Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Martha's Vineyard too cold first week of October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Diane

Hello. I was thinking of going to Martha's Vineyard the first week of October. Is this a nice time to go or will the weather already be too cold? I have never been there before so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:41 AM
tommy

Diane-
I suppose it depends on what you want to do. I find October to be one of the most enjoyable times there. You won't want to sit on the beach in a bathing suit, but you can sit on the beach in a sweatshirt, or if youre lucky, a t shirt. Since it's off season, you will have access to the "resident only" beaches of the summer (my favorites are Lucy Vincent and Lambert Cove). My favorite things to do in October are biking, since it's not too hot and the traffic is light, picnic on the beach, and shopping (without the summer crowds). I have found that on some nights a fire in the fireplace is romantic and possible, but not necessary.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:59 PM
kathy

October is a great time to go. You will avoid the crowds and the lines. The weather will be gorgeous.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Nantucket Babe

I know that October is one of the BEST times of year for Nantucket-it's farther out than Martha's Vineyard. I wonder if Nantucket is even warmer than Martha's Vineyard because of this, or not? They say that the ocean air sort of 'envelopes' the island, covering it like a blankie....

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Diane

Thanks for your responses! Can anyone tell me is staying there for 1 week too long? I like to be outdoors, walk, hike, bike ride, relax on the beach etc.. Could anyone recommend evening entertainment, such as good bands in a casual atmosphere? I listen to all kinds of music (except RAP, yuk).

Also any restaurant recommendations would be appreciated (anything but seafood). Thanks!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 06:37 AM
tommy

Diane,
October might be late for live music on the Vineyard, but you could try the Rare Duck in Oak Bluffs. As for restaurants, I like Sweet Life Cafe, also in Oak Bluffs.

For hiking, try Long Point or Cedar Tree Neck - both are wildlife refuges that offer excellent examples of the local topography. I particularly like the beach at Cedar Tree Neck. It's a bumpy dirt road to either, and I like to mountain bike to get there. For less bumpy biking, try Correllus State Forest. It has a bike path going through it.

You might find a week to be a long time to be out there. You could try a day trip to Nantucket to break up the time.