Martha's Vineyard

Old May 4th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Marie

Martha's Vineyard

If one takes the ferry to Martha's Vineyard, leaving car behind on the mainland, are there tour buses or vans one could hire for a trip of the island??? If so, are they a short walk from the ferry terminal? Thanks.

Old May 4th, 2000, 09:04 AM
TW

Island Transport has guided tours in pink school buses. They depart from the ferry terminals in Vineyard Haven and Oak Bluffs.

Old May 4th, 2000, 09:12 AM
Mac

Costs a little more (OK, more than a little more) to take a car over, but the extra convenience, $$ saved not using other transport, and freedom are strong arguments. We've done it both ways. Taking the car sure is easier.

Old May 4th, 2000, 03:09 PM
helen

But if you take previous poster's suggestion and take your car on the ferry, beware that from Memorial Day til Labor Day, especially on the weekends or other peak travel times, you MUST make a reservation for your vehicle or risk spending hrs waiting in line. If you are renting a house for a week or something similar, often the rental comes with ferry tix. If you're staying close to where the ferry docks, you could bring bikes.

Old May 4th, 2000, 06:24 PM
marie

TW - thanks for the information, very helpful. Mac and Helen, appreciate your comments also, but we are having a motorcoach trip to Cape Cod, and this visit to Martha's Vineyard would be "on our own", and so we wouldn't have a car available to take. Appreciate the comments. thanks

Old May 5th, 2000, 08:40 AM
TW

Marie-
It's me again. I found the website for Island Transport. It outlines all of the options available.
www.islandtransport.com

If the weather is nice and you have time and energy, bike riding is also a pleasant means of travel around the island. There is a bike rental shop diagonally across the corner from the ferry parking lot in Vineyard Haven which I used last year. I dont remeber the price, but it was reasonable and the staff helpful.

Old May 5th, 2000, 11:03 AM
charles

There is also frequent (every 15 mins) bus service between the down island towns (ie. edgartown, vineyard haven, Oak Bluffs

THere are are many different tours, most of which meet the ferrys at the dock. Try the MVTIMES.com site for links

Old May 5th, 2000, 07:19 PM
Beth

Marie,
you could also hire a taxi, or rent a car for your tour. I believe if you call in advance you can get picked up at the ferry. So if you'd rather something more private thats the way to do it.