Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket?? Both??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Cape Cod from the 26th of Sept. untill the 2nd of Oct. at a timeshare resort in Mashpee. We will be doing various side trips through out the week. Is it worth it,( both) or does anyone recommend one island or another?I think i would like to do both for day trips but would like opinions as to whether it's worth it. We will have a rental car but feel as if it may not be worth the added expense to bring a car onto these islands. Is that a good idea? Also, when we get there ( for only a day what would you recommend as far as making the most for the day?? Things to see or do?? Restaurant for dinner?? Thanks
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:09 PM

If you'd like to visit both, go for it! There are two ferry services to the islands - Steamship Authority and Hy-Line (both have websites).

You can "land" at either Oak Bluffs or Vineyard Haven on Martha's Vineyard. There is plenty to see and do within walking distance of the ferry dock. Same goes for Nantucket. Nantucket is smaller, and there are tour buses directly opposite the ferry dock for a tour of the entire island - leaving plenty of time to stroll all about, do some shopping, enjoy a nice meal, before taking the ferry back.

You wouldn't need (or want) the car for a day trip.

On the ferry boats, you'll find plenty of free newspapers and literature for seeing and doing and dining, which you can peruse on the way over. If you wish to plan ahead, there are lots of websites chock full of information.

You can pretty much cover all of the Cape in a few days in the car, so if you want to visit both islands, day trips are definitely worthwhile.

While there, highly recommend popping into the visitor's offices to pick up literature for future reference!

For in-depth information, however, I highly recommend "Cape Cod, An Explorer's Guide".
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Both islands have websites. Check calendars to see if there are any special events that might affect when (or if) you go. Here's some Nantucket info

http://www.nantucket.net/

Calendar here
http://nantucketonline.com/events.php?limit=n

This site gives info on a walking tour (daily at 2:15pm on your dates)
http://www.nha.org/newhourshome.htm

but it doesn't include some of the old homes like the Macy and Coffin houses (set up as museums). Can't seem to find open hour info on those which I really like.

The restaurants on Nantucket are excellent and many are expensive (and somewhat dressy).

Thread with rest. recos and an interesting POV on a daytrip

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34496390

An older rest. thread for Nantucket.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=1&tid=1376662

There are also several MV rest. threads and LOADS of Nantucket vs MV threads if you do a search.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Djkbooks!!You also answered a restaurant question for me for New Hampshire as well. Funny thing is i had Sunset Hill house booked to stay for two nights but changed my mind to Lovett's B&B. Hope i did the right thing!
Thank you Mc Laurie as well. Great threads. I always feel like you can research and read about a place all you want but untill you get honest information from people who "have been there, done that" that is what i tend to rely on the most.It has worked for me so far thanks to all the Fodorites!!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:27 AM

One other point worth considering--the trip to Nantucket is over 2 1/2 hours on the regular ferry from Hyannis but on the "fast ferry" is only 1 hour. This relatively recent service makes Nantucket much more accessible as a day trip. Of course it is a lot more expensive so you will have to decide about time vs money. We have done it both ways and loved the fast one. To Martha's Vimeyard from either Falmouth--on the Island Queen or from Woods Hole on the Steamship Authority, it is only a 35-45 minute trip. Personally, if you have time for only one, I would recommend Nantucket b/c the ferry drops you right in the center of things. On Martha's Vineyard the towns are a little spread out from each other, altho there is a tour bus of the island that usually meets the ferries--if it is still running in the fall, not sure about that. In Nantucket since there really is only one main town, you can take a long leisurely stroll of Nantucket Town, immediately upon arriving with no need of other transport.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Like Socialworker says Nantucket only has one town while MV has several and has a whole lot more to see and do. On my first visit to MV I hopped on a tour bus out of Oak Bluffs to get my bearing of the island (although I came into Vineyard Haven). Sure you can take a bus from town to town---Edgartown, OakBluffs and Vineyard Haven and walk around but I feel you need a car just to drive around. The little town of Menashaw (sorry spelling) is really a pain to get to without a bike or car.Also you can take the little boat over to Chapaquidick (another spelling error) to give it a look see.Have fun wherever you end up.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:26 PM

I prefer Martha's Vineyard over Nantucket. First, I know it better, but it is less pretentious than Nantucket, and has more varied terrain and views. Martha's Vineyard has beautiful beaches, interesting towns, rolling hills and farms, and the indescribable Aquinnah clay cliffs. You can see all from a tour bus on a day trip. Nantucket is quainter, and is certainly worth a trip, as well, but it is farther out, as people have said. It is not worth the cost and trouble to get a car over for one day to either island, but you can rent cars there. If you want info about the Vineyard, I have prepared a personal guide based on my years of travel there. I would be glad to e-mail [email protected]
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM

I prefer the Vineyard, though they are both lovely. I think Nantucket is better for a day trip though, for the reasons above - there is only one town and it is more accessible for day-trippers.

Many of the best things about the Vineyard won't be obvious to people going for such a short time. That said, of the Vineyard towns Edgartown would be best for a day trip