't know any better, but I suspect not. Rte 7 is hardly the middle of MA, as she said, coming as it does less than 10 miles from the NY State line in places and paralleling the border the entire length of the drive. Can't get much further west than that and still stay in MA. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Dick

Patricia - CMcDaniel's information is right on. The drive is very worthwhile and the western Massachusetts colors are unmatched during foliage season. This is principally because the more dramatic topography further north also has more pine trees, which of course don't change color in the fall.

With regard to driving times - I live approximately at the intersection of Rtes 2 and 495, have relatives outside of Hyannis, and drive every week to Lenox because of my business. In other words, I'm on those roads regularly and I know the driving times pretty much exactly - - and this is what they are:

From Hyannis to the bridge will be 1/2 hr, then 1 hr to Rt. 2, 1 hr on Rt. 2 to I-91, 1 hr to N. Adams, 1 hr south on 7 to Lenox, then 2 hrs. back on the 'Pike to 495 - from there a bit less than 1 1/2 hr back to Hyannis or about 45 mins. into Boston. Total driving time for the round trip from Hyannis = 8 hrs. This is all without traffic or stops - i.e., realistically it will be considerably longer.

I suppose it can be done in a (very long) day, but I don't recommend it. There are many lovely inns and excellent restaurants in the Lenox/Stockbridge area (I stay at and can recommend the Cornell Inn in Lenox), but as mentioned previously you will need to make reservations right away.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 05:02 AM
Karen

Dick: If I were going to head over to Route 2 from Quincy...how long would it be if I were ONLY going to drive Route 2??? Doesn't sound like it's the 9 hours that another poster said and your posts lists it from Hyannis. Just curious. I am considering taking the drive this fall and would like to consider the time. I'd really like to see Williamsport. Is that on Route 2 or 7?

From Hyannis to the bridge will be 1/2 hr, then 1 hr to Rt. 2, 1 hr on Rt. 2 to I-91, 1 hr to N. Adams, 1 hr south on 7 to Lenox, then 2 hrs. back on the 'Pike to 495 - from there a bit less than 1 1/2 hr back to Hyannis or about 45 mins. into Boston. Total driving time for the round trip from Hyannis = 8 hrs. This is all without traffic or stops - i.e., realistically it will be considerably longer.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 05:07 AM
Rachelle

Patricia, would you consider doing just Route 2? That is what I am thinking of doing. When will you be there?

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 06:00 AM
Dick

Patricia - Starting from Quincy would obviously save considerable time. Unless you want to brave the most direct route to Route 2 (into, then out of the city), you should head around Boston on I-93/I-95 - locals still refer to this as "Route 128" - the pre-interstate designation. This will take about a half-hour, plus however long it takes you to navigate out of Quincy on the local streets. From there you can refer to the driving times in my earlier post.

A day trip as you describe starting from Quincy is easily do-able and you will have time to visit some local attractions of more than local interest, such as the revolutionary war sites in Lexington and Concord and Walden Pond. If you head out on Route 2 consider coming back at least part of the way on one of the more rural roads, such as Route 116, which is one of my favorites as it has very nice views, or Route 62. It's a small state so it's hard to get very lost.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 06:03 AM
Dick

Forgot you also asked about Williamstown (not 'port) - it's in the very northwestern corner of MA, at the intersection of Rtes. 2 and 7.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Eleanor

I called the Williamsport chamber of commerce for you. They said it is about a 2.5-3 hour drive from quincy to Williamsport which is at the intersection of Routes 2 and 7, as Dick mentioned. They have an 800 number. check out their web site for more information.
It sounds like you are concerned about lodging once you get there, since you don't know at what point to stop and enjoy your surroundings. I gather you don't just want to keep driving. The web site has lodging information and although it doesn't specify with hotel or motel comes first on the route, I'm sure they have 800 numbers where you can call to see if you want to go halfway or all the way. Good luck.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:28 AM
Rachelle

They said it was williamstownchamber.com, but I'm having no
success going there.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 10:25 AM
KarenAnn

I'll post a separate new post on this, but I really need help.

when I'm in boston and the cape, i NEVER know which way is E/W/N/S..short of carrying a compass, what is the best way to better orient myself please? I'm in florida and it's easy for me to do, as in: ocean is east, sun sets west, towards palm beach is north and towards key west is south. help please. thanks

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 10:28 AM
Blah

I think that Route 7 has a little more to see in terms of foliage, if you ask me. It's still almost 3 hours from Quincy to Route 7.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 10:46 AM
CMcDaniel

I'm in agreement with "Blah". If I were short on time I'd skip 2, take the MA Pike to exit 2, Lee, then drive rte 7. To me, 7 is the better foliage drive. The prime foliage on 2 is the segment between Williamstown and Greenfield, but then things flatten out considerably east of that point.

Even segments of the MA Pike are very beautiful. You start the climb into the Berkshires just outside of West Springfield. Portions of the road were built by blasting through mountains and the rugged rock cliffs dropping (sometimes literally) to the roadside make the drive very picturesque. In the winter these are covered by icicles from springs above. The Pike continues to climb to Otis or Beckett where you reach the highest elevation on the pike and the view sweeps away into the Berkshires. Coming back home each year this sight does give me a bit of a lump in my throat!! So...even getting to the Berkshires can be enjoyable despite it's being interstate.

Another pretty foliage drive within that area is Rte 9 from Pittsfield to Amherst. This was always the route we'd take going back to school and it too has some pretty little towns along the way. Guess adding another route is just confusing the issue though! Sorry!

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 05:25 AM
Patricia

Hi CMcDaniel: thank you so VERY much.
It's not that I'm short on time, it's that I don't know if I can handle being in the car for such looooong stretches of time. I want to be able to enjoy as much foliage in less time.

I think I will definitely try the route 7 route. Now, I just have to find I90 (that's the Mass Pike-correct?) which way will I be headed to find Exit 2? North?south? West? East? I can never get my bearings there for some reason. LOL And from Quincy, again, was Blah correct in stating it would be about 3 hours before I FOUND route 3, or the route itself would be 3 hours? Thank you so much again to you and all for your hilarious and educational input.

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 05:29 AM
Patricia

Okay, let's see if I have it all straight now. I'm going to try to post the directions for quincy to Route 7 and back.

Question before I begin: On Route 7,do I have to go all the way to Willamstown to see the beautiful foliage? The drive would probably be longer, eh?

Here goes:
Get on I90 (mass Pike) headed (which way??) to Exit 2, Lee. Is that Route 7 right away? Or do I continue on Exit 2 until I see the signs and I have to veer off somewhere?

Okay, this sounds crazy, but go ahead. I'll bite. Tell me about route 9 and the time frame I may be looking at.

As you probably already know. I want two main things: to see the different foliage along the way and not have to be in the car 4 hours. LOL Thank you again.

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 08:09 AM
CMcDaniel

Pat, You'll take the Mass Pike WEST to exit 2. Exit 2 dumps you on Rte 20 and if you follow 20 for a bit north, it merges with 7. Stockbridge however, is very pretty and you might want to stop there first. Stockbridge is SOUTH (left) of the Pike...take the same exit 2 and there will be signs at the exit directing you to Stockbridge. It's real close to the exit and well marked as it's such a big tourist destination.

You don't have to go all the way to Williamstown to see the good foliage. Do as little or as much as you'd like. Mt. Greylock is on the way to Williamstown and you might want to detour up the mountain. The road goes to the top and it's a beautiful view.

I haven't done the Rte 9 drive since I graduated from college a zillion years ago, but as I recall, it was about an hour from Pittsfield to Amherst. No need to go all the way to Amherst though as the road crosses Interstate 91 and you could take that south to the Mass Pike, then the Pike east back to Boston.

Well...we are in a hurricane warning so I'm headed SOUTH gt; to St. Pete to get sails and bimini off our boat, the lines adjusted, and hope for the best!!

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 02:49 PM
Patricia

CMcDaniel, you have been tremendously helpful to me and I thank you for all the information. I will pray that you and yours have no damage to life or property. I see it's Category 1 right now, so...hang in there...Please touch base with us here so we know you are okay. Thank you again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -