marriott ohau or kauai????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have Marriott Points to spend. We are thinking about going next spring break. 2 adults in our 30's, we have both been to Maui, BI, and my husband has been to Ohau.
We are thinking the Jw Ihilani, or either Marriott's (resort or Waiohai) on Kauai. We will do some sight seeing, but really there to relax, spa, golf, snorkel, and hang out at beach or pool,etc.
Which Marriott will be best?????
I really appreciate any help for those of you who have stayed on these islands or these places!!!!
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:13 PM

um, you mean Oahu, right?
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 06:06 PM

Unfortunately, I can only speak to one hotel, and that is Ihilani on Oahu.

Stayed there last October and thorouhgly enjoyed my stay. Had a room on the 10th floor overlooking the pool and ocean. Wonderful staff, room, amenities, resturant, etc. If I remember, about 15-20 minutes from Pearl Harbor and then another 15-20 to Waikiki.

Away from the hustle and bustle of the "city" atmosphere but a comfortable driving distance to everything.

Would advise a visit to tripadvisor.com for additional hotel reviews.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 06:45 PM

That time of year I think I would go to Oahu and in Waikiki. Are we talking March/April? I like that part of Waikiki because you can get out of there so easily. Waikiki is also the south side of the island so you will be hitting most of the sun here.

Nice to stroll along the beach there at night too. There are a couple of golf courses from my memory close by.

You know this is a city beach though so should not expect the isolation you may have experienced on Maui or that you would at your other Marriot locations. Going to Honolulu is more about getting around the island to more isolated spots while taking in cultural activities in between. And then of course eating the best food of all the islands.

Ihilani would be nice but I like the Marriott in Waikiki. Again because its location edge of Waikiki and closer to my favorite side of oahu (just 20 minutes over the Pali on the windward side). If I were considering iolani I would want to know how far I would be from other attractions. I think and I could be wrong but aren't you 45 minutes from the North Shore at the Iolani, how long from windward side? These are gorgeous spots on Oahu that I don't think you would want to take too much time getting to and from. How far would Ihilani put you from both this spots? That would be an issue for me.

That is my concern about the marriot on kauai. That time of year you would want to be on the south side most of the time and you are 30 minutes from Lihue I believe, (and again I could be wrong, I am always the passenger (the passive passenger at that).

The suggestion at trip advisor is a good one.

I hope I have not confused you further.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:58 PM

Since you specifically mentioned that you want to "relax, spa, golf, snorkel, and hang out at a beach or pool", the Kaua`i Marriott at Kalapaki Bay would give you all of that.

Kaua`i Lagoons Golf Course is oceanfront and challenging; Marriott spa has a great reputation here on the island; the hotel's beach is well-protected from large waves and wind; dining choices are plentiful on site (and now that Portofino's has moved there...yum!).
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great replies!! Any more out there???

Sarah-My problem with the Marriott in Oahu is that I'm going on vacation to get away, not be surrounded by more people. I know this area can be very crowded, especially around sping break time.???!!!!

I believe that the Marriott is in Lihue, is this correct?? I also recall that the other Marriott (Waiohai) is a new time share on Poipu Bay. Would this be the "sunny side" of the island for March???

Any help on these islands, or resorts/timeshares would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:38 PM

The Marriott, born a Westin whose grounds were christened "Kauai Lagoons" is in Lihue, home to both the airport and a commercial harbor where the cruise ships anchor. The original hotel was walloped by Hurricane Iniki. Good golf. The east has the least desireable beaches, especially for swimming. Poipu normally is the sunniest part of the island, overcast only 5-10% of the time.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:04 PM
bonniebroad

I would vote for the Marriott Waiohai......... we were there before the hurricane, (I know the resort is very different now), but the location on Poipu Beach can't be beat.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 05:11 PM

I have been to the Lihue Marriott. It is a nice hotel if you can take a hotel for more than a couple of nights. No worries about travel to other landscapes if you are going to remain on hotel grounds for the length of your stay.

The Ihilani property again if you don't care about leaving the pool/golf course no worries in seeing Windward and North Shores, restaurants, museums.

Have a great time.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:44 PM

I have visted friends while they were staying at the Marriott Waiohai on Poipu. They were in a two bedroom oceanview unit. It was very nice.

There is not a restaurant on site but there is a deli/market. We grabbed a quick made to order sandwich which was good. It is a short walk to the Poipu Shopping village which has Roy's and Keoki's. The popular Beach House Restaurant is a 5 minute drive if that.

There are two pools, pool bar and a nice beach which is next to poipu beach park. There is also an area there where you can snorkel. For golfng there is the Kiahuna Course and the Poipu Bay course next to the Hyatt. Not sure if that is the correct name. You can also go to the spas at the Hyatt and Sheraton. Both are close by.

We enjoyed our day there so much that we are trying to stay there over Easter. Kauai is awesome.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great replies! I think we will consider the Waiohai.

Anita-Is the timeshare right on the beach or does it have access to the beach?
Thank-you!!

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:33 PM

There is a sand beach right in front of the resort. As I said earlier it also connects to Poipu Beach Park which has a huge stretch of beach.

They didn't have any beach cabanas but they were either selling or renting
umbrellas.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:26 AM

CSBM I would choose Poipu but you should know you will be around a number of other properties on that beach. It will not have the isolation of the Lihui or Ihilani property.
Just an fyi.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:10 AM

Lihue would be my last choice. The only things nice there are the pool and grounds.

Poipu has the best location.

Ihilani has the best hotel and resort feel.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 03:58 AM

For things Marriott one of the best places to do research is the Marriott Rewards forum at www.flyertalk.com.

Besides the awards program those folks talk/discuss/analyze/disect just about anything and everything having to do with Marriott, Courtyard, Renaissance and other Marriott brands as well as their timeshares. It also includes quality/ambiance of properties.

You might want to go there as well as tripadvisor.com and do a lookup using their search engine.

W/regards to the Waiohai - we visited there as well. It was actually the Stouffer Waiohai and my wife and I remember it fondly, and would have made a point of returning had it not been destroyed by Iniki. It was located on the south shore of Poipu Beach, which was devastated by Iniki.

BTW, Stouffer eventually became Renaissance and was subsequently acquired by Marriott.

Anyway, the Waiohai property remained a devastated relic for years (insurance coverage hassles) and was eventually leveled and rebuilt as a Marriott timeshare.

It in a configuration barely resembled the wonderful property it replaced and does not appear to be our cup of tea, so next time around we'll probably try the Hyatt Regency Kaui.

You can check it out the (new) Waiohai on Marriott.com.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:34 AM
bonniebroad

rahmanbar, the OLD Waiohai was our first resort experience in the Islands, and we loved it so. We were so disappointed with what happened with the hurricane, etc. We had loved being there, and walking over to Plantation Gardens and Brennecke's to eat. We will go back to the new one, just for old time's sake, to stay "on the spot" for a couple of nights.......... but I know it won't be the same, of course. The first time I walked around that resort at night, I thought I was in a Bond movie........ so lovely!

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Bonniebroad-

Ah, Benneke's Broiler...

If you ever run across a TV showing (or VHS/DVD) of Honeymoon In Vegas
you'll get a quick look/reminder at/of the Waiohai, pre-Iniki.

Just a couple of night scenes - Nicholas Gage at the entrance (though you can't see the frontage) and Gage, Sarah Jessica Parker and James Cann on the lawn.

I'm sure you'll recognize the location as the Waiohai (and it's confirmed in the end credits).

I've seen pictures of the reincarnated Waiohai and though the location's the same it really doesn't do anything for us.

My guess is that the Marriott Wailea in Maui (formerly Stouffer Wailea Resort) would be closer in ambiance.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:42 AM
bonniebroad

Rahmanbar, we feel the ambience is similar at the Renaissance Wailea on Maui (used to be Stouffer's Wailea). We've been there several times now, and LOVE the place, is now our favorite resort in the Islands. Alas, the last time we went to Brennecke's, I felt they had gotten too big for their britches......... and am not sure I'd go back. Well, probably, once more, for old time's sake and their great Mai Tai's!

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Right - Stouffer Wailea = Renaissance Wailea (which is what I intended to post but screwed it up.)

On our next trip I hope to go there, but the wife enjoyed herself so much at the Hyatt Regency Maui she really wants to stay there when we return to the island.