Looking for a romantic NYC restaurant

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Isabel

Looking for a romantic NYC restaurant

My husband and I will be in New York in the fall for a great dinner and to see Kiss Me Kate. We want a romantic restaurant with outstanding food (Italian or Continental) and that is no more than a mile from the theater. We don't mind paying for a terrific meal and a wonderful experience. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:39 PM
philip

Pre-theater I think the Rene Pujol is a great find on W 51st. St. It is a Fixed Price menu and is about as good as a French restaurant can be that is not in the stratosphere cost wise. (Expect about $200 after cost of wine.)

If you are going post theater, you may want to check out Picholine on West 69th St.

Your best bet is to go onto Zagats.com. It really is the best resource for NYC restaurants. It will list by location and give you romantic spots.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Paul

Another good source is opentable.com which incorporates the Zagats reviews with the choice of making a reservation. Many good restaurants including Lespinasse and Union Sq. Cafe are included. You can pinpoint to a certain neighborhood like the Theatre District. One caveat---> many restaurants in NYC do not let you book more than a month in advance.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Isabel

Thank you--all suggestions are appreciated. I'm going to check out those sites you recommended! Any other ideas?

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:14 PM
phil

Isabel,
Let us know if you are thinking of pre-theater or post. That may help narrow the list.

I never ask a woman her age, but a hint will give me a better idea of your tastes.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Isabel

Hi Phil-We'll be having dinner pre-theater and going out for drinks after the show. I'm in my late twenties (I'm still young enough to not mind being asked my age!) I'm trying to find someplace with an elegant atmosphere and great cuisine. We go into NY a couple times a year and usually just find a place for dinner when we get there. Sometimes it's a nice surprise and sometimes a big disappointment. This time I'm trying to find a great restaurant in advance. Thanks for your help!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Diane

You're going to love Kiss Me Kate! Sorry I can't help you with a restaurant choice. I ate pizza at Carmine's when I went to see it. While not gourmet, it was delicious. Have fun!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:41 PM
steve

A few suggestions:
Orso-upscale Italian-the food is very good and it usually attracts an attractive crowd.
Firebird-Russian-very interesting space and the food is quite good.
ViceVersa-Italian-lovely space with good food.
Baldoria-Italian-very popular place-not really romantic but fine food and a fun atmosphere.
Chez Josephine-French-friendly, enjoyable spot that has a sort of decadent, old-world French romantism.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Howard

I'll also recommend Chez Josephine and Orso. In either case make reservations well in advance, especially on a weekend.
Chez Josephine is probably our favorite NY restaurant. Excellent food, service and ambiance. And, a definite plus is Jean-Claude Baker, the owner and maitre d'.
Orso is a fine Italian restaurant.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Andy

My favorite romantic high end to die for restaurant in the theater dist. is Le Bernadin- pre fix and TERRIFIC- runs about $150 per couple but worth every penny- everytime we go to NY we make sure we eat there-it's a gourmet delight--
ALso someone mentioned ORSO-it is GREAT Italian food and open late after theater. Carmine's is a family style Italian Rest. that gives more quantity than quality and is terribly noisy!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:38 AM
philip

Isabel,
Now that I know your age think I can narrow your choices. (Personally, for someone in our age group, i think the sexiest (most romantic) resturants are Ches Es Saada and Flor de Sol, both downtown.

I digress, in midtown pre-theather Le Bernadin is a great choice as mentioned above. Also consider, Esca (new from Mario Batali) or Rachel's American Bistro (that may not be high end enough for you.) Bryant Park Grill has marginal food but a great location.

For drinks try King Cole Bar on E. 55th or the Algonquin Hotel.