Search

Marriott Univ of MA to DC transportation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
wug
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marriott Univ of MA to DC transportation

I'm staying at the Marriott Hotel and Conference Center in Adelphi right next to Univ of Maryland. I'm wondering what the best way is to get into DC. I've talked with someone at the hotel but didn't get very far. She seemed to be put out by having to answer all my questions.
I thought maybe some of the Fodorites could help me. Thanks so much!!
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 12:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
From the title, I thought you were staying at the University of Massachusetts. That would be a harder connection.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:19 AM

You could try the trip planner for the DC Metro; it's at www.wmata.com . Or call the hotel back and talk to somebody else.

The University does have a stop on the Metro subway system, at College Park, but I don't know where that is in relation to the hotel.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:25 AM
wug
Original Poster

OOPS! I started to type out Maryland and then just stopped at MA, you're right, it looks like Massachusetts. Sorry about that. It's Univ. of Maryland
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM

That hotel is basically right on campus. On the edge, along University Blvd. You have to go the college website or www.wmata.com (as suggested above) for more info. I think only college students and people who have stayed at the hotel would be familiar with the info you seek.

Have you checked the trip planner that Anonymous suggested?
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM

The College Park station is on the other end of campus. You could take a quick cab ride to the Metro station; it would be a very long walk.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
wug
Original Poster

Thanks Mike T. And thank you Anonymous for the website. The thing I mainly wondered about was the distance to the station so now I know it'll be a long walk or cab to even start the journey.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM

I drove someone to that station from a class once (I was taking a night class, not a traditional college student). I was surprised by how far it was. It is across Rt. 1 and down a road if I remember correctly.

If you go to www.wmata.com and then go to maps and click on College Park, you might be able to find a map which shows you where it is. I think there is a campus shuttle that takes students from the campus to the Metro station.

I think we have all been assuming you won't have a car.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Yes, it is across campus, down Rt. 1 and then left. The college park station is closer to Riverdale (FYI for those who live in the area). I would be very surprised if there were not a shuttle from the conference center to the metro or, at least, a stop at the conference center by the student shuttle.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM
wug
Original Poster

I hadn't thought about a student shuttle that may stop at the Conference Center. That'd be awesome. Thanks so much.

You're right, I won't have a car. I'm going to be in charge of a group that's coming in to DC on Monday and we'll have a bus picking us up starting that day, I'm on my own on Sunday though so trying to figure it out. You all have been great!!